Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it...

Default Why is it...

Why is it when you stub your toe you have enough time to fully formulate a thought (I find "oh fuck" to be an appropriate one) before the ridiculous pain washes over you? I can't think of any other physical sensation that has this delayed reaction.

And, as a secondary point, why is the pain so fucking disproportionate to the injury? I'm generally great with pain. I once put a lit cigarette out on my arm to prove a point. Which is fucking retarded, I know, I'm not boasting. Just illustrating that I can handle pain. But when I stub my toe I spend my "oh fuck" moment in genuine terror of the shitstorm of pain that is about to envelop me. And it lasts so long!

It's not even a useful pain. I mean, burning, that's a useful pain. It says "don't touch that hot thing" or "don't put that cigarette out on your arm you fucktard". But what is toe-stubbing pain trying to tell me? Not to kick the couch? I already know that! It was an accident!

Writing a post about it seems to be a good way to pass the time until the pain stops though.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

Your toes are as far as possible from your brain - when something hurts your toes, it takes a long time for the signal to travel through your entire body to your brain, and then back down to your toes, and THAT's when you feel the pain. There's always a slight delay with any injury, but it's most noticeable with the toes due to the distance.

And it hurts sooo much because fingers and toes have the most nerve endings in the body. Closing the car door on your fingers is ridiculously painful, too, and you might not even end up with a bruise :P

And I guess the pain is to tell you to fucking WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING, MORON. I mean, things like stubbing toes and closing fingers in car doors are pretty fucking stupid, so I think our bodies are just soooooo disappointed in us that they react by giving us ridiculously high amounts of pain as punishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I think our bodies are just soooooo disappointed in us that they react by giving us ridiculously high amounts of pain as punishment.
    Perfect answer. Case closed.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

I think it's the same with paper cuts. Your body's like, "You let a fucking piece of paper get the best of us?? Really, dude? How are we EVER going to make it in the real world? Fuck you. Here's a shitload of unbelievable pain as punishment."
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I thought teeth had most nerve endings? A dentist told me so.

If dentists knew what they were talking about they'd be doctors.

Anyway, what about the clitoris?

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    If dentists knew what they were talking about they'd be doctors.

Anyway, what about the clitoris?
    I wouldn't know. I never stub my clitoris on furniture...

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Don't know about that one, but you definitely can knock your pubis or pelvis against furniture. Especially if you aren't careful or don't look where you're going.

And French dentists are doctors. Why, do they still recruit them amongst blacksmiths in England?

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    And French dentists are doctors.
    Medical doctors? Well, perhaps my joke only works for England.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I wouldn't know. I never stub my clitoris on furniture...
    I was setting that joke up for myself, but you made good enough use of it I suppose.

There's no question about it, they're doctors in their own right. Had no notion it could be different in England.

Wait... it explains everything. At any rate, it explains your teeth...

Don't get me wrong, I love and adore and revere your teeth. Every single one of them has its own special story to tell, and they're all at variance with one another, one could spend an afternoon gazing at them in wonderment.
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 01-25-2014 at 08:40 AM.