Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Walker is DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    ...Meanwhile, I was and still am affected by the fact that the owner and founder of the British International School of Ljubljana - who was also a father and around 40 - died three weeks ago in a car accident. I had interacted with him several times (I almost applied for a position at the school, some of my students' children go to that school...) and had a lot of respect for him. He ran the best International school in the country. I am now worried about the future of the school... all the kids who attend the school... the school's staff (some of whom I know)... etc. He did everything for that place, and there is no comparable school in the country. And yet I'm hearing more people talking about Walker's death than his. Yes, this kind of thing bothers me. I guess I could just throw my hands up and say, "That's just how it is," but I can't help but be saddened by it.

And no, I don't agree that complaining about this kind of thing is needless, nor is it more obnoxious than the fake sympathy.
    No offense meant, but I'm sure I'll offend you. Your comparison between a celebrity known worldwide by probably a billion people and the owner of some obscure british school is fucking stupid. I get it, I really do, but it's stupid. Paul Walker's death is news for the masses. Your friends death, while tragic and unfortunate is no more or less important to me than any other stranger who dies. Both were seemingly good people who died way too young by what apears to be no fault of their own. One just happend to be known by 20% of the planet. I wouldn't worry too much about such things personally.

I led with a tongue-in-cheek hyperbolic comment
    It took me a while to figure that out though. Which means a lot of people just wouldn't have got it at all. And I love tongue-in-cheek hyperbolic comments.

I think maybe you needed just a dash more hyperbole. Maybe another half?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    It took me a while to figure that out though. Which means a lot of people just wouldn't have got it at all. And I love tongue-in-cheek hyperbolic comments.

I think maybe you needed just a dash more hyperbole. Maybe another half?
    I thought the post about She's All That with the picture of him in his beach clothes was enough to give it away, but I guess not - always hard to gauge how much is enough on the internet. :P I mean, by the time I made that post, I was clearly aware that he was famous for bigger things than that movie... and yet calling him a D-list actor... well, I guess I need to be more obvious and ruin everything :P

Moto, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the people whose lives he's affected - the people in this city and even country. And he wasn't my friend. But I'm well aware by now that you lack reading comprehension skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

When I said me...I was referring to the universal me. Everyone.

My reading skillz are just as well as anyotherbody's. That being said, I do understand the cryptic point you were trying to convey.

The death of the owner and founder of the British International School of Ljubljana is more important, no doubt, but the death of Paul Walker is more entertaining. People are always talking about the most entertaining things in life, not the most important.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Offspring-Junkie, why do you think he's more important?
    I wrote a four word letter.

He's the owner and founder of the British International School of Ljubljana, that means he's the owner and founder of a institution, a school is an institution, right? People get educated there, that's a very valuable thing.

Paul Walker is a random actor, he's not nearly as talented as either Robert DeNiro or Marlon Brando who still are actors by profession. This profession is inspiring for many, but not as important as a school.

You can disagree, but still...

Paul Walker apparently did a lot of charity work. I'm not going to join a debate about which dead guy was more important because that feels a little ridiculous to me. But I will repeatedly point out that he did more with his life than just star in enjoyably awful movies.

People generally don't seem to give the rich and famous enough credit for doing charity work. Yeah, even when they give away millions that's generally only a tiny percentage of what they could technically give. But so what? They don't have to give anything at all. Plenty of rich cunts don't. I don't think it magically becomes easier to be a good person just because you're rich and famous. They deserve credit for choosing to donate time and money to good causes instead of just floating around in their enormous swimming pools or whatever.

And again, Paul Walker died whilst leaving a charity event. If he hadn't been such a nice guy he'd probably still be alive.

People certainly obsess far too much over celebrities but there's another crowd who dehumanize celerities far too much. Paul Walker was a famous movie star but he was also a human being. A decent one by all accounts.

always hard to gauge how much is enough on the internet.
    Indeed.

But yes, I probably should have got it. Ah well, can't win 'em all.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Afaik charity work is forced upon actors by US law otherwise they get legal trouble with their taxes. They just choose who they want to help to. If normal people do charity on the other hand, no one takes even notice because the media doesn't show up. I could be wrong though, I don't know where I can look up US tax law for actors, I just heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    Afaik charity work is forced upon actors by US law otherwise they get legal trouble with their taxes. They just choose who they want to help to. If normal people do charity on the other hand, no one takes even notice because the media doesn't show up. I could be wrong though, I don't know where I can look up US tax law for actors, I just heard about it.
    You are saying that actors are required by US law to do charity work? And that this charity work has something to do with their taxes? What the fuck are you talking about? I know exactly where you can look it up.