Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong to respectfully dislike a culture?

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Try not to take everything LITERALLY. Try to find the hidden message in there. Go ahead and look, you'll get it eventually...maybe.
    There's nothing intelligent hidden in there. If you are going to use scientific terms in an analogy, at least learn something about the terms you intend to use so you don't look like a fool.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Just noticed this:

Genocidal? I'm not sure which word you meant to write, but I'm pretty sure it's not that. :P An individual can not be genocidal. Maybe murderous?
    Of COURSE that's what I meant to write, otherwise, I wouldn't have written it, silly! An individual can be murderous or genocidal. I was speaking of attitudes, not actions, duh!
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

suicidal, homicidal, genocidal. I'll take it.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    suicidal, homicidal, genocidal. I'll take it.
    So, you're basically me without the limitless free time?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Weirder still is how Chief O'brien hasn't aged a day since episode 1 of TNG. Leaving the red uniform and the cushy bridge jobs were the best things that ever happened to LaForge and O'Brien. I bet they get together at Quark's every so often and high five about it.

This thread is back to trek.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Suicidal and homicidal both have dictionary entries, making them actual words. Genocidal is still not a word :P There are other non-words that show up under main entries for words in online dictionaries. I come across them pretty often.

And honestly, I guess I don't know how to explain via text why I don't think a person can have "genocidal ideologies". "He's suicidal" = he's showing strong signs of wanting to kill himself, and is likely to do so. "He's homicidal" = he's showing strong signs of wanting to kill someone, and is likely to do so. "He's genocidal" = ? Is he showing strong signs of wanting to systemically destroy a racial or cultural group? Is he likely to do so? A person can not commit genocide. I've met neo-Nazis and the like, and while they were moronic dicks who like to shout obscenities and be loud and seem important/scary, I could not say that any of them have displayed strong signs of wanting to do some genociding (yeah, now I'm gonna morph it a bit myself )

Anyway, I doubt that explains any better. I can't explain this kind of shit (my own thought processes on such a level) via text. So go ahead and call people "genocidal"; I certainly won't teach it as a word to my students. And I guess I will mention that neither my professors for courses about genocide(s), nor the dozens of books I've read on the subject, have used "genocidal". I'd imagine that if it were a legitimate word, I would've encountered it here and there, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Anyway, I doubt that explains any better. I can't explain this kind of shit (my own thought processes on such a level) via text.
    That implies there may be some other way you could explain it? I would have thought it would be even harder to explain verbally and almost certainly impossible through body language though I would honestly pay to see you attempt it

Well, we have failed to reach agreement as we so often do, but as always I have enjoyed thinking about the points raised. You've certainly convinced me that the legitimacy of the word is questionable yet I resolutely maintain that it deserves to be a word and can be well applied to thoughts and ideologies.

I think the discussion got a bit out of hand as we simultaneously seemed to be discussing whether genocidal is a word, whether it deserves to be a word, and how it should be used if it is a word. Perhaps that was a bit ambitious. Anyway, it was fun while it lasted.

Moving on.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

Did Hitler not have genocidal ambitions? Bam, Godwin's law, now we can really kill this argument.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Bam, Godwin's law, now we can really kill this argument.
    I just woke up and struggled with this for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    That implies there may be some other way you could explain it? I would have thought it would be even harder to explain verbally and almost certainly impossible through body language though I would honestly pay to see you attempt it
    Hahaha, body language plays no role :P This kind of thing goes better for me in person, where it's give and take - not writing longer posts and then responding to longer posts with more longer posts... asking questions in the moment, a true conversation. In fact, I have always had problems explaining myself well through text for this very reason. I explain better through being asked smaller questions than by writing long explanations. Plus I'm more aural than visual, and I sometimes struggle to understand a full written argument - I'd rather hear the argument than read it, usually (and prefer audio books over paper).

Well, we have failed to reach agreement as we so often do, but as always I have enjoyed thinking about the points raised. You've certainly convinced me that the legitimacy of the word is questionable yet I resolutely maintain that it deserves to be a word and can be well applied to thoughts and ideologies.
    Yes, it got me thinking about it, too. I mean, I was initially giving Melyssa a hard time because I know she really hates me and then you got all serious-analyzing about it, and while I did argue with my true opinions, I took them a bit to the extreme for the sake of the argument. As a teacher, I'm of the belief that words become words through usage, and wouldn't actually have a problem with someone using "genocidal", even though I don't think it's a real word. There is nothing wrong with it as a "word", though. I'd just like to see a concrete definition of it, because one doesn't exist, and I do still fail to personally see how it would be applied. I might bring this conversation up with some of my linguist friends on Friday (I'm such a nerd... I love hanging out with those guys... last time we heavily discussed the specific definition of the word "wall". It went on for at least 20 minutes...) and see what they think about it.

I think the discussion got a bit out of hand as we simultaneously seemed to be discussing whether genocidal is a word, whether it deserves to be a word, and how it should be used if it is a word. Perhaps that was a bit ambitious. Anyway, it was fun while it lasted.

Moving on.
    Yeah, for sure. We had several smaller arguments going on within one large argument. We're ambitious folks

Pilz, I already Godwin'd up the thread posts ago when I brought up how Hitler *wasn't* genocidal :P
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk