Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Records 2013

Default Favorite Records 2013

This is late but whatevs - what did you pricks love to listen to this year?

The Top Ten (no particular order)

Captain, We're Sinking - The Future Is Cancelled
    Dave Hause - Devour
    Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart
    The Flatliners - Dead Language
    Banquets - Self Titled
    Old Man Markley - Down Side Up
    RVIVR - The Beauty Between
    Restorations - LP2
    Off With Their Heads Home
    Iron Chic The Constant One

The Honorable Mentions
    Red City Radio Titles
    A Wilhelm Scream Partycrasher
    Two Cow Garage- The Death fo the Self-Preservation Society
    Bad Religion - True North
    The Computers - Love Triangles Hate Squares
    Alkaline Trio - My Shame Is True
    Elway - Leavetaking
    Heart Sounds - Internal Eyes

Favorite Eps
    The Smith Street Band - Don't Fuck With Our Dreams
    Make Do and Mend / Flatliners - SPlit
    Masked Intruder - Under the Mistletoe
    Menzingers/Bouncing Souls - Shocking Ep
    Against Me! True Trans
    NOFX - Stoke Extinguisher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I'm gonna have to listen to all the albums I have again but my favorite tapes/demos whatever you wanna call them is an easy one.

1.The Spooky Action Tape by Iron Chic
    2. Mob Justice (tape it's technically just their album but meh)
    3. Paws 2013 tour tape.
    4. Rats in the Wall Demo.
    5. Twelve Reasons to Die: The Brown Tape by Ghostface Killah and Apollo Brown

EPs: No Particular Order
    The Door by No Sir, I Won't
    Resurrection of The Wolf by No Warning(its one new song and a 30 second cover but fucking christ after like 9 years? so fucking good!)
    Turnstile Comix #2 by World/Inferno Friendship Society.
    Invisible 7" by Paint it Black

I'll get to the rest of the shit laters haha.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Pretty bleak year for me. Loved the new NIN disc, though, traditional or no.

When was True North? 2013 or 2012? Meh. Best BR disc in forever.

I checked out a lot of new music in 2013. This was kind of an above-and-beyond year in that regard, as I found a lot of new artists I enjoy. I think I'm going to try to do this every year. My favorite artists mostly didn't release anything this year, but I still had a great music year Edit: after doing this, I realized that a LOT of great albums came out this year, including from some of my top bands. Hell yeah, 2013!

New find of the year:

Har Mar Superstar - Bye Bye 17

This guy is just amazing. It's so hard to find music like his these days. The music is just fantastic, and I totally dig his voice. I haven't dug into his old stuff because I've read a lot that this his best album thus far, but I might check out the old ones anyway.

Other artists I found out about this year and whose 2013 records were just fantastic:

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Love Lust Faith Dreams
    God, I've listened to this album so many times this year. This is just exactly my kind of music. Concept album to boot? Fuck yeah.
    Cage the Elephant - Melophobia
    Talk about a lovely album.
    Laura Marling - Once I was an Eagle
    There is just nothing not to love about this woman. So, so much talent. And it excites me more than anything to find a female musician this talented, because talented women rarely get anywhere in the music industry without resorting to using their sexuality.
    Lorde - Pure Heroine
    Walk Off the Earth - REVO LP (the group that got famous for that "5 people on one guitar" cover of "Somebody That I Used to Know" - they're actually a really good band. I really enjoy this album.)
    Kurt Vile - Walkin on a Pretty Daze

New album of the year from an artist I already loved:

Streetlight Manifesto - The Hands that Thieve
    Best ska band that has ever existed. But they ran into huge issues with their label, the album never got properly released, and the band broke up. So in that regard, 2013 sucked. But at least we still got to hear this fantastic album.

Favorite releases from artists I already loved:

Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob
    2Cellos - In2ition
    Serj Tankian - Jazz-iz Christ
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
    Alkaline Trio - My Shame is True
    Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2
    M.I.A. - Matangi
    65daysofstatic - Wild Light

Honorable mentions:
    AFI - Burials
    KT Tunstall - Invisible Empire//Crescent Moon
    Queens of the Stoneage - Like Clockwork
    Dubioza Kolektiv - Apsurdistan
    Miley Cyrus - Bangerz
    Jimmy Eat World - Damage
    Last edited by Llamas; 01-05-2014 at 06:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Here is mine. Sorry, it's rather big. I wanted to talk a little bit about each record.

