Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you relieve stress?

Default How do you relieve stress?

So I started a Phd about 2-3 months ago, and that coupled with some shitty personal things (boy problems lulz), has left me feeling a bit stressed out!

I've handed in my first assignment, so I have a tiny bit of time to somewhat relax, but pretty soon there's gonna be lots of pressure, and I'm expected to start teaching Old English language classes in September, so I'm freaking out a bit.

I'd usually try go for a walk with the dog, but the weather has been an absolute bollocks recently, so that's been cut down. I also do archery and train twice a week (which is good for relief when you're imagining someone's face on the target), but I still find myself feeling very stressed out and sometimes overwhelmed.

S, what do you do when you're feeling like shite and any advice that I can take on board before I go nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    So I started a Phd about 2-3 months ago, and that coupled with some shitty personal things (boy problems lulz), has left me feeling a bit stressed out!

I've handed in my first assignment, so I have a tiny bit of time to somewhat relax, but pretty soon there's gonna be lots of pressure, and I'm expected to start teaching Old English language classes in September, so I'm freaking out a bit.

I'd usually try go for a walk with the dog, but the weather has been an absolute bollocks recently, so that's been cut down. I also do archery and train twice a week (which is good for relief when you're imagining someone's face on the target), but I still find myself feeling very stressed out and sometimes overwhelmed.

S, what do you do when you're feeling like shite and any advice that I can take on board before I go nuts?
    Hey Alison, I understand the feeling you're going through. Didn't do a phD but did stuff with an awful lot of stress in a long period of time. The problem is, I can give you my technics but I guess you have to find your own.

The only thing that works for me is sport or any kind of physical activities [Insert obvious sex joke]. If the weather is horrible, I clean (which I usually absolutely hate doing).

As for the overwhelming kind of stress, I didn't believe in them but breathing technics actually work.

If none of this works, you can run and scream naked. And cry.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I watch Playboy Amateur Girls.
    I drank from your hands I drank from your mouth you poured into me until I was drowned I had no breath was drunk on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    Hey Alison, I understand the feeling you're going through. Didn't do a phD but did stuff with an awful lot of stress in a long period of time. The problem is, I can give you my technics but I guess you have to find your own.

The only thing that works for me is sport or any kind of physical activities [Insert obvious sex joke]. If the weather is horrible, I clean (which I usually absolutely hate doing).

As for the overwhelming kind of stress, I didn't believe in them but breathing technics actually work.

If none of this works, you can run and scream naked. And cry.
    Thanks for that!

yeah, I think some intense physical activity would probably be a good idea. Once the weather is okay I can go back to hill walking and stuff. And maybe try joining more clubs in college.

I also want to try do yoga. I've done it once before, but I should probably try get into it more.

And running and screaming naked...I'll try that too!

Try writing in a journal. It helps me out so much writing everything out that is bothering me. And after I do feel relieved cause its out of my head and not building up inside causing me to crazy. If that doesn't help I just talk to a couple friends. If all else fail just get drunk, cry and pass out. You wake up in the morning feeling better but might feel hungover but that is only temporary.

Like Harleyquiiinn said, physical activities. For me that's teamsports or running, but teamsports help the most.
    * !

From now on I'll just imagine Harley and Alison running around naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    If that doesn't help I just talk to a couple friends.
    I would have thought your friends were the problem considering you have awful taste in that department
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Lol. I do actually have some pretty awesome friends. Oh when it comes to MOTO ( that's who you're talking about I guess) gotta be careful what I say. He doesn't like to hear if I'm upset about something. He hates emotions.

Blasting music. Loud.

Also, I tend to feel most relaxed when I'm drawing, but I'm sure that doesn't extend to everyone. Consuming projects, like stippling, really take your mind off problems, and make you focus on what your doing.
    Night brings bad dreams
    Bad dreams and guillotines

Music does help me out a lot too. I completely forgot to mention that.