Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ukraine

How do you imagine the perfect hau in your toadalitarian dreams?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

Just going to interrupt the bickering for a moment to comment on the amazing pictures coming out of Ukraine. The use of the testudo in particular is quite impressive. This defensive tactic has been employed in this part of the world for thousands of years and it's still proving effective. Seeing it in action is, for me anyway, quite evocative. I feel inspired by the beauty of the formation and humbled by the weight of history. And I feel disturbed that millennia-old methods of warfare are still applicable today. That human history even today can still be defined by acts of violence. Modern warfare feels so distinct from anything that happened prior to the 20th century that it's easy to fool yourself into thinking its something new. But when I see the implementation of a shield wall from antiquity I can't help but see a constant narrative of violence spanning all of human history. It's a bit depressing.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by OC HAU View Post
    How do you imagine the perfect hau in your toadalitarian dreams?
    Dead.

And incorporated in a crispy meat pie.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread (though apparently neither do HAU and Maria...) except that it's "Ukraine" and not "The Ukraine".

I haven't been following the situation closely enough to have an opinion on the solution...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

You missed an opportunity to shut your mouth.

- Who created the thread in the first place?
    - I'll choose to write as I see fit, thank you very much.
    - We are all waiting for the results of today's referendum, you fucking cretin. Jesus, how can one be so dumb. It just beggars belief.
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 03-16-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Lol I didn't even notice it was you who created the thread. That makes it even funnier.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

lololol

Dumb as can be. And blocked.

Well, there you go! Sold. I wonder some have the nerve to claim a referendum is illegal. I wish we had more referendums. Scratch that... I wish we had ANY referendum at all!

Bah, after a quick look around, those who spout the term "illegal" are either imperialistic yankees, or subservient to them.
    So, peace to men of good will, and let Russia settle things in her own backyard.
    Last edited by Duskygrin; 03-16-2014 at 08:04 PM.

To be fair it is the circumstances surrounding the referendum and the methods of implementation that are being rejected. If it had been done differently there would perhaps not be so many critics.

I don't know enough about the situation to have an opinion personally. I don't even know if it would have been possible to conduct the referendum differently. I'm only clarifying the part critics have a problem with. Essentially they say it was rushed, insufficiently announced, and people had to vote with Russian guns pointed at them. That last part may or may not be figurative.

Again, I'm not really qualified to have an opinion, so I'll phrase the following in the form of a question. Was it not already widely believed that the majority of people living in Crimea wanted to break away? Don't the results of this referendum (even if implemented less than perfectly) simply support the already prevalent theory?

And finally, because I really don't want to be drawn in to any kind of argument, I'll state again that I do not currently have an opinion on the whole mess.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I have an actual question about this that, to me, seems to be the crucial detail in determining whether Putin was justified. Can the Ukrainian president unilaterally request foreign military intervention? I haven't seen one single media outlet address this question. I know for a fact that in a great many republics, a leader requires legislative support to make such a decision. So regardless of whether Yanukovych was still Ukraine's legal president or not, his written request for Putin to intervene (which has now been shown) may be null and void.

The referendum is important because it reflects the people's loyalty, but its validity is questionable. Crimea is an autonomous republic and could have had this referendum literally any time. They couldn't just up and secede any time, because that's not how secession works, but no one's stopping them from having a referendum on whether they'd like to. Now that Russia's around to intimidate the Ukrainians, they finally got around to it.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"