Thread: NFL playoffs

Default NFL playoffs

We've always had an NFL thread here. At least until it got even deader than it used to be.

So let's talk about it. Woo go Panthers!! I'm happy for them. That defense is just all kinds of badass. Kuechly gets all the credit but I also love Greg Hardy.

Anyone catch that Colts/Chiefs game? I actually thought it was damn near unbearable. What a total collapse by KC, and losing Charles isn't an excuse for all of their defensive incompetence. I almost think they'd do better if they just played Cover 1 with Eric Berry as their only safety and forgot they had any others. Because their other safeties are horrible.

So, I actually really don't like Andrew Luck. That seems like a weird thing to say, but I'm tired of him forgetting to play in the first half of damn near every game only to have people gush over how poised and clutch and professional he is when he pulls it together in the second. Playing well for only half a game is a weakness, and there isn't any other way to spin it. And the way that Chiefs team fell apart, the comeback wasn't even that impressive by itself. I'm not impressed by his inconsistent accuracy or his Stanford-ness or his stupid facial hair.

At this point my predictions are pretty much chalk. Not surprised Cincy laid an egg. SD is looking really good lately, but not good enough to beat the Broncos at mile high a second time. I say Broncos over Seahawks in the Super Bowl. At the very least, I hope they beat the Pats.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

I'm still amazed we got so far this year - and I learned just how optimistic Wisconsinites are about the Packers, no matter what. When Rodgers got hurt, we all saw just how bad our team is. It was painstakingly clear that Rodgers is the team, more or less. Flynn's not a bad backup, but we still couldn't do much. And yet despite how awful we looked without Rodgers, and how we (barely) beat Chicago because they basically handed it to us, Packer fans still thought we were gonna get somewhere and were debating the details of whether or not Rodgers should have come back for the Chicago game, etc. It was pretty amusing The team seriously needs a ton of work, and I hope it won't get ignored just because Rodgers is back. I'm just happy that we were responsible for ending the Bears' season

The Packer game was the only one of the wild card games that didn't go how I wanted it to. I'm glad the Colts, Chargers, and Saints advanced... but I don't see any of them as being good enough to take it all. Out of the four who advanced, I think the Chargers stand the best chance of advancing. They won their last four games of the season, plus getting past the Bengals in the first round... it seems like they are peaking. Especially considering the teams they beat in those last five games include the Broncos (at Mile High) and the Chiefs - plus they haven't lost a game by more than one possession since Oakland in week 5. And the team they're up against, they just beat a few weeks ago. I don't think they have the hugest chances, but I think they are very capable.

However, the Broncos are my second favorite team (especially with Manning!), and I really want them to make it to the super bowl... so I kinda don't want the Chargers to beat them, even though I like underdogs. I'd love it to be a Broncos-Panthers super bowl. My second favorite team led by Manning against one hell of an impressive team that came from being absolute shit not too long ago, and with a sophomore QB. Part of why I'd like to see Cam succeed is because he seems to have a decent head on his shoulders as far as young QBs go, and it's been a long time since a black quarterback (who wasn't a disgrace to humanity - Vick) was successful - I'd love to see him do well and help erase some of the racism that's still so prevalent in the NFL fanbase.

But my actual bet on who it's going to be? I really think the AFC will either be the Chargers or Broncos, and the NFC will be the Seahawks. I definitely think the NFC will win the super bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Sooooo, the watching of Friday Night Lights had some weird consequences in our life (like it's a couple thing, you know...):
    1) We started to understand the rules of American football
    2) We started to genuinely like the game
    3) We even started to play flag football (and not real football, because we are 30, out of shape and well... I'm a girl and there's no team).
    4) We are downloading NFL games and now, we each have our favorite team, chosen for completely irrationnal reasons.

Mine are the Denver Broncos. I like orange and more important, I really like Manning's routine. And Moreno and Holliday. And Peyton Manning looks like a cool dude.
    Alex's are the Patriots. The reason is Tom Brady is married to Gisele Bundchen. So he must be a really cool guy. I think he might identify with Brady and fantasizing about the fact he's married to Gisele. I don't mind. Afterall, I am the one who gets to watch strong men in skinny pants for 3 hours so that's only fair.

I also like the Ravens because of their head coach that I think is awesome. Always yelling and looking so angry. The guy is Coach Taylor, for real.

Also, funny thing. We are currently watching a 49ers game and I said to Alex that their head coach really looked like the Ravens coach and I said jokingly that he must be his brother or something. Turns out he is !

So anyway we didn't chose because of the results of the team but it turns out we chose pretty good teams...

But we're a little bit frustrated because we don't understand the NFL competition and the Superbowl. So we get that there's like a break after december and that maybe there are different leagues but we basically don't get it at all...

Anyone wants to explain ?

After that, I'll participate in that thread. With a 2 days delay...

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    But we're a little bit frustrated because we don't understand the NFL competition and the Superbowl. So we get that there's like a break after december and that maybe there are different leagues but we basically don't get it at all...
    The NFL season is 17 weeks long. Every team has 16 games, plus one bye week when they get to rest.

The NFL has two conferences: the AFC (American Football Conference) and the NFC (National Football Conference). Each conference has 16 teams, split into 4 divisions (North, South, East, West - these are slightly arbitrary and don't necessarily tell you which part of the country a team is from geographically http://static1.businessinsider.com/i...-teams-map.jpg).

The playoffs start the week after the last season game, and 12 teams (of the 32) make it. 8 of these teams are the teams with the best record from each of the 8 divisions, and the other 4 are the two best records remaining from each conference (wild cards).

So this year looked like this:

AFC East WIN LOSS TIE Playoffs
    New England Patriots 12 4 div winner
    New York Jets 8 8
    Miami Dolphins 8 8
    Buffalo Bills 6 10
    AFC North
    Cincinnati Bengals 11 5 div winner
    Pittsburgh Steelers 8 8
    Baltimore Ravens 8 8
    Cleveland Browns 4 12
    AFC South
    Indianapolis Colts 11 5 div winner
    Tennessee Titans 7 9
    Houston Texans 4 12
    Jacksonville Jaguars 2 14
    AFC West
    Denver Broncos 13 3 div winner
    Kansas City Chiefs 11 5 wild card
    San Diego Chargers 9 7 wild card
    Oakland Raiders 4 12
    NFC East
    Philadelphia Eagles 10 6 div winner
    Dallas Cowboys 8 8
    New York Giants 7 9
    Washington Redskins 3 13
    NFC North
    Green Bay Packers 8 7 1 div winner
    Chicago Bears 8 8
    Detroit Lions 7 9
    Minnesota Vikings 5 10 1
    AFC South
    Carolina Panthers 12 4 div winner
    New Orleans Saints 11 5 wild card
    Atlanta Falcons 4 12
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 12
    NFC West
    Seattle Seahawks 13 3 div winner
    San Francisco 49ers 12 4 wild card
    Arizona Cardinals 10 6
    St. Louis Rams 7 9

The two best teams in each conference get to skip the first week of playoffs (which were last weekend), so this time the Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks, and Panthers didn't play last weekend and automatically are in the next round.

The first round is called the Wild Card Round, and the Wild Card teams play the weaker Division Winners. So last weekend, the games were (winners in bold):

Colts vs. Chiefs (AFC)
    Chargers vs. Bengals (AFC)

Saints vs. Eagles (NFC)
    49ers vs. Packers (NFC)

So this weekend, the winners of those games play those four top teams that got to rest last weekend, and this is called the Divisional Round (basically the quarter-finals). So this weekend's games are:

Colts vs. Broncos (AFC)
    Chargers vs. Patriots (AFC)

Saints vs. Seahawks (NFC)
    49ers vs. Panthers (NFC)

The four winners of these games will go on to the Conference Championship, which will be next weekend - the two NFC winners will play each other, and the two AFC winners will play each other (these are basically the semi-finals). The winners of those two games go to the Super Bowl, which is a competition between the supposed best NFC team and the best AFC team. The teams get to rest for one week before the Super Bowl, so the Super Bowl is at the beginning of February.

I hope that helps - let me know if you have more questions
    Last edited by Llamas; 01-10-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Damn Bri, that's some diligent shit there . The geography of the NFL actually makes more sense than it used to (like when the Panthers were in the West) and more sense than some other sports, except for the Cowboys who are just in the East to preserve their historical rivalries. If you take Dallas off that map then the polygons look significantly less fucked-up.

Harley, that's awesome! If you want to watch games you should check out NFL Rewind. It's a pretty cheap one-time payment to stream any game from the NFL from any of the past 5 or so seasons.

I really like this Broncos team too, though their defense can be frustrating at times. I'm glad you like Moreno- I'm a huge Knowshon fan and sometimes he doesn't seem to have too many fans. He started out his career as a bit of a disappointment, but I guess he was just a late bloomer. I can't believe he was supposed to be benched for rookie fumble factory Montee Ball this season- the thing is, Knowshon actually played really well LAST season too and still got the short end of the stick until he finally proved everyone wrong about him. He passes the eye test as a running back and is one of the best pass protecting running backs in the league.

Ha, last year the Harbaugh brothers both being in the Super Bowl was a huge deal in the US media.

Tell Alex he's evil for liking the Patriots (actually I just have an aversion to all Boston sports teams; I'd probably like them if I didn't).

Bri, I hear ya about Cam and agree. I hope it's him and not Russell Wilson. I'm constantly bombarded on my News Feed by all of these locals who are huge Wilson fans from his NC State days, so I associate him with annoyance.

The only teams that I give virtually no chance of winning the Super Bowl are the Colts and the Saints. And kinda the Chargers- wouldn't be surprised if they upset the Broncos, but I'd be a little surprised if they have any gas in the tank after that.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Llamas> Thank you for your explanation ! I understand everything now except the logic

We were away last week so now, we're downloading new games

Respect my authoritah !

We just watched the Broncos/patriots game and now, I'm dancing around the appartment and Alex feels depressed and wonders who he should support now.

So, if I got it right, the Broncos are now going to the Superbowl.

We haven't downloaded the NFC game but we read that it's gonna be against the seahawks, so now, we're waiting for the Superbowl.

The problem is, since we can't watch the game live, I'm going to have to avoid any newspaper untill we download it :-/

Respect my authoritah !

Is the only reason you can't watch the game live because you can't stay up that late? Because you can definitely watch it online if you want. We have a super bowl party every year in a bar - we're able to book an entire bar because they're otherwise empty on a Sunday night at midnight. It's win-win. We get the entire bar to ourselves and can bring in a ton of food (plus we get our own personal bartenders), and they get a ton of really good, well-mannered business on a Sunday night. Oh, and we get to watch the game on a couple huge TVs. I'm excited for this Super Bowl. If the Pack can't be in, I'm thrilled to have the Broncos at least. And I'm pretty neutral about Seattle, so it's a cool match-up. Plus I really want Manning to get another ring. I honestly think he's the best modern quarterback, and he's constantly chided and mocked because he "always loses in the playoffs" (except for that time he won a super bowl, the two others he made it to, and the nine total playoff games he's won, not even counting this year's). I hope that him getting a second ring will cause people to back off a bit. I guess there's no other reason to hate him, though. He's just such a nice, dorky dad-type guy. One who even has a quality sense of humor. And he's a fantastic leader and quarterback. So people have to find a reason to insult him.