Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is it wrong to respectfully dislike a culture?

I think as someone said (maybe llamas) that you can like some stuff and hate other stuff and that should'nt be a problem, as long as you don't put your prejudice on any individual from that culture that you meet.

For example, I love the spanish way of life. These guys nap, eat excellent food, definitely know how to enjoy life. Not to mention of course, the great culture, artistically speaking, and history.

But I absolutely hate that the country is so catholic that their politicians think it's a good idea to restrict abortion rights to women who might die because of their pregnancy or who have been raped.

I won't assume, though, that any spanish I speak to is in favor of that law. And therefore a stupid asshole.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I think as someone said (maybe llamas) that you can like some stuff and hate other stuff and that should'nt be a problem, as long as you don't put your prejudice on any individual from that culture that you meet.

For example, I love the spanish way of life. These guys nap, eat excellent food, definitely know how to enjoy life. Not to mention of course, the great culture, artistically speaking, and history.

But I absolutely hate that the country is so catholic that their politicians think it's a good idea to restrict abortion rights to women who might die because of their pregnancy or who have been raped.

I won't assume, though, that any spanish I speak to is in favor of that law. And therefore a stupid asshole.
    Even been to Mexico? Yeah, it's not that super actually living there. Awsome people for the most part, great culture, but I sure as hell would not live there.

I'd say that the country I have the most readily negative opinions toward is Russia. That is probably the last place in the supposed developed world I'd ever want to live. The country hates gays, adores Christianity to a point where their church and their government are basically the same thing... they drive like insane assholes, and are racist and sexist as fuck.

But would I say that I dislike their culture? No, because they also have a lot of really cool aspects to their culture - like their art, architecture, humor, cuisine, and alcohol. Plus I've never met a Russian I didn't like. I've had three Russians as students, plus I've had several Russian friends. Only one of them kind of matched the stereotype, but we still became friends.

So really, I see no point in writing a culture off as a whole. Even the ones you have the most negative opinions about probably also have a lot of good points that you're unaware of or ignoring. Not wanting to live in a country does not equal disliking the culture, either. Otherwise I'd have to say I dislike American culture, since I don't want to live in the US ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I think someone should point out how all of you are simply picking various definitions of culture in order to justify any said prejudices. Also most of you have shown yourselves more than willing to be gleefully discriminiatory at barely the slightest nudge, lacking any form of self-reflection or any concept of what "confirmation bias" might be.

So I'd say its possible, but far beyond the reflective abilities of most posters in this thread. But your honest prejudice is far more preferable than your false tolerance, so please continue making your your true beliefs obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I've never met a Russian I didn't like.
    Me too! Though I've possibly only met one.

But he was awesome. Even his name was awesome. Stanislav Alexandrovich Moskalenko. What a name.

we heavily discussed the specific definition of the word "wall". It went on for at least 20 minutes.
    That just made my day.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    That just made my day.
    We have the most thrilling of conversations... I love them, but they are often met by other friends with blank stares. I recently learned the origins of the words "dinner" and "supper", and told some friends and students with probably too much enthusiasm... but then I go to these guys, and they're like, "Dude, I just found out a really interesting bit of etymology. Did you know that the town suffix "-wich" actually means it once had salt mines??" "oooooh really??"

There, now the thread topic is entirely changed. :P

the one Russian I have met drunkenly peed on his friend when they were passed out on the same couch. apparently he woke up in the middle of the night and went to change and sleep somewhere else, but didn't wake his friend. good kid, we had to toss that couch.

I visited a family friend in Mexico, when you live in a several story beach house in Rocky Point, Mexico is a pretty nice place to live.

Pilz, I already Godwin'd up the thread posts ago when I brought up how Hitler *wasn't* genocidal :P
    well shit.
    I wrote a four word letter.

The one russian I know doesn't drink excessively but when she does, she kills us all. I'm sure it's genetics.

Also, she's pretty awesome.

She had that facebook status not so long ago that really made me laugh : "Poland is like Russia 2.0 : Better design, better ergonomy, patched bugs. Also they inserted the "democracy" plug-in which is a really good idea."

And she's the niece of Alexei Pajitnov. It can't get any better than that.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

And she's the niece of Alexei Pajitnov. It can't get any better than that.
    I don't know though, what are her boobs like?

Ok, fine, yes you win.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

The one russian I know doesn't drink excessively but when she does, she kills us all. I'm sure it's genetics.
    I've heard there are races that genetically can not digest alcohol very well, and I've also heard that Native Americans have some of the best enzymes for it. I don't know how true it is as I haven't actually researched it, but it seems plausible.

She had that facebook status not so long ago that really made me laugh : "Poland is like Russia 2.0 : Better design, better ergonomy, patched bugs. Also they inserted the "democracy" plug-in which is a really good idea."
    Hahaha, that's fantastic.