Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I believe that people should work less hours

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Its nice to have mantras to make getting through a shitty day seem a little less hard, and a little less pointless.
    It must be nice to have a job that just barely makes your life eek beyond meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    living in a 500 sq' shit hole apartment
    The hell? Why would a person need more than 500 sq ft?? I work for myself and earn 5x the cost of my rent, and I choose to stay in my 500 sq ft apartment because it's plenty of space for me. What a weird thing to say. There are people with plenty of money choosing to live in places that are like 300 sq ft because they require even less space than I do. So yeah, I'm satisfied living in a 500-square-foot apartment despite being able to afford something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I started working for me a few months ago... and I wouldn't say that I effectively work less... but I spend less time at work which is really cool.
    Nice!! It is great working for yourself I teach fewer hours for more pay now than I did when I taught for agencies, but I work the same amount because now I have to arrange contracts and payment, structure my courses, acquire materials, etc, etc. Despite the fact that it's the same number of hours, I much prefer this. I mean, obviously more money is great, but it's awesome to have the freedom to work how I want to and really make a difference with what I do. I didn't know you made the switch! Congrats on that - and you managed so early after graduating!

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Thats cool. You can keep your work ethic, I'm quite happy with my abundant free time to pursue hobbies and a social life, and the wage to support this.
    There are multiple factors in why Americans are so unhealthy compared to Europeans, but this is definitely one of them. Americans have much higher stress levels and are much less happy overall. Contributing to society is important to me. However, 1) contributing to society until you are worn down to less than a person is not worth it, and 2) most jobs nowadays don't truly contribute to society, in my opinion.

Also the opportunity to not have my body worn down to a fragile, painful mess by the time I retire.
    Dude, I know a guy who's turning 50 in January and literally nobody believes his age when he tells them. I made him show me his ID because I was certain he's no more than 35. He also behaves and moves like a guy in his mid-to-late 30s. His secret? He lives in Europe but works remotely for a company based on Seattle. He gets up around 11am every day, starts his work on his own around 1 or 2pm, his company starts work at 4pm European time, so he's already a bit ahead of the game when they start, he gets his stuff done throughout the day while sitting at a cafe/bar. He never has to get up early, he's rarely stressed about deadlines, and he doesn't have multiple bosses breathing down his neck every day. He puts in a good 40 hours of work a week and is highly important to his company. And he basically hasn't aged in 15 years. He is my idol in terms of work and aging/health.

Some say hard work makes you stronger...both in mind and body. It develops discipline and a mentality that difficult times can be met without worry. It's been said that it actually gives some people a certain amount of personal satisfaction that only hard work (be it physical or mental) can bring. Call it human nature/survival of the fittest. Others, they are happy to do just enough to get by.
    Working hard != working long hours. That's a common fallacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Well, how the fuck anyone could live in a 500 sq' apartment and not go frigging cookoo is beyond me. Holy fucking shitballs that is tiny and I was joking when I said 500 sq'. People really live this way...on PURPOSE? Where the fuck do you put all your shit? My frigging skateboard collection wouldn't fit in there.

Lol that's exactly what i live in. And when i say "i", i mean "we"...

But we also live in a really cool place... (I mean, beside the homeless shelter, the probation center and the psychiatric hospital of course... )

how many square feet do you live in Moto ? And is it yours or your parents ? (i dont mean to be rude, i just have no idea what your age is) also, are you living in a big city ? Just curious of hpw much housing costs in the us...

thanks llamas by the way and congratulations to you too! :-)
    Last edited by Harleyquiiinn; 11-21-2013 at 01:54 PM.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I wasn't making fun of anyone on purpose by saying 500 sq', just stunned that people choose to live in such a small space. I never even conceived of living like that. I couldn't live like that. I am crazy enough without hitting a wall every 5 steps. Yes, I have my own home.

Lol skateboard collection. Well I guess you have time to enjoy it on the weekends.

I get paid 13 months a year. The 13th month is vacation pay. This country is nuts, though Denmark is consistently rated happiest country in the world. I think a large part of that is the time and money available for self-fulfillment. I mean really Moto, look at the way you write, you broadcast bitterness and defensiveness yet somehow think your approach is best. But hey, at least you can enjoy your large apartment and skateboard collection on your off hours. Even if its relatively few, there are places that have even worse working conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Lol...skateboards. I know it sounds dorky, but I have had many of them for years. Not for display or anything, most are in closets and stored away. Anyway, I don't live in an apartment...it's a house. I can't speak for other's, but as for me, put me in a foreign country (or anywhere) without a decent amount of land and living space, my happiness and quality of life would not be what I consider good. I need my room to scratch my balls n such.

I'm a freelancer, sometimes I work 60 hours a week (or more), other times I don't work at all (let's call those forced vacations ), most people can't understand how I manage to keep my sanity without a routine, but it works perfectly for me, who else does freelancer work?

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    how many square feet do you live in Moto ? And is it yours or your parents ? (i dont mean to be rude, i just have no idea what your age is) also, are you living in a big city ? Just curious of hpw much housing costs in the us...
    I have the same questions. Except I can tell you that 500 sq ft/47 m2 in a proper city in the US will run you around $500-600/month. Depends on the city, where in the city, and quality of the apt, but just comparing the fact that I had a very similar apartment in Minneapolis as I do here in Ljubljana; my apartment here is 400-450/month, and the one in MPLS was $600-650/month. So it was a little more expensive.

I wasn't making fun of anyone on purpose by saying 500 sq', just stunned that people choose to live in such a small space. I never even conceived of living like that. I couldn't live like that. I am crazy enough without hitting a wall every 5 steps. Yes, I have my own home.
    Lol...skateboards. I know it sounds dorky, but I have had many of them for years. Not for display or anything, most are in closets and stored away. Anyway, I don't live in an apartment...it's a house. I can't speak for other's, but as for me, put me in a foreign country (or anywhere) without a decent amount of land and living space, my happiness and quality of life would not be what I consider good. I need my room to scratch my balls n such.
    What's the square footage? Do you live there alone? If you work 50 hours a week and sleep ~56 hours a week, plus let's add in an hour a day for commute, that doesn't leave you with all that much time in a week to enjoy your huge house.

I have a nice little place. I have a spacious living room, decent kitchen, and a small bathroom and bedroom (works for me because I don't need space in those rooms). I also have a garden and a door from my bedroom out to that garden. The only things I'd really like to have are more counter space in the kitchen, a full oven (I have a dishwasher but no oven... how stupid were the designers of this place, haha), and a bathtub. But more space? I'll search for more space when I'm ready to do all my teaching from home and need a second room for an office/classroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

It's just a normal house I suppose. I think it's like 3900 with the basement. Three bedrooms, 2 bath, two garages etc... I am finishing the basement as we speak at Moto speed. Which means...slow. Putting another bathroom downstairs cause a single guy living alone needs to scrub his junk every now and again.