Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I believe that people should work less hours

See, even WCM gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    You have to be, without question, the biggest idiot on this forum. I don't make sammiches genius. I'm a cobbler.
    How in fuck is this still an occupation that exists, let alone one that gives you a steady 50 hours work? Do you work out of a guild-approved oxencart wedged between the farrier's shop and the candlestick maker?

You have to be, without question, the biggest idiot on this forum. I don't make sammiches genius. I'm a cobbler.
    Are you a shoemaker who repairs shoes, rather than manufacturing them, or an illegal professional who creates false passports, visas, diplomas and other documents?
    -Chuck Berry is actually a blackberry...

Quote Originally Posted by steinberg View Post
    Off spring show is the most source of entertainment in the new generation.
    -Gotta love bots...

Illegal??? Is that a sick bird?

Default 4 the $$$

We're slavery 2 money.

It's not forced slavery on anyone. Anytime someone feels this way, just don't work.

The thread title should read "fewer hours".

A candle(stick) maker is called a chandler.

A cobbler's trade is a pretty useful one, to this day.

Yeah, I really don't get when people say they want fewer hours to work. It's easy enough to do. Just figure your monthly expenses and hourly rate, then work those hours that cover your everyday known bills. Done. If you have problems in the future and can't afford something, oh well. If you have less than others, don't be jealous, you made the choice. What some people actually want is to be grossly overpaid for their efforts.

It's not forced slavery on anyone. Anytime someone feels this way, just don't work.
    But a lot of people like you don't like welfare, so the choice to just not work surely means death, then. I totally see the parallels between slavery and how our lives are connected to money. If it wasn't so, people like Heidemarie Schwermer would be much more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    The thread title should read "fewer hours".
    It irks me every time I see the title because it's an error, but I also think it's stupid that we have two different words for the same meaning. It'd make sense to just get rid of "few" and "fewer" and just use "little" and "less" for everything, countable or not.

Yeah, I really don't get when people say they want fewer hours to work. It's easy enough to do. Just figure your monthly expenses and hourly rate, then work those hours that cover your everyday known bills. Done.
    You can not possibly be this dense. What's being argued here is not that people want to work part time, but that the full-time work week is way too long these days. If you work for yourself and choose to work 50+ hours a week, that's great. But it's a load of crap that most full-time jobs these days have you working wayyyy more than 40 hours a week, for the same salaries that were offered 15 years ago for 40 hours a week.

What some people actually want is to be grossly overpaid for their efforts.
    Some people do actually seem to want that, I agree. But I don't see that being the argument in this thread. A friend of mine told me recently that his boss walked in to the office one morning and said, "I've noticed that a lot of you already leave around 5. We need to change that." They start their days at 8. Being at work 45 hours a week is not enough for bosses anymore.
    Last edited by Llamas; 12-01-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    But a lot of people like you don't like welfare, so the choice to just not work surely means death, then. I totally see the parallels between slavery and how our lives are connected to money. If it wasn't so, people like Heidemarie Schwermer would be much more common.

You can not possibly be this dense. What's being argued here is not that people want to work part time, but that the full-time work week is way too long these days. If you work for yourself and choose to work 50+ hours a week, that's great. But it's a load of crap that most full-time jobs these days have you working wayyyy more than 40 hours a week, for the same salaries that were offered 15 years ago for 40 hours a week.

Some people do actually seem to want that, I agree. But I don't see that being the argument in this thread. A friend of mine told me recently that his boss walked in to the office one morning and said, "I've noticed that a lot of you already leave around 5. We need to change that." They start their days at 8. Being at work 45 hours a week is not enough for bosses anymore.
    Yeah, if you decide not to work, I'm all for people dropping over dead from hunger. Their choice...and a stupid one. Don't care about them. They're self inflicted brain damage won't bother my day. If I understand you correctly, to some degree welfare plays a role if people work or not. It shouldn't ever have any bearing whatsoever if you support yourself. Your supposed to support yourself. You shouldn't ever rely on someone else to provide for you because your to fucking lazy or want more free time. If you need to work 70 hours a week to support yourself and your lifestyle, so be it. Whatever. If it takes 30, fine too. You want free time? Go ahead. But when you get cold and hungry, don't go crawling to welfare to support your sorry ass. If you have wants and needs and simply won't do it because it cuts into your free time, that's your problem.