Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Records 2013

Airbourne are pretty cool, in that consciously-ripping-off-ACDC kinda awesome way.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    ...Like Clockwork is the first QOTSA album I've bothered checking out, so I can't compare it to any of their other albums. I just know that this album got a good amount of play. It didn't crack my top list, but it was worthy of an honorable mention. Maybe it's easier to dislike them when comparing to their discography, but if you consider their work as a whole, they still deserve to be somewhere decent in the list of good releases this year.
    Fair point, and I agree, there are worse albums from the past year. In my case it's a simple problem: they're not my cup of tea anymore, sadly, they've changed their sound too much. They are free to do so, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. That's probably my biggest beef with it - there are fans, who would call you close-minded if you don't like every single thing Josh puts out, and are acting as if every new album they release is better than the last one, just because it's "new" and "shows progress" and so on. They act like it's the best thing ever recorded, and most of the time it looks they are praising it so much JUST because it's QOTSA/Josh. That's probably what bothers me more than the actual album.

Another thing that probably contributed a lot to my disappointment - before the release of the album, you could read everywhere that the lineup from Songs for the Deaf had reunited on this new album (only for a couple of songs though). So my previously low expectations rose considerably. I didn't expect SFTD part 2, just a heavier album. I guess I'm at fault for this.

I've probably been like this in the past as well, but I'm not going to be overly defensive about any album anymore; people are allowed to have their own opinion, as long as they express it respectfully.

They were never really that heavy of a band. Songs For the Deaf is definitely their heaviest album. Rated R only really had like 1 legit heavy song on it, the rest were pretty spacey/groove oriented.

About 25 albums/eps deep into all the music I grabbed in 2013. So far my favorites have been.

Abandon All Life by Nails(ten songs in like 16 minutes soo fucking good)
    Vol. 3 by She and Him
    Heartthrob by Tegan and Sara
    Ex-Breathers EP by Bullet Treatment
    fuck fuck shit fuck

I don't know, I still consider both self-titled and Rated R to be pretty heavy, although not to the same degree as Songs for the Deaf. Rated R also has one of my favorite songs by them, Autopilot. Which is coincidentally a calm, trippy song. So they DO know how to make good laid-back songs. But something is just missing in their new album. It's ok, but nothing spectacular.

Ok so I just started the album(after not hearing it for like a couple of months), and the first song is pretty fuckin heavy. That bass is fucking angry.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

True, the first track rules, great atmosphere and overall tone. It's just too little of that on the new album for me

My God Is the Sun should be right up my alley as well, but for some reason I can't get into that song. I Appear Missing is fantastic though, a great song overall.

It's not my favorite by them by any means(mine is Songs For The Deaf), but it wasn't a bad album either.

After much thought(not all the way done yet either), My favorites for this year will now include "Doris" by Earl Sweatshirt, and Victim of Love by Charles Bradley.

With a couple of honorable mentions being "12 Reasons to Die" by Shostface Killah, and "IV" by The Bronx. Still got a ways to go in al the shit I bought this year. Last year was fucking great. This year is starting off pretty awesome as well.
    fuck fuck shit fuck