Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need recommendations for "new" music

My band, Perception Check, is all you need.

Also, the BBS Mixtape.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I once spent an hour with them hiding from a tornado at a Kansas service station.

That is all.
    Fewer than twenty words is all it took for you to tell the greatest story imaginable.

Talking

I once spent an hour with them hiding from a tornado at a Kansas service station.

That is all.
    So few words containing so much awesome. This is a story I can only hope to rival one day. Are they as chill as they seem? Accounting, of course, for any added antsyness caused by hiding from a fucking tornado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    Are they as chill as they seem?
    Well, I hadn't actually heard of them at the time and didn't really interact with them but I was sat right next to them and indeed they seemed like a pretty cool bunch.

When I got home I looked them up and smiled thinking of the superfans who would probably kill to have been in my position. Like the way I felt about the Offspring back in the day
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Well, I hadn't actually heard of them at the time and didn't really interact with them but I was sat right next to them and indeed they seemed like a pretty cool bunch.

When I got home I looked them up and smiled thinking of the superfans who would probably kill to have been in my position. Like the way I felt about the Offspring back in the day
    I'd like to think I'd still be a little excited to meet the Offspring. But as I get older, I find that meeting famous people really isn't a big deal. Maybe I just haven't met anyone famous enough. I think the most famous person I've ever spoken to was Doug Stanhope when he came to perform last year, and that experience was surprisingly normal. If I have any heroes, that guy is definitely one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I think the most famous person I've ever spoken to was Doug Stanhope when he came to perform last year, and that experience was surprisingly normal. If I have any heroes, that guy is definitely one of them.
    Fuck yes.

I met him a few years back after a show and he's fucking awesome. He wanted a bunch of us to go drinking with him and I declined because I thought he was joking or just being polite or some shit I don't know. Only later did I find out he does that regularly with fans and really enjoys it.

Did you get a picture with him? I have one somewhere. I have sadly misplaced it at the present, same as the CDs I bought from him personally. Oh well. Memories are what counts.

And yeah, if I have heroes, he is up there.

I've met a few famous people from working in nice hotels. Or rather, the nicest hotels in big towns that don't have anything better. Politicians, wrestlers, musicians, actors...I don't get particularly excited about it but it is pretty cool. Daughtry once stayed where I was working for like a full week and spontaneously played acoustic in our lounge area. Not my music, certainly, but still a great experience. Really nice guys too. I saw Willie Nelson. I spoke to Mr. Belding from Saved By the Bell on the phone and helped him with a problem he was having. I missed meeting (Fonzie) Henry Winkler because I worked the graveyard shift and all my colleagues got to hang with him. That was annoying.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

No, I didn't take a picture with him. I know he wouldn't have minded, he seems pretty sincere in being appreciative to fans and also seems to enjoy running the merch table and meeting people. I still didn't want to take up all of his time being a half-drunk fanboy, so I just shook his hand and had him, his sort-of wife Bingo, and the guy he was touring with (Junior Stopka, very hilarious) sign a tour poster I bought. It was a great night. I found out a couple of days ago he's playing here again next month. I'm not missing it for anything except death.

I've noticed that the older you get, it seems like it's more frowned upon for a grown man to still look up to someone and emulate a person they respect. I don't know if it's just a societal pressure kind of thing, in which it's seen as "weak" to see someone else that way, or if we subconsciously just want to see everyone else as our peers as we age. Either way, that guy's on a whole other level from me (and probably most other people).

He's me but better. More so than anyone else I've ever met or heard of. Doug on his worst day is me on my best. When I first saw No Refunds I was forced to assume I had been reincarnated into a better brain and time travelled back into the past to record a comedy special with the explicit intent of making my untalented past self feel inferior. To be fair that's totally something I would do. And totally something Doug would do. What more proof do you need? Presumably future-me, who for the sake of simplicity we might as well continue to call "Doug", then got black-out drunk and forgot the entire thing so ended up just half-heartedly pursuing a comedy "career".

You raise an interesting point about the emulation thing. I guess maybe it is seen as some form of weakness? I don't know. Like most Stanhope fans (I assume), I'm not too concerned about fitting societal norms myself. They sure are amusing to contemplate though.

Doug is one of the few reasons I miss using Facebook. I don't know if you follow him on any of that social media nonsense but he used to be amazing. Like, he'd get his fans to help him pull pranks and shit. One time he was at an event with a jumbotron device thing, you know these big screens they have at stadiums? Well, they were doing this thing where you could text a number and your message automatically popped up on the giant screen. So he posted the number on Facebook/Twitter and told his legion of demented followers to unleash. It was wonderful.

When you saw him did he talk about how he assisted his mother's suicide? The man really is amazing. To be able to get up on stage and tell that story. Wow. I really admired that. His performances are always beyond simple comedy but that was something else.

As a matter of fact, he did talk about his mother's suicide - something that had been coming on for some time, if you remember any of his earlier material. Basically everything that's on his new "Beer Hall Putsch" record is what he spoke of, with minor differences, of course. I don't really follow him on Facebook, but dougstanhope.com is one of the sites I make sure to visit every day for updates. The podcast really gets my rocks off. There's a sort-of ongoing thing he's been doing with comedian Andy Andrist for a little while where they tracked down and confronted Andrist's childhood molester and now there's a big pending lawsuit. Interesting stuff. It's on two or three different podcasts.