Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBS Mixtape Vol VIII

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    I did go a little overboard with the sampling haha, if you listen during the horn/guitar solos section there's a full movie seen from Young Guns in there !
    Hold on, so you were inspired by a soundtrack that I love (Kill Bill), sampled one of my favourite games ever (Red Dead Redemption) and now I find you also sampled one of my favourite movies ever (Young Guns)? Holy shit you have impeccable taste.

Oh, and Red Dead reminded me, get over to the video game thread at some point and tell me what you think of GTA V and Assassin's Creed IV. I'm hoping Black Flag might inspire you to do something with shanties.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Hold on, so you were inspired by a soundtrack that I love (Kill Bill), sampled one of my favourite games ever (Red Dead Redemption) and now I find you also sampled one of my favourite movies ever (Young Guns)? Holy shit you have impeccable taste.

Oh, and Red Dead reminded me, get over to the video game thread at some point and tell me what you think of GTA V and Assassin's Creed IV. I'm hoping Black Flag might inspire you to do something with shanties.
    Reap the whirlwind. How fucking great is Young Guns?

I keep hearing amazing things about those sea shanties, I'm deliberately avoiding listening to them online so it has more of an impact in the game when I eventually play it.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

I already managed to make a recording of Discomfort Inn I'm fairly happy with - this microphone is amazing! Hopefully will get a proper recording of Who You're Not this weekend! http://briannaj.bandcamp.com/track/discomfort-inn

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    FINALLY

Yeah, you'll definitely notice a lot of new things when it comes to the way you play and sing, but now you carry the responsibility of proper set up and mixing to go along with that microphone! I recommend buying a pop filter.

Also, be sure to set up your mic correctly when recording your acoustic. It should be placed (at least when I record) a few inches away from roughly the 12th fret of your guitar, pointed towards the sound hole of the guitar. Placement of the mic can affect the sound of the guitar greatly, so just play around with it.
    I'm definitely thinking of getting a pop filter! And thank you for the advice about mic placement - I'm noticing it really does make a huge difference exactly where you put it...

Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    Yay! Good stuff Bri! Very much agree with Homer, get yourself a good pop-shield (or just make something similar, I used a glove for ages) and I tend to have my mic around the 15th fret pointed at the sound hole, and also record the line in and mix the two tracks, get's a great sound!
    For that last part, I'd imagine you need an electric hookup on the guitar... or did I misunderstand you?

RE: Mexicans ; Once again, just damn, thanks a lot Brianna . I did go a little overboard with the sampling haha, if you listen during the horn/guitar solos section there's a full movie seen from Young Guns in there !
    I admit that my lack of knowledge regarding what the samples are from is probably a contributing factor to my opinion on it - I'm sure if I was familiar, I'd be excited But for real, this song keeps getting stuck in my head...! I don't think that's ever happened with a mixtape song!

RE: Blues ; Dayum. Thanks! Yeah, as you know I honestly only sing because I want people to hear my music, and there's only so much instrumental music you can write and/or listen to, so I've decided to at least have a good crack at it. I think I've definitely improved, but I have, and always will be a guitar player! I get weird conflicting feelings now though that if I ever joined a band it'd be totally weird for someone else to sing my lyrics! Thanks again guys!
    But it totally works If you joined a band with a lead singer, maybe you could still do harmonies, and the occasional melodies, as many bands do - share the vocals
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Thanks everyone for the praise and criticism! I'll try to keep the good elements and improve/experiment with the weaknesses for the next recordings. And for those who haven't yet posted a review: Keep em coming!
    For those who haven't listened to the mixtape yet: Listen to it, it's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Seriously, every time I hear a Ricetigers song I instantly just want to pick up my guitar and cover the shit outta it.
    ...which you are welcome to do, because every time you covered one of my songs I thought it turned out better than the original! Thanks though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    ...totally just did this today:

Holy shit, my singing voice is way better than I ever thought. I'd never heard myself sing with any remotely good recording device... but at the same time, the weakness of my guitar-playing really shows with this thing because it's so sensitive and picks up every little detail.

I'm so excited today. I can't wait for the weekend when I can just really go to town with this thing! I'd been thinking about buying a mic for some time, but you guys gave me just the push I needed to go do it, so thanks!!
    I used to record with that microphone and I was really satisfied with it. The sound quality of the new Discomfort Inn cover has improved dramatically!
    Last edited by ad8; 01-30-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

I was wondering why my song wasn't on this but then I realised I sent my submission to ad8, not homer......
    Silly me, regardless though it's a great mixtape!
    Quote Originally Posted by lousyskater View Post
    the offspring pretty much copied the vandals song too much drama.

http://killamedic.bandcamp.com/releases
    A new era of punk rock, and a hotplate!
    But seriously, check out this band, if you're on the BSS, you'll love em!

I already managed to make a recording of Discomfort Inn I'm fairly happy with - this microphone is amazing! Hopefully will get a proper recording of Who You're Not this weekend!
    The improvement is amazing. This was already my favourite track on the mixtape and this new recording is so much better. I can't wait for Who You're Not.

However, what the fuck is the knocking sound that starts at about the 36 second mark? It's soooo distracting.

I have to say I rarely care for female vocalists. Just a personal preference thing. This puts you in a very select group because I really like your voice.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    The improvement is amazing. This was already my favourite track on the mixtape and this new recording is so much better. I can't wait for Who You're Not.However, what the fuck is the knocking sound that starts at about the 36 second mark? It's soooo distracting.I have to say I rarely care for female vocalists. Just a personal preference thing. This puts you in a very select group because I really like your voice.
    Wow, I don't know what to say... I'd be a bit prouder if it wasn't a cover, but I've never had anyone's favorite song on one of the mixtapes, so this is a big thing for me Thanks!!

