Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: On "claiming" a decade

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,891


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    I don't even remember posting in this thread though, I was pretty drunk.
    Like, Teenage Dirtbag drunk? Because that would be perfection.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cascadian Exile
    Posts
    19,598


    Default

    I was one of those people who spoonfed the Spirit of Rock poison until it died by shitting itself to death, we all slunk away due to embarrasment and quietly sold our KoRn and Limp Bizkit albums. Grunge is still great, rap-rock and nu-metal were atrocious, if you believe otherwise you aren't a 90s child.

    Also Pierce Brosnan forms my conception of Bond.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    5,199


    Default

    This is kind of dumb. Regardless of what you identify with, if you were born in 89, you're a 90's kid. You were a kid, in the 90's.

    I too, was born in 89, and I guess I do consider myself a 90's kid. I don't really remember the very early years, but I have some pretty vivid memories from at least 94 and onwards. I remember my favourite cartoons, I remember the friends I ran around in the streets with and got my knees and hands dirty with, I remember the music and movies that was on tv and radio. So yeah, I engaged, I am a 90's kid. I remember the early 00's being formative years for me as well though, absolutely. So both, I guess.
    http://soundcloud.com/ciaran-lyttle
    I did it all for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I don't think I'm like this anymore, though many on this forum might think otherwise.
    As I've grown up some. back in the day. I even use myself as an example. reflected on things that happened in the past. I have a better understanding of things now. At least I can admit it now. I have somehow caused this situation by mentioning how I used to act on here. how I've changed. I'm a relatively normal poster now

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cascadian Exile
    Posts
    19,598


    Default

    I think when it comes down to it, this all stems from the fact that its repulsive to see people younger than you, wax nostalgic.

    Because you're 100% right Coney M, this is ridiculous. The real takeaway is "quit acting nostalgic, its annoying."

    Back in 2009, I thought nobody would outdo babyboomers in obnoxious, self-congratulation. Our generation sure took that bull by the horns.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    Man, the 90s had REM, Tool, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers (the latter two in their prime), Rage Against the Machine, NIN, Dave Matthews Band, No Doubt, Tori Amos, Weezer, Cranberries, Garbage, Radiohead, Pixies, Aaliyah....... nah, I really can't discredit "90s music"....

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I was one of those people who spoonfed the Spirit of Rock poison until it died by shitting itself to death, we all slunk away due to embarrasment and quietly sold our KoRn and Limp Bizkit albums. Grunge is still great, rap-rock and nu-metal were atrocious, if you believe otherwise you aren't a 90s child.

    Also Pierce Brosnan forms my conception of Bond.
    There was plenty of shit... and sadly I liked enough of that shit. I definitely had a Korn CD, a Limp Bizkit one, I briefly liked Kid Rock, and I really liked Creed....

    Rap rock was horrible. Nu metal I sadly have to admit I still like some of (I like the occasional Slipknot, Mudvayne, or Static X), but I am aware of how bad it was/is and have no delusions about it. And I listen to it less and less as time goes on. Because it really was not good music.

    Flobots are good, though, even though one could call them "rap rock".

    Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    This is kind of dumb. Regardless of what you identify with, if you were born in 89, you're a 90's kid. You were a kid, in the 90's.

    I too, was born in 89, and I guess I do consider myself a 90's kid. I don't really remember the very early years, but I have some pretty vivid memories from at least 94 and onwards. I remember my favourite cartoons, I remember the friends I ran around in the streets with and got my knees and hands dirty with, I remember the music and movies that was on tv and radio. So yeah, I engaged, I am a 90's kid. I remember the early 00's being formative years for me as well though, absolutely. So both, I guess.
    Yeah, I agree. I mean, I'm '84, so nobody would argue that I was a 90s kid, but I agree that it's a really dumb debate, and it's about what you personally connected with. You connected with the later 90s and early 00s. That's cool. Why on earth would you have to be one or the other, and why would anyone care? Ha.

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I think when it comes down to it, this all stems from the fact that its repulsive to see people younger than you, wax nostalgic.
    Ah, right. That's why anyone cares.

    Because you're 100% right Coney M, this is ridiculous. The real takeaway is "quit acting nostalgic, its annoying."

