Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I believe that people should work less hours

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Yeah, if you decide not to work, I'm all for people dropping over dead from hunger. Their choice...and a stupid one. Don't care about them. They're self inflicted brain damage won't bother my day. If I understand you correctly, to some degree welfare plays a role if people work or not. It shouldn't ever have any bearing whatsoever if you support yourself. Your supposed to support yourself. You shouldn't ever rely on someone else to provide for you because your to fucking lazy or want more free time. If you need to work 70 hours a week to support yourself and your lifestyle, so be it. Whatever. If it takes 30, fine too. You want free time? Go ahead. But when you get cold and hungry, don't go crawling to welfare to support your sorry ass. If you have wants and needs and simply won't do it because it cuts into your free time, that's your problem.
    So you agree that we are slaves to money, then? There's tons of work I can do all day long every day and not get paid for - work that truly benefits others and would better society, but there's no money in it. So tons of people do bullshit jobs that are not actually beneficial to society (many are, in fact, harmful) in order to make money so they don't die. Money is not natural. People invented the idea that we should exchange pieces of paper and metal, and then have them made by a government, in order to compensate and be compensated for the work we do.

Furthermore, one can not be truly self-sufficient these days - pretty much impossible. Even if you grow all your own food (good luck getting and paying for the permits to do so), build your house yourself (good luck getting and paying for the equipment and materials to do so), and make your own clothes, you're still not free.

And a big side note, why should a guy who plays basketball very well get paid millions for working far less than a full-time schedule, but a guy who builds our bridges have to work 50 hours a week to feed his kids? The former may be rarer, but they do nothing more than entertain people. The latter is necessary so that we can cross rivers and get around - get to our jobs. It's not simply about the number of hours you work. It's sad how an uneducated person who lives in a poor neighborhood and has 10 children is demonized, but Antonio Cromartie is praised because he's paid a shit load of money to play a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    So you agree that we are slaves to money, then? There's tons of work I can do all day long every day and not get paid for - work that truly benefits others and would better society, but there's no money in it. So tons of people do bullshit jobs that are not actually beneficial to society (many are, in fact, harmful) in order to make money so they don't die. Money is not natural. People invented the idea that we should exchange pieces of paper and metal, and then have them made by a government, in order to compensate and be compensated for the work we do.

Furthermore, one can not be truly self-sufficient these days - pretty much impossible. Even if you grow all your own food (good luck getting and paying for the permits to do so), build your house yourself (good luck getting and paying for the equipment and materials to do so), and make your own clothes, you're still not free.

And a big side note, why should a guy who plays basketball very well get paid millions for working far less than a full-time schedule, but a guy who builds our bridges have to work 50 hours a week to feed his kids? The former may be rarer, but they do nothing more than entertain people. The latter is necessary so that we can cross rivers and get around - get to our jobs. It's not simply about the number of hours you work. It's sad how an uneducated person who lives in a poor neighborhood and has 10 children is demonized, but Antonio Cromartie is praised because he's paid a shit load of money to play a game.
    Slaves? Not hardly. Money is a means to an end. If you were in the middle of the woods you be a slave to simple survival. Don't get so ahead of yourself. You have to exist...period. In this society, money is that means. Nobody is truely self sufficient, no doubt. I can't make an cel phone. If you want nice shit, you gotta go get it. But nobody owes you your next breath.

Sports athletes? We're on the same page dear. Grotesquely over-rated, over paid. Mind boggling. That being said, are Dexter and Noodles overpaid? They have waaaayyyy more $$$ than they'll ever need and what they do is hardly fucking brain surgery. What really pisses me are the team owners who extort cities to build their god damn stadiums.