Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IS that racist ?

Default IS that racist ?

That woman, who is a journalist for ELLE france, dressed as Solange Knowles to a party that had the theme "Icons".

I don't know her, and I don't care but apparently, she posted this photo on Twitter and it really shocked people, on the other side of the Atlantic especially.

I get that slavery and discrimination is a huge part of american history... And that, as I read, it was considered very funny to mock black people in the XIXth century by painting your face in black...

But appart from that, I really don't see how this is racist. This woman decided to dress herself as someone she admires and who happened to be black. It wasn't to mock black people in general.

What do you think ?

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

1 members appreciate this post.

I agree with you. Over Halloween I remember reading some things that spoke of how racist it was to dress like this....but...I don't think so. I mean, if you're dressing up as someone you admire, and you want to look the part, then what's the problem?

Celebrities do it too. I do it to my heros, icons, idols etc.

Iwant to say two quick points.

1. Definitions of what is racist or not are in large part cultural. What is racist in America may not be racist in France and vice versa. How you address racism also clearly differs.

2. People on the internet love to be offended. Its addictive and makes them feel better about themselves. This is whats happening here. In fact it happens on this bbs all the time, just look at Moto, constantly offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

This isn't racist... [to be continued]
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

...but this totally is! [to be finished]
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Yes, it's incredibly racist for Americans to assume that all foreign cultures share their very specifically American sensibilities.

Why are there two instances of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Definitions of what is racist or not are in large part cultural. What is racist in America may not be racist in France and vice versa.
    Exactly. Blacking up is always considered to be racist in the US regardless of intent. Everyone knows this and so if an American breaks this rule they are being racist. Like a white person saying nigger. There's no acceptable context. It's always considered racist.

Obviously Americans are going to apply their own normative values to the rest of the world. We all do to some extent but with a culture like theirs it's going to be powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    ...but this totally is! [to be finished]
    I see what you did there!
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I agree with you. Over Halloween I remember reading some things that spoke of how racist it was to dress like this....but...I don't think so. I mean, if you're dressing up as someone you admire, and you want to look the part, then what's the problem?
    I think I can see why blacking up for Halloween could be considered particularly problematic.

Which monster should I be this year? Vampire? Too sparkly. Zombie? Culturally overexposed. I know, I'll be a black!

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    This isn't racist... [to be continued]
    I see what you did there!
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

I have no idea why... I reported it this morning though...

Wheelchairman, I would agree with you but when I read the comments under the article about this, on a french website, the comments were not that clear. Some people actually thought this was offensive (I agree completely with your second point )

It also reminded me of how the movie "Intouchables" that was a huge success here was considered racist in the US because a black guy was helping and entertaining a white rich guy...

My friend has this theory that he calls "Cyber-colonialism" and that has to do with the fact that US companies, with american values, are the leader of the internet. And because of that, American notions, that are mainly cultural, become the values of the whole world. I'll try and get him here to explain it better than I do but I think this is quite true...

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !