Thread: Delivery Driver situation

Default Delivery Driver situation

If you ordered delivery and the whole order was right except for a missing side item (like missing soda or bread sticks or a side salad or whatever), do you make the driver go back to the store to bring back the right food? I personally think it's best to just pay the total minus the price of the missing item and let the driver be about his way. I'll explain the reasons behind my stance eventually, but first: what do you think?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

The driver is still getting paid to do his job, and that's his job, he may have forgotten something or maybe it was the person who took the order's fault, but if you really need a soda because you don't have refreshments at home or are naked and don't wanna go to the store or whatever, he should go back for the missing items, I don't think it is douchebaggy, if you request properly, of course.
    -Chuck Berry is actually a blackberry...

Quote Originally Posted by steinberg View Post
    Off spring show is the most source of entertainment in the new generation.
    -Gotta love bots...

I believe Spongebob touched upon this subject poignantly...
    Night brings bad dreams
    Bad dreams and guillotines

In my experience places like Pizza Hut or Papa John's would comp the whole order (or give you credit for next time) rather than have a driver have to come back with the missing or corrected item. In my opinion this is the only good solution to the problem. The customer has placed an order for a meal and if any part of that meal is missing or incorrect then that is not the meal he ordered or wanted. Merely not charging him for the part that got fucked up is not remotely adequate. You've ruined his meal. Would you spit in his food and then offer not to charge for the bit you spat in?

That might sound excessive but I really believe a missing item ruins the whole thing. When I order a meal I take ages and get everything just the way I want it and by the time the food arrives I'm actually excited because my super awesome meal is here. If so much as a dipping cup is missing then it's not my super awesome meal anymore. It may as well be a pile of shit. My excitement vanishes. The magic is gone. Is that childish? Maybe. But we all need a little self-indulgence from time to time to get us through.

People who have never been poor might not get this so much but ordering something like pizza can be an amazing treat that brings a moment of real joy. When you fuck up their order you're not just mildly inconveniencing them. You're putting another nail in the coffin of their soul.

I believe that good customer service is something of an ethical responsibility but ignoring that it's also just good business. Customers have options. Nowhere is this more true than hospitality/food service. If you want to succeed in this area you have to constantly be looking for ways to make your customers happy. Every time you fuck up (and you will, it's only human) you can view your mistake as a problem that needs solving (back to the store for a missing item) or an opportunity to show your customers how awesome you are thereby ensuring continued repeat business and good word of mouth. I know which I'd pick every time. When I worked in hospitality I used to love dealing with minor complaints because it was an opportunity to really make someone's day by responding positively and freely offering more than they would have expected to receive. I received so much positive feedback for doing this. It was great for the business, great for the customer and great for my soul. Contrast that to some of my more negative co-workers who would look for any opportunity to screw over a customer and save the business a dime. They tended to be miserable fucking beings who wanted nothing more than to spread their misery. They might technically excel at their jobs but somehow they never got promoted...

TL;DR

Full comp/credit is best solution for both the customer and the business.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post

When you fuck up their order you're not just mildly inconveniencing them. You're putting another nail in the coffin of their soul.
    lol. A big ol' grin came across my face upon reading this.

As a former delivery driver, it really sucks when you have to go back to the house for just a soda or sauce cups something. I agree with basically everything PIB stated, but I also would stress that when you make the driver come back again, you're almost definitely causing other customers to have to wait longer for their food. I've been asked to come back to a house on extremely busy nights where we were understaffed and trust me, this dramatically increases everyone's wait time and can even make the food arrive at a lukewarm temperature. Furthermore, you make the driver look bad for his manager, and cause that much more stress within the store. So you're kind of allowing for the existence of a problem for several other people when you could easily just ask for a refund instead. Is that so much to ask? Are you fries or small order of wings accompanying 5 pizzas that important? That's a big part of it to me.

This depends quite a bit on what item the driver forgot too. But to me, as long as you have the main items right and there's enough food for a legitimate meal for everyone eating, you shouldn't send the driver back again. I would say this extends to dessert items and possibly even side items (for example, if breadsticks that are just a side that accompanies 3 large pizzas).

side note: PIB- when you brought up the idea of a small part of the meal (such as the sauce cups) "making the meal" for you, I was reminded of an orientation video I watched for Papa John's in which they showed that we are to give full refunds to a customer who was upset that we forgot the single garlic sauce cup that comes with each pizza because that "makes the meal" for him. So company policy is almost always on your side to get a full refund in situations like this, which should be even more incentive for folks to opt with the refund over sending the driver back.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I'd personally be fine with just getting a discount.

However, this gets into my views on food industry labor in the US. If an item is forgotten, it's probably the driver's fault, as order stickers say on them how many items are in the order, so it's the driver's job to make sure they have all those items. Due to understaffing, low pay, and minimal training (which are all on the shoulders of the owners), delivery drivers are bound to make a lot of mistakes - especially as a lot of incompetent workers are involved. As I think that the food industry needs to pay more staff members to be on during busy hours, pay a living wage BEFORE tips, and give the workers more training (and I don't mean watching videos...), having the mistakes fall on to the company seems very fair to me. Maybe if they started to lose money due to these kinds of mistakes, they'd start to pay more, train better, and have more people working.

I compare it to fast food workers in the US versus Slovenia (though I'll use Australia as a comparison in terms of numbers because people are more familiar with their economy - the situation is the same, though). In the US, a fast food worker (regular worker, burger flipper, whatever) earns minimum wage or just slightly above. In Australia, they've been earning around $15/hr for some time now (even before their minimum wage went up) - they make quite a bit more than min wage here, as well.

Okay, in the US, a normal sized Big Mac meal is what, like $5? $6? Here it's around $7.50-8.00. Not all that much more. And the quality of service? A million times better. The restaurants are CLEAN. The staff brings your food to you. They fill your drinks for you. They clear your trash for you afterward. I don't eat fast food often anymore, but I've never had a fuck-up in Slovenia on fast food. Ever. And the employees never seem overwhelmed because the place is properly staffed. So, if I want McDonalds, sure, I pay a little bit more - and that's fine to begin with because I don't need my fast food to be cheap as dirt. But everyone benefits when the workers get proper training and decent wages, and aren't overworked/overwhelmed.

Point is, the owners are responsible. You gave that person their job, and you are responsible for their work and actions. The end.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    PIB- when you brought up the idea of a small part of the meal (such as the sauce cups) "making the meal" for you, I was reminded of an orientation video I watched for Papa John's in which they showed that we are to give full refunds to a customer who was upset that we forgot the single garlic sauce cup that comes with each pizza because that "makes the meal" for him. So company policy is almost always on your side to get a full refund in situations like this, which should be even more incentive for folks to opt with the refund over sending the driver back.
    That's awesome. I'm generally a big fan of Papa John's and I fucking love the garlic sauce. I usually order extra cups of it. I love the free pepperoncini (sp?) too. Both those arguably minor details were often the entire reason I picked Papa John's over something else and as such I felt justified in asking for serious compensation if these things were missing. I'm gratified to see Papa John's totally get it. I recently discovered Papa John's exists now in the UK and was so happy when I ordered a pizza and discovered it was largely the same as the US version. It came with a garlic cup and everything! No free pepper though, sadly. And they don't do normal breadsticks which really disappointed me. In the US when my friends were ordering Papa John's I would often just add on a box of breadsticks and a handful of dipping cups for my meal. Oh, that reminds me, I wanted to bring that up in response to what you said about missing breadsticks. It might seem like they still have most of "the meal" but you really don't know what they had planned. The breadsticks could have been my whole meal. I totally agree though about not making the driver go back. I was always happy to have comp/credit. Going back is really not even a solution. The meal is still fucked now because of the extra time waiting. Particularly if half your food is getting cold while you wait. Just give me a sincere apology and free shit and we're all good.

I once had a driver insist on going back for the soda he had forgotten. I felt like I had to accept that instead of asking for comp/credit. It took him almost an hour to return with it by which time we had of course finished eating. We really didn't want the soda by that point and the meal had been, well, not spoiled but certainly lessened. But I didn't feel like I could complain at that point. After that if I noticed something was wrong with the order I waited for the driver to leave then just called the store. Seemed much easier and always got a great result.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    But everyone benefits when the workers get proper training and decent wages, and aren't overworked/overwhelmed.

Point is, the owners are responsible.
    Totally agree. I've always fantasized about owning my own hotel or restaurant, or ideally both. I would pay the staff at least 25% more than average in order to attract the best workers in the field and motivate them to perform at their highest level. This extra cost would be more than made up in several ways. For one thing, I wouldn't experience the same insane turnover rate that hotels/restaurants usually face because people would be more satisfied with their jobs. That means I wouldn't have to waste time/money hiring/training all the damn time. And the customers would definitely notice that the overall quality was substantially higher which would be fantastic for word of mouth and repeat business. I have seen first hand how much of a boost an experienced and competent team can provide to a business and how much the customers recognize and appreciate it. What I sadly haven't seen much of first hand is a company that's willing to pay a little more in order to make sure this happens.
    Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 03-10-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Currently employed as a driver for Papa Johns, so I'll give my two cents.

Whenever a driver forgets something, there are usually two options: Have the driver come back and bring the missing item to the customer or comp them a free pizza/soda. If it's a small side item, like dipping cups, sodas, etc, it's better to take the comp, but there have been drivers who fucked up royally and forgotten mains items, like breadsticks, wings or even pizzas. We are all humans and mistakes will happen, but I do take the blame in the end if something is missing from the order. It is my job to double check the order and make sure that everything that is on my receipt is present. If I forgot something, I don't have a problem with either option. Granted, the comp option is way better for me, but I will go back to the restaurant for a couple garlic cups if need be because, in the end, it's my job and if I had done my job right the first time I wouldn't have to make an extra trip. Plus, it's unfair to the customer who is expecting (and in many instances already paid for) all the items in their order.

So yeah, as a customer myself, if something like this would happen to me, i'd probably go with the comp option or just forget about it if it's a small side item.

Make the driver go back and forth for a small part of the order being wrong? If I was the driver, I'd punch you right in your fucking face. Mistakes happen. Comp the order? Jeezuz, I'm a prick but get real. If everytime one of you asswads made a mistake, no matter how small, what if someone made you or your company pay for it? Get off your ass and get it yourself next time or better yet, make dinner. Another of the worlds problems solved...you're welcome.