Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: On "claiming" a decade

I've always been a bit perplexed by the "You know your a 90's kid when..." stuff on social media. Sure, I remember the existence of many of those things (may Furby rot in hell!) but I was far too poor to actually experience them. We didn't have cable and I only saw those toys when friends had them. I don't feel like I actually became my own person until the early 00's, when the internet allowed me to access more than the music played on the radio and my mom started letting me pick my own clothes at the store. The first time those started circulating on the Myspace bulletin board (Now THAT is something I feel nostalgic for.), I was all, "Mmk lol, that's lyke awesome or whatever..." But geeze... Bubbletape really is gross, people. Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

I honestly kind of liked MySpace better. Facebook is practically unstoppable at this point, at least for the foreseeable future. I knew not even Google's Google+ was going to make a dent in it. I never had a Xanga account. I think a distinction needs to be made between "kid" and "adolescent," because being an adolescent is when all of the real personality growth occurs. It's also when you experience both the most fun and misery of childhood (for most people). I was a '90s kid, but a '00s adolescent.

Another thing I've noticed as I've aged is the diversion to trying to new things. When I was a kid, almost everything looked cool and interesting to me. I try so hard to recapture that enthusiasm every day, but it's pretty difficult. I'm thinking I should start living my life a little more like that Yes Man movie (and novel, right?), of course not as extreme. I won't be saying yes to unprotected gay sex with a homeless man behind the dumpster of Denny's, but I kind of feel like we're living in a pretty magical time and I don't do anything to experience any of it any more. I used to get super excited about new video games, now I kind of hate playing games. I haven't owned a new console since my PS2. I used to love the idea of just getting out of the house and going to the grocery store or whatever, even though I was a kid and had no money to buy anything. Not so much anymore. Almost literally anything besides doing nothing sounded like the most appealing idea to have ever been conceived.

I also want to say that even though I love MP3s and wouldn't ever trade that convenience for anything, I really miss albums. I hate seeing record stores shut down, and the once sprawling music section of places like Best Buy being reduced to a puny little half-aisle. Physical media of all kinds are on their last leg and there was a certain culture and wonderful experience of going to the store and buying a new album that's vanished. It's the same with movies, and video games are quickly going the same route.

A culture of being ripped off. Fuck those dinosaurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

I do understand the times are a-changin'. I know CDs and the like are outdated, overpriced, and more often than not, stuffed with more filler than you're comfortable paying for. In all honesty, we're better off without them. Again, I wouldn't give anything for MP3 technology and the ability to truly try before you buy, but I do kind of miss the simple pleasure of experiencing the act of purchasing music with my own hands and then owning all the neat cover art. I guess at the heart of the matter, I highly enjoy collecting things.

Just waxing nostalgic. Some of us are just soggy sentimental saps.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    I've always been a bit perplexed by the "You know your a 90's kid when..." stuff on social media. Sure, I remember the existence of many of those things (may Furby rot in hell!) but I was far too poor to actually experience them. We didn't have cable and I only saw those toys when friends had them. I don't feel like I actually became my own person until the early 00's, when the internet allowed me to access more than the music played on the radio and my mom started letting me pick my own clothes at the store. The first time those started circulating on the Myspace bulletin board (Now THAT is something I feel nostalgic for.), I was all, "Mmk lol, that's lyke awesome or whatever..." But geeze... Bubbletape really is gross, people. Get over it.
    I've had a similar thought many times when I see these posts. They're almost always nostalgia for consumer goods - things you could purchase and own, and these things often say things like, "If you don't remember this, you didn't have a childhood" or, "I feel sorry for you if you don't remember this." And then I think, what about the kids who couldn't afford that stuff, or their parents didn't buy them everything? Kinda sad that the "nostalgia" everyone likes to talk about is pretty much purely consumer-related. Nostalgia for dance styles, slang (remember when everyone said "...NOT!" all the time?), playing MASH, actually going to libraries, even the existence of payphones... still maybe kinda lame, but at least people can relate to it regardless of purchasing and wealth.

And anything food-related was generally disgusting. Bubble Tape? Pepsi Blue? Ecto Cooler? People go on about this stuff like it was delicious and amazing, but news flash - there's a reason it doesn't exist anymore. People stopped buying it because it was gross! :P
    Last edited by Llamas; 03-14-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    "If you don't remember this, you didn't have a childhood" or, "I feel sorry for you if you don't remember this." And then I think, what about the kids who couldn't afford that stuff, or their parents didn't buy them everything?
    Then they didn't have a childhood and we should feel sorry for them. I think you covered that already actually.

Seriously though, I see your point and certainly approve of your anti-capitalist vibe, but practically every kid had access to some toys and sweets or whatever else at least some of the time. Admittedly the really expensive toys might have started to take over after I was already beyond the toy stage but there were video games and consoles that I would have loved to have but my parents would never buy because they were too expensive. But I still knew they existed. I still thought they were awesome. Occasionally I got to see one in action or maybe even have a go at someone else's house. I still remember they exist.

And I don't think the point of those kind of posts is to shame people who were poor or make them feel bad. It's just to bond with the people who had a shared experience and still remember it fondly. What's wrong with that? Sure, not everyone was as fortunate, but the majority were so I don't think it's insensitive to bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I do kind of miss the simple pleasure of experiencing the act of purchasing music with my own hands and then owning all the neat cover art. I guess at the heart of the matter, I highly enjoy collecting things.

Just waxing nostalgic. Some of us are just soggy sentimental saps.
    Totally agree. The modern way is inarguably better but there were aspects of the previous inferior ways that I miss. I had an enormous collection of CDs, mostly singles thanks to living in the UK, and as you said I loved the cover art and just collecting them and everything.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I still play the Game Boy.
    The classic grey one.

Batman

Haven't managed to finish it yet. Got to the autoscroll level.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    I still play the Game Boy.
    The classic grey one.
    Yuck, those things sucked. Too clunky and ugly looking.

I would like to propose what I think is fairly accurate rule.

If you're not at least approximately 3 years of age by the first year of a new decade, you can't truly say that you got the full experience of that decade. You can reminisce and be fond of that decade, but you did not get the full experience.

My reasoning is that few people can recall any memories from before they were three. Furthermore, if you are at least 8 or 9 (or older) by the mid-point of the decade, then you are experiencing that decade with a significant and increasing degree of cultural consciousness. Sure, someone born in 1989 will have memories dating back to around 1992, but they won't have a fucking clue about what's going on in the world (even basic stuff) until they are at least 8 or 9ish. And by then, the decade is done. So yeah, they cutoff to say you got they full experience of a decade is being born about 3 years before the decade starts.

Agreeable?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

1 members appreciate this post.

Nope, we all agreed this premise was ridiculous (like an Estonian with two potatoes), so we moved on to a better discussion. Join us Bighead, we saved you a spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

They aren't clunky! They're the biggest enjoyment I've ever had out of this crappy decade.

The 90's were definitely crappy, a foreshadowing of the even shittier 00's. More pollution, more taxes, less freedom and everything made in China.