The "knocking" is part of my attempt at percussion. I don't have any drums, and I wanted the song to have some sort of percussion. There are two sounds - that one, and the one that starts in the next verse. Both sounds were created by tapping on the guitar itself. The first sound is a bit loud, though, so I might turn it down a bit.

I'm working on Who You're Not, but I relapsed with the flu and everything I do right now sounds really, really bad... sucks when you stay home to recover, and you're so bored and just wanna record music, but everything you sing sounds like shit hahaha...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I was wondering why my song wasn't on this but then I realised I sent my submission to ad8, not homer......
    Silly me, regardless though it's a great mixtape!
    Sorry about that! It would have been great to have you on board as well, but I never check my bbs messages these days...
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

The "knocking" is part of my attempt at percussion. I don't have any drums, and I wanted the song to have some sort of percussion. There are two sounds - that one, and the one that starts in the next verse. Both sounds were created by tapping on the guitar itself. The first sound is a bit loud, though, so I might turn it down a bit.
    Yeah, after posting I realized what the sound was and that it's far less noticeable if you play the track at low volume. Since I was blaring it out I found it really distracting. I think the attempt at percussion will sound great if you do turn it down a bit though.

Hope you feel better soon and can get back to recording more!

Also, Bri and Homer, my flatmate heard me playing your stuff and had no idea I was not listening to professionally made music.

All one to me - Fight Pain With Fire - This is a really fun song. A ton of energy, really buying fully into modern punk sensibilities. It sounds like the kind of song I would love to see live and it sounds like a ton of fun to play. The recording and mixing is pretty good on this, as well, and the guitars sound good. Quite impressive.

Ricetigers - Substance P - It always takes me a second to get into the Ricetigers zone. I think maybe it's the voice - I have to say, though, you're building songs around it way better than you have at times in the past. It's works quite well now and really creates a particular vibe that makes the voice at the service of the song instead of the other way around. Much like the first song on the mixtape, I'd like to hear this live.

Vickers' Theme - not possible to hear this one live. It's actually the villain's theme from the current issue of the webcomic I write. I enjoy building a sort of sonic soundscape for a visual medium. Glad people liked it - and to answer Homer's questions, I used to play a ton of video games. Not so many any more, but there's definitely a huge influence from video game and film composers in what I've been doing recently. The only thing I was uncertain about the track is the pumping when the big bass comes in - it's deliberate but I've thought of maybe tweaking and removing it.

Naturally Brewed - Last of the Mexicans - Huh, I really enjoyed this. It's excellently mixed and recorded, and there's a ton of melodic merit to it. It's a really enjoyable tune, and the way it's mixed has a bit of ASMR about it. Just that nice feeling when guitars sound like that. Is this Mr Coney Island Train Brigade? I see that it is - I knew it. For the brass at the end, was it sampled from something, done in a DAW or actually recorded? I find brass to be incredibly frustrating to get right. I am jealous.

Brianna - Who You're Not - What were you using at this point? A dynamic mic? Anyway. Nice vocal arrangements. You've always had an ear for vocal harmonies, I think, and this is no exception. How did you get the reverb on the background guitar? Was it applied in post or a vagary of recording? It's nice, and I like where you go for the ending, but you do get some pretty bad clipping at that point.

Perception Check - Her Wounds - This made me laugh. There's just an energy and a sound about it starting off where I can't help it. It is an enjoyable feeling. The bass is pretty awesome in this song, too. Has your voice gotten better? I feel like it has, but I can't tell you what has changed to give me that impression. The melodic guitar is excellent though - is that a chorus effect on it? Some of your delivery is very stage-like (in a good way), I would love to hear you cover something from the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack. I think it would be awesome. Anyway, the lyrics kind of turned the song from the happy tune I expected it to be into a darker place. But I am cool with that.

Ricetigers - IVP - This is a little different. There's like a bit of syncopation at the beginning of the vocals that's super interesting. I also really like that you kept it short and sweet - it's usually something I have trouble achieving.

All One to Me - Last Defeat - This is pretty good. Very punk, and good use of the lead guitar in the background. I am not sure I would listen to this above other punk songs, though to be honest I have moved pretty far away from punk and punk-inspired music as both a listener and a composer. The recording and band are both very tight though, there's no wasted time or sloppiness.

Thibault - Leadfoot - This was originally a way for me to experiment with loading and triggering samples (the modulated violin sound being the most obvious one) that got expanded into a song. I occasionally enjoy the odd EDM tune and figured that if nothing else I can learn something by writing in the genre. I am happy with how it turned out, but the song itself is a bit too long. I have since trimmed it a bit and removed some of the excess noise. Still, I am happy with how it has turned out.

Ciaran Lyttle - Rainin' Blues - Yeah, I could fuck to this. Except then I would be prone to saying things like "damn, the control on those bends... I mean your bends, baby." This is how I speak during when the loving is happening. Voice isn't bad either - I really enjoy the background guitar throughout the track. It smoothes things out but also adds a hint of psychedelia to it. I love the chordal shift around the 4th minute before the guitar solo, which is almost predictably awesome. Great track.

Perception Check - Dead Inside - Damn you, Homer. I am nursing the tail end of a hangover. I am not supposed to be headbanging. At all. Now I am... dead inside. Seriously though, your voice would be awesome for a soundtrack-style tune, I'd love to hear you have a go at something like that.

Brianna J - Discomfort Inn - Nice cover. You did pretty well without a condenser mic, all things considered. You'll have to link us to the updated version. Very folksy tune, great way to end the mixtape.

Overall a very good mixtape. Ciaran's first is my favorite, but everyone's doing some pretty cool things these days. Neat. Can't wait until the next one.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.