The Favorites
    A Wilhelm Scream - Partycrashers
    - My favorite record of this year by far. AWS hadn't been heard of from since their 2009 self-titled EP. This record, however, shows they can still melt my face off with the same old fury. Hairy Scarecrow, Last Laugh and Walking with Michael Douglas were instant favorites.
    The Bronx - The Bronx (IV)
    - Just got into this band last year and I love all of their records they've released, including their mariachi side project. This record is pretty good, Bronx III is my favorite, but it's still pretty awesome.
    Tyler the Creator - Wolf
    - I really don't listen to much rap. I decided to listen to this album after seeing Tumblr lose their minds over it and I have to say, I love it. The thing I dont like about most mainstream rap is A) its very materialistic and B) its very repetitive. Tyler, however, is very introspective and sincere with his work.
    Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
    - Queens of the Stone Age are starting to become one of my favorite bands, top ten worthy (inner High Fidelity coming out). They are always just so consistently good. This album is just so groovy, man.
    Future of the Left - How to Stop Your Brain in an Accident
    - Another artist I got into earlier this year. This record is good, very tuneful.
    Alkaline Trio - My Shame Is True
    - When I was making this list, I originally felt like putting it with the good rather the favorites, but when I really thought about it, it should go here. Really enjoyed this record. Probably one of my favorite Alkaline Trio albums. Really fun to listen to.

The Good
    Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
    - Good, but I'm still developing an ear for rap music. Can't really be more critical about it when I really don't know much about the genre
    Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Descension
    - I'm on a huge Coheed trip as of lately. I've just been listening to them nonstop. This album was good, but it's not up there with my other favorite Coheed albums like In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 and No World for Tomorrow. Still, I'm glad this band is around. I've really come to love their music recently.
    Bad Religion - True North
    - Oh, Bad Religion, you will always have a special place in my heart. New record was good, but not the best Bad Religion album. Didn't really stick with me like No Control and New Maps of Hell. It's a nice return to form, showing that Bad Religion can still burn your ears with that old school fervor.

The Meh...
    Arctic Monkeys - AM
    - I was really bored earlier this year and was looking for a new band to get into. I tried the Arctic Monkeys and gave AM a listen. It was meh. To be fair, its mostly because I really don't care for the Arctic Monkey. They are good, but kind of over hyped. I was expecting something greater based on the overwhelming critical acclaim Ive heard. Not saying they are a bad band, but maybe there is a better record to start with when getting into their material.
    Polar Bear Club - Death Chorus
    - Kind of disappointed in this one, but it may be because I'm still riding my "OMG PARTYCRASHERS WAS SO GODDAMN AWESOME" high and was expecting more with this album. It's alright. I just listened to it last week a couples times through will delivering pizzas, so it might be better if I give it a second chance. Still, it's kind of tame compared to their last record.

Also, I did not know of the new releases from Cage the Elephant and The Flatliners. MUST LISTEN TO THEM NOW!

I haven't even scratched the surface of the amount of fucking music i grabbed in 2013. But so far the journey has been strange, fun, different, and pretty awesome.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Ah, jeez. 30 Seconds To Mars? Leto's like the most pretentious fuck ever, it seems. Great actor, admittedly, but every videoclip I've seen of their singles I just cringe. They don't suck or anything, they kind of just sound like every other early-2000s melodic light rock band, but just the whole...attitude or something, it's almost like they're mocking/parodying it all, only they're actually serious.
    Last edited by Eskimo; 01-16-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Hmm, guess I haven't checked out all that much new music. So my list will be pretty short.

The best new album from 2013: Alice in Chains: The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. May take a little longer to get into than Black Gives Way to Blue, but a brilliant album nonetheless.

Honorable mentions (both albums are actually re-releases, I'm mentioning them because they are worth buying, as they sound brilliant, both managed to avoid the loudness wars, in fact In Utero even has better dynamic range than the original release from 1993):
    - Nirvana: In Utero 20th anniversary edition
    - Mad Season: Above deluxe edition.

Disappointments:
    QOTSA: ...Like Clockwork. It's a pretty unpopular opinion I guess, but it's just how I feel about it. I thought Era Vulgaris was terrible and I regret buying it, so I didn't even bother to buy an actual copy of their new album this time. It may be a slight improvement over Era Vulgaris, but from various reactions around the Internet I think it's vastly overrated (although various fanboy/fangirl reactions in the vein of "Josh Homme is a god" or "plz Josh get in my pussy" are annoying me more than the actual band/album; at this point there are people who just praise everythiung that had anything to do with Josh Homme, slamming down everyone who criticizes his music).