    Back in 2009, I thought nobody would outdo babyboomers in obnoxious, self-congratulation. Our generation sure took that bull by the horns.
    Yes, yes, yes. I am so, so sick of manufactured "nostalgia" connected to items you owned and used as a child. IF YOU REMEMBER THIS YOU ARE AWESOME because being alive at a certain time and consuming a certain product makes you cooler than other people LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    O hay look someone just posted this crap on FB.



    OMG LOL LYK TOTALLY REMEMBER A SUPER LONG, SUPER SHITTY PIECE OF CHEWING GUM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,231


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Grunge is still great, rap-rock and nu-metal were atrocious, if you believe otherwise you aren't a 90s child.
    I disagree. In the late '90s, nu-metal and post-grunge were both firing on all cylinders. The first wave of post-grunge rock was really good. Candlebox, Collective Soul, Foo Fighters, etc. The first albums of bands like KoRn, Godsmack, and Disturbed were also pretty good representatives of the nu-metal genre. But some time during the early '00s, the worst elements of both of these genres seemed to fuse together to make the godawful "Alternative Metal" genre. Then suddenly we have bands 10 Years, Three Days Grace, Trapt, and Saving Abel are taking over rock radio. Even the early nu-metal bands all seem to sound like that now. Present-day Godsmack and Disturbed sound nothing like their first respective records.

    Rap-rock… well. I want to speak in its defense as a genre, but a little of Faith No More and the Beastie Boys are that come to mind when I think of good rap-rock. I'm really hoping we look back on dubstep as a brief fad in the same way. I fucking hate dubstep.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,891


    Default

    What's wrong with a little harmless nostalgia? Nostalgia is fucking great as long as you're smart enough to know that's what you're experiencing and that your own subjective past is not objectively better. A lot of shit from when I was a kid makes me irrationally happy. That's nostalgia. How can that be bad, you cynical bastards?

    I suppose I completely ignored the fact that this thread was supposed to be about telling other people what decade to identify with and blah blah blah and instead thought it would be fun for everyone to tell us what they identify with. As such I still think this is a good thread. I think Bighead was the only one trying to judge others so just hate him, not the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrconeman View Post
    This is kind of dumb. Regardless of what you identify with, if you were born in 89, you're a 90's kid. You were a kid, in the 90's.
    Dude, we live in an age where being born with a dick doesn't prove you're a boy. If gender is a societal invention I'm pretty sure people can identify with whatever decade they want and no logical argument will make any difference.

    I'm suddenly reminded of the surprisingly funny 21 Jump Street movie. Stop reading this crap and go watch that instead. Per, I'm pretty much just talking to you now. Screw these other assholes. Unless they like 21 Jump Street. James Franco's brother's in it so it's basically Pineapple Express.

    Oh, and Brianna, the solution is not to use Facebook. Nostalgia isn't bad. Facebook is bad! Facebook ruins everything.

    I'm ashamed to admit it but I still think some Limp Bizkit songs are legitimately good even if the majority aged pretty badly. Though to be honest the shame is part of the fun.

    Omni, this is for you.

    I've completely abandoned coherency.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,430


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Sure, some was bad. But you can't write off an entire decade of music.
    I can write off a collective celebration of mediocrity. I have nothing against nostalgia - it's a nice feeling.
    I do it sometimes, watching things I liked when I was a kid, or remembering what I used to listen to. I have a problem with '90s nights' and social gatherings which devolve into an odd assortment of who can remember the worst possible thing while everyone sings along.

    It's mostly because I don't have a lot of the same markers, so I can't appreciate people I otherwise like going out of their minds over songs I can only describe as mildly annoying.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,891


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I have a problem with '90s nights' and social gatherings which devolve into an odd assortment of who can remember the worst possible thing while everyone sings along.
    OMG that sounds so fun I wanna go.

    But not with you 'cause you're a robot. Apparently. And not the cool kind that wants to kill John Connor or have sex with me.

    Each to their own of course. But do you really not think any music from that entire decade is good? None at all? Not one song? I'm not trying to change your mind or argue with you or anything. I'm just looking for clarification because I'm surprised.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.” – Bill Hicks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •