Thread: Your own Offspring compilation album

Default Your own Offspring compilation album

Hi guys,

So I just posted a thread that was supposed to be this thread and turned out to be about something entirely else.

It started with me saying I love the way Offspring craft their albums to be entire pieces of art and how I respect that.

BUT

If you could make an 'epic' album of sorts, of the songs that even though Offspring albums are very good to listen to from start to finish in the intended order, which I usually do, we all know there are songs that we want to skip TO. Because they just touch us in a way that the other songs do not, as much as we still like them all (or most of them anyway).

So I was wondering, what would your list for an 'epic' album be, where every song is a song you'd usually want to skip to or repeat. And, in what order would you place them so that they make up an album where the songs fit nicely together as an album?

I was thinking about this and came up with a list of songs I'd wish to include, and I've had difficulty, not in choosing the songs, but in ordering them. The biggest issues I've had is that I don't want to start the album with a song that starts an Offspring album because then I'd be expecting to hear the album in order, and likewise with the ending. Having said that, 'starting' songs and 'ending' songs of Offspring albums really do suit where they are situated on the albums. So I've started with Jennifer Lost The War and ended in Forever & A Day even though I'd prefer not to, just because I don't really know where else I'd place them.

Here is what I've done so far. I'm still not entirely happy with the order, but I thought I'd get your suggestions. Please tell me which songs you would include and what order you'd put them in. Also please note that I haven't included some awesome songs (eg. Dirty Magic) just because the idea of this epic album is that they're all the more fast-paced tracks and that playing the album from start to finish there will be no slower points or changes in mood.

Jennifer Lost The War
    Nitro
    Staring At The Sun
    Da Hui
    Bad Habit
    Half-Truism
    Smash
    Blackball
    DUI
    Come Out & Play
    Meaning Of Life
    All I Want
    The Kids Aren't Alright
    Lightning Rod
    End Of The Line
    No Brakes
    Stuff Is Messed Up (Shit Is Fucked Up)
    Dividing By Zero
    Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell
    Forever & A Day

Bad Habit
    Tehran
    Get It Right
    Pay The Man
    The Noose
    The Meaning Of Life
    Living in Chaos
    Da Hui
    Can't Repeat
    Stuff Is Messed Up
    Self Esteem
    Slim Pickens
    Smash
    Dirty Magic (Acoustic)

Question for you; I'd feel bad putting Slim Pickens without Dividing By Zero before it. If you put Self Esteem before Slim Pickens would you want to add some drums to the end of Self Esteem so that it led into Slim Pickens like Dividing By Zero does on Days Go By? To be honest that's the only reason I put that particular track on my list.

P.S. Very good idea putting Dirty Magic right on the end, I am assuming you did so so that it doesn't interrupt the fast-paced flow of the album whilst still including it. Very smart.

Have You Ever
    Staring at the Sun
    Self Esteem
    Elders
    Kick Him When He's Down
    The Noose
    Takes Me Nowhere
    Beheaded
    Vultures
    All I Want
    Divide By Zero
    Slim Pickens
    Pay the Man

Pretty tough task; I tried to keep the crossfade songs together (Have You Ever/Staring at the Sun and Divide By Zero/Slim Pickens, if I'm not forgetting any). They work excellent at both the beginning and the end, though I stuck Pay the Man at the end due to having more of an epic finale feel to it. The rest are just some picks that I like, and tried to balance them out.

If I had to pick the albums that are easiest to listen to from beginning to end, I'd say it's Americana and Conspiracy of One (the only thing I'd change is switch Vultures with Conspiracy of One). They both have the best balance and variety that hooks you in from the beginning, and takes you all the way to the end.
    Night brings bad dreams
    Bad dreams and guillotines

Quote Originally Posted by Sowhat View Post
    Question for you; I'd feel bad putting Slim Pickens without Dividing By Zero before it. If you put Self Esteem before Slim Pickens would you want to add some drums to the end of Self Esteem so that it led into Slim Pickens like Dividing By Zero does on Days Go By? To be honest that's the only reason I put that particular track on my list.

No. I reviewed how they would sound back to back and I am comfortable with the transition. I dont think divided needs to be on there. if you noticed, they stopped playing divided before slim, and just skip it live now. Slim is the better song and opens with a drum tick tick. Slim is one of the best songs, and thus must be on my compilation.

1. Session
    2. Kick Him When He's Down
    3. All I Want (live)
    4. Dirty Magic
    5. The Kids Aren't Alright (live)
    6. I Wanna Be Sedated (the cover)
    7. I Choose
    8. Pretty Fly
    9. One Fine Day
    10. Half-Truism
    11. Self Esteem (live)
    12. You're Gonna Go Far Kid