Let me explain - the reason I started listening to Queend of the Stone Age in the first place were the first notes of "You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionaire". That raw, heavy, insane, unique sound. Songs for the Deaf is still one of the best driving albums, and it's just ballsy as hell. The guests on that album can actually be heard, and the album felt like an actual interesting colaboration of the group's members. The new album however sounds to me more like a one-man-affair. Why would you hire as many guest artists to perform on the album, only to get completely burried between the rest of the music? Why get Mark Lanegan, if not for his presence, and only let him sing backing vocals?

And no, I don't care about the evolution of the band. Sure, most bands do evolve and in many cases I really enjoy their progress (namely Soundgarden), but in most cases of evolution you can still say it's the same band as before. Not so much in this case. Queens have lost their identity, they are now completely different than they were on the first three albums. There is hardly a faint whiff of what they used to be. Where's the power, where's the energy, where's the heaviness of their former days? It was the reason why I began listening to them in the first place, and now it's been completely replaced by something entirely else. Bands can evolve and still keep their sound - Soundgarden's change from their beginnings to now is huge, and yet they still sound like Soundgarden, while QOTSA don't sound like QOTSA anymore.

Sorry to be a downer, It is my personal opinion. I understand you like the album a lot, for me it just doesn't work. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it
    Last edited by Rooster; 01-16-2014 at 02:41 AM.

Airbourne - Black Dog Barking
    Do you think youd sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Ah, jeez. 30 Seconds To Mars? Leto's like the most pretentious fuck ever, it seems. Great actor, admittedly, but every videoclip I've seen of their singles I just cringe. They don't suck or anything, they kind of just sound like every other early-2000s melodic light rock band, but just the whole...attitude or something, it's almost like their mocking/parodying it all, only they're actually serious.
    Zero idea about Leto or their music videos; I've only listened to their music and it's damn good. Love Lust Faith + Dreams is a well-done concept album, full of highly developed songs and an interesting theme.

I've heard that Leto is a jerk before, but I tend to try not to get to know much about a musician I like unless I'm interested in going to see them live - otherwise, character often kills a band for me. So I really don't know anything about the dude beyond "some people seem to think he's a jerk." And I'm good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Disappointments:
    QOTSA: ...Like Clockwork. It's a pretty unpopular opinion I guess, but it's just how I feel about it. I thought Era Vulgaris was terrible and I regret buying it, so I didn't even bother to buy an actual copy of their new album this time. It may be a slight improvement over Era Vulgaris, but from various reactions around the Internet I think it's vastly overrated (although various fanboy/fangirl reactions in the vein of "Josh Homme is a god" or "plz Josh get in my pussy" are annoying me more than the actual band/album; at this point there are people who just praise everythiung that had anything to do with Josh Homme, slamming down everyone who criticizes his music).

Let me explain - the reason I started listening to Queend of the Stone Age in the first place were the first notes of "You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionaire". That raw, heavy, insane, unique sound. Songs for the Deaf is still one of the best driving albums, and it's just ballsy as hell. The guests on that album can actually be heard, and the album felt like an actual interesting colaboration of the group's members. The new album however sounds to me more like a one-man-affair. Why would you hire as many guest artists to perform on the album, only to get completely burried between the rest of the music? Why get Mark Lanegan, if not for his presence, and only let him sing backing vocals?

And no, I don't care about the evolution of the band. Sure, most bands do evolve and in many cases I really enjoy their progress (namely Soundgarden), but in most cases of evolution you can still say it's the same band as before. Not so much in this case. Queens have lost their identity, they are now completely different than they were on the first three albums. There is hardly a faint whiff of what they used to be. Where's the power, where's the energy, where's the heaviness of their former days? It was the reason why I began listening to them in the first place, and now it's been completely replaced by something entirely else. Bands can evolve and still keep their sound - Soundgarden's change from their beginnings to now is huge, and yet they still sound like Soundgarden, while QOTSA don't sound like QOTSA anymore.

Sorry to be a downer, It is my personal opinion. I understand you like the album a lot, for me it just doesn't work. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it
    ...Like Clockwork is the first QOTSA album I've bothered checking out, so I can't compare it to any of their other albums. I just know that this album got a good amount of play. It didn't crack my top list, but it was worthy of an honorable mention. Maybe it's easier to dislike them when comparing to their discography, but if you consider their work as a whole, they still deserve to be somewhere decent in the list of good releases this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk