Thread: History websites

Default History websites

Would any of you have any idea of any good history website?
    I like to read some nice stories during my working hours. Passes the time wonderfully. I can't very well open up youtube documentaries, though, it'd have to be in written form.

So far I use the BBC. Are there others? I mean nice websites, nothing too complicated, with plenty of pictures, paintings and illustrations. Anecdotes, too.
    Blogs are very welcome. I've just read a royalist account of the last days of Robespierre. They've just reconstituted his head, you see.

For the curious, here you are:

Thanks.
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 01-10-2014 at 12:23 PM.

I find cracked.com to be the ultimate in workplace reading material. Many of their articles are historical in nature.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Looks a tadge too yankee for me... "Shocking Newsflash!" and all that sort of things.

Hmm, well, consider giving it a go. If nothing else it's an excellent starting point. Many of their articles are to do with massive public misconceptions about major historical events. From there you can simply use google to find further material on sites you find more to your liking.

That site is the reason I know, for example, that North America had a thriving indigenous civilization with a huge population that was somehow decimated not too long before European settlers started showing up. The general idea that most people have is that North America was sparsely populated by savages before the white man came. And that's fairly accurate, but only because the people they encountered were merely the survivors of some cataclysmic event that had destroyed 90% of their society. If it weren't for sheer bad luck (likely a terrible virus) the Europeans would not have found an empty continent ripe for settling with only minimal resistance. And they didn't easily conquer the indigenous people due to any innate superiority of civilized man over savage. They just showed up at the worst possible time from the perspective of the natives. I find this endlessly fascinating and I would never have been set on this path without what is ostensibly an American comedy website but is in reality a brilliant hub for fascinating tidbits.

I apologize for any errors in this post. I'm going purely from memory. You get the idea though.

Also, although much of the content is focussed on the US, it does not take the usual bullshit patriotic approach you may be fearing. A great many of their articles are intended to debunk common patriotic myths that simply aren't true. It really is a gem.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

The content may be unimpeachable, it's just their stylistic approach which I found a bit tacky yesterday. Add to that the fact that I'm untechy as can be and the only historical article I could find were some gruesome pictures of a XIX C man blowing up tobacco smoke up somebody's rectum in a futile attempt to save them from drowning.

Interesting as an appetizer, but somewhat lacking in substance...

I had no idea re Red Indians. My knowledge of Native Americans is limited to happy viewings of The Last of the Mohicans and that guy... I think he's called Buffalo Bill, and he likes buffalos, and I think at one point he gets involved with Indians...

I guess I'll give it a shot at work. Hell, it's not as though I had much to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    it's just their stylistic approach which I found a bit tacky yesterday. Add to that the fact that I'm untechy as can be and the only historical article I could find were some gruesome pictures of a XIX C man blowing up tobacco smoke up somebody's rectum in a futile attempt to save them from drowning.
    Yeah, I absolutely can see why you might get a terrible first impression. In that case, allow me to help you get started. This is one of the articles that mentions the native american history I was talking about before. Just give it a read if you have the time to waste, as you said you've got nothing to lose.

This might interest you too based on your interest in secret societies.