Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Mandela has passed away.

Sadly they don't have much choice. They'd be condemned if they didn't do it. It's how the game is played.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

For some reason, it irritates me that people are getting on their soapbox and claiming that Mandela ought to be getting much more attention relative to Paul Walker. I generally agree with them, but it seems as though the people who say this are unaware that a bit of guilt isn't going to change the deeply entrenched values system that causes some in society to value a Walker more than a Mandela.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

All the NPR coverage I have heard on Mandela has been amazing, it's really touching just to hear South Africans talk about him. Inspiring man.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    His commitment to non-cooperation was laudable, but Mandela definitely embraced violence as an option. He wasn't exactly averse to the ANC being supplied with weapons from Lybia at the time, and was in the end jailed based on his associations with MK which was based on a campaign of sabotage and insurgency - and didn't rule out guerrilla warfare and terrorism down the line if that didn't work.

I still think Mandela was an incredible and inspirational leader, but he certainly profited from some whitewashing of his past even before passing (ironically his partner in those Lybian arms transfers, Gaddafi, suffered the exact opposite before his death).
    You're entirely right. I had been thinking with regards to his stance on militance, but somehow I simply distorted that in writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

The guy was a communist. Maybe a good commie, maybe a bad commie, still a commie. Say what you want about the guy, good, great or whatever. I'll file this entire Mandella fiasco under the give two shits pile.

Awesome.

10 character limit.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

While the brief-Communist stint obviously has no bearing on what great stuff he did later in life, it is pretty interesting how all of that was glossed over in the documentaries and such after the fact. I was actually unaware he lead the armed wing of the ANC until after he'd died. It doesn't detract from his life one iota, but it's something pretty rarely discussed, the train line sabotages and stuff.

His close friendship with Fidel Castro was similarly ignored.

Mainstream history needs to be tidy, after all.

Yeah. I just didn't know about the personally-organizing militant attacks and stuff. Always thought he was mostly speeches and civil disobedience.