Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conservative Analysis: "True conservative" candidates would win more elections

Hybrid View

Default Conservative Analysis: "True conservative" candidates would win more elections

You've probably heard many conservative talking heads and tea partiers insist that if the GOP would run far right conservative candidates, they would energize their base and win elections.

I've always thought of this as bullshit. I'm not sure I believe that the GOP is losing the votes of those on the right because their candidates are too moderate. These people would likely just vote for what they consider to be the lesser of the evils (in this case, the moderate republican). It might affect the turnout of those who lean conservative, but I don't think by much. Furthermore, it's not like the GOP doesn't have election strategists who would jump on any chance they get to win more elections. If this proposed strategy of running more conservative candidates was legit, I think the GOP strategists would embrace it.

Regardless of your political views, do you think this strategy could be successful?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Christie's the only dude that has a hint of a chance, if Hillary's actually running.

And that's fine. He's the only common-sense works-across-party-lines guy (of either party, really), and that's all people are going to give a shit about, jobs and bipartisanship and ending the bullshit. No way Paul or Cruz or whoever else makes it, once they're out of the primary. Republicans should just want to win at this point, run an "anyone but Hillary" campaign, only way they get it. Go with a tea party candidate, have a democrat president. Way it is. They've gotta get into a headspace where they prefer Christie to the alternative.

2 members appreciate this post.

Yup who does the liberals think they are bankrupting the whole entire country. Because we all know that the conservatives are pretty much innocent.
    Last edited by Tiny Vessels; 12-23-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    Yup who does the liberals think they are bankrupting the whole entire country. Because we all know that the conservatives are pretty much innocent.
    True enough. No innocent players in this game. That's my point to some degree. The politicians are burying us and nobody cares. We have to stop pandering to the lowest common denominator. There will always be poor people. Can't stop that. Stop giving the country away with this ridiculous debt that will never possibly be paid back. This debt will start a war someday when we go belly up and are at our weakest. A radical change could occur if this national debt isn't addressed and Obama is doing ZERO about it. I mean we have $18,000,000,000,000 in debt and when was the last time you saw a responsible federal budget laid out to address this? I'll tell you when...never. I have NOT heard one liberal say we have a debt problem.

That little rant of mine I am sure is a shock to most people here...plus I really dislike the liberal point of view. It simply makes no sense to me.
    Last edited by MOTO13; 12-23-2013 at 12:18 PM.

2 members appreciate this post.

MOTO, have you ever applied for a position with Fox News?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Eh, the Fox thing is a little disingenuous, too. Their hard-news stuff is pretty straight down the line (daytime coverage), Wallace and Baier and such. It's just the opinion/pundit shows that bring the bullshit, but that stuff's all over MSNBC too. CNN's the only one that doesn't do it (at least not to that extent), and everyone's stopped watching them the last few years.

People want the side-taking and "rabble rabble rabble!", it seems, on both sides. The way I see it, sure about half of Fox is twisting everything, but it balances out as the other side has MSNBC which does the same thing. Back to square one, level ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    MOTO, have you ever applied for a position with Fox News?
    Yes, I was too moderate for them. They wanted someone more opinionated and less on the fence on issues.

Hey PIB...what stories did FOX invent? I watch it occasionally and never heard of any. Just curious. Mostly lefty, tit sucking, holier than asswads that prance around and pretend to be do gooders that say this stuff. You know, like that crazy fuck Al Gore bitching about this theoretical global warming, making untold millions off it, all the while he walking around in one of his 15,000 sq ft houses, flying around in his private jet making a bigger carbon footprint than most small cities.
    Last edited by MOTO13; 12-24-2013 at 07:35 AM.

MOTO don't lie. You don't watch Fox News occasionally, you watch Fox News everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    MOTO don't lie. You don't watch Fox News occasionally, you watch Fox News everyday!
    Well, ok, maybe. Actually, I only watch it for the babes. Have to admit, FOX News employs some of the hottest women in news.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    These people would likely just vote for what they consider to be the lesser of the evils (in this case, the moderate republican).
    You've basically got it there.

To win you want to be slightly left or slightly right. You'll get the votes of the moderates and some of the extremist vote simply because they have no better option to vote for. The rest of the extremists just won't vote at all or they'll vote for some party that has no hope of ever winning. Point is, you'll maximize your votes and minimize the effect of those who don't vote for you, thereby maximising your odds of success.

It creates the kind of two party system we see in the US where neither party really differs substantially because they both play it as close to the center as possible. This results in huge numbers of people becoming dissatisfied with the system and disillusioned with democracy in general. If you accept the idea that under democracy the people get exactly the kind of government they deserve then you end up disillusioned with the whole damn human race. Or, then again, you could use it to argue how comfortable and therefore good Western life has become since extremism always becomes more popular when people are miserable.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks