Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's okay to pirate a band's music if they're well-off enough

Unless the band explicitly states they don't care, I don't see how anyone can justify pirating.

Between itunes/amazon samples, or the variety of streaming websites out there, you can give new music a listen without piracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

I'm with Jacknife about the whole "if they're cool with it I might do it. That's a big might. I try to buy at least something from an artist at shows(if I have the money). But nothing beats getting a CD in your hand and seeing what the music is gonna sound like once you hit play on your player.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Unless the band explicitly states they don't care, I don't see how anyone can justify pirating.

Between itunes/amazon samples, or the variety of streaming websites out there, you can give new music a listen without piracy.
    I agree

I agree with TreeZ here, piracy made a lot more sense over ten years ago.
    Last edited by wheelchairman; 03-30-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

I mean, I still pirate the fuck outta' television and movies, so I guess I have no real qualms with pirating music. I buy it from time to time, I almost always buy something at a show, but I still download shit too. I should probably just pay for a spotify account though. the last time I used it, there was very little I couldn't find.
    I wrote a four word letter.

1 members appreciate this post.

Is there anyone who saw those stupid "you wouldn't steal a car?" Anti-piracy clips back in the day, and didn't automatically think "but I'd totally fucking download one."

The worst problem with piracy is that the recording industry decided to brand it as 'piracy'. Very hard to take that seriously, it'd be like calling it Brigandry, or Highway-Robbery. Or any number of hobbies practiced by Conan the Barbarian (or Ivan Danko, for the astute 1 person who caught my obscure reference.)

Actually I don't think anyone will get it because you'd have to have Red Heat practically memorized. "You tink pah-rah-keeet is feminine?" You should watch it though, see Jim Belushi before we knew he was awful, hell, see Morpheus with hair. (Morpheus is right, Jim Belushi is a terrible cop.)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Is there anyone who saw those stupid "you wouldn't steal a car?" Anti-piracy clips back in the day, and didn't automatically think "but I'd totally fucking download one."

The worst problem with piracy is that the recording industry decided to brand it as 'piracy'. Very hard to take that seriously, it'd be like calling it Brigandry, or Highway-Robbery. Or any number of hobbies practiced by Conan the Barbarian (or Ivan Danko, for the astute 1 person who caught my obscure reference.)

Actually I don't think anyone will get it because you'd have to have Red Heat practically memorized. "You tink pah-rah-keeet is feminine?" You should watch it though, see Jim Belushi before we knew he was awful, hell, see Morpheus with hair. (Morpheus is right, Jim Belushi is a terrible cop.)
    Yeah, to be fair, the recording industry brought this upon themselves - I feel really bad for the artists because it's the industry that fucked everything up, and I couldn't give a shit about how the industry is suffering, except for the fact that, as a result, the artists are, too.

I've read enough compelling arguments to believe that the recording industry had a hand in allowing piracy to become a thing (including naming it something most people think sounds cool), just so they could sue the shit out of people and get a bunch of money. They just didn't anticipate how huge it'd become.

The anti-piracy ads were always such huge jokes. I don't know why they bothered.

I despise the recording industry and would love to see them come crashing down in a fiery blaze. I do hate that every time I support an American artist who's not completely independent, I also support the RIAA. I just want there to be something ready to catch the artists, because the RIAA created a situation where artists really have little other option than to go through them. I'm sure if the RIAA dies, something else will pop up, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Word for word, yes.

You should watch it though, see Jim Belushi before we knew he was awful, hell, see Morpheus with hair. (Morpheus is right, Jim Belushi is a terrible cop.)
    Oh man, I haven't seen that in 20 years. I don't feel good about that.

When I was a kid I thought Jim Belushi made an excellent cop because of Red Heat and K-9. I actually considered myself a Jim Belushi fan. I honestly thought he was the more talented brother. My god kids are fucking stupid.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

You should, that movie is the perfect time capsule.

I used to love K-9, unfortunately they made a godawful sequel.

Spotify should get rid of the function that turns "public session" back on automatically. I'm sure that with basically anyone, they'd like to have a "private session" 90% of the time they go on Spotify. So why bother having a function that turns the less common "public session" back on? I know it might seem petty, but if you're trying to switch to private session on the phone app while in your car or something, it's actually fairly annoying to have to do every time. Just imagine having to do 3 extra clicks every single time you use a program that you use daily. It gets old.

I'm guessing that when people "share" what they've played through Spotify, it promotes the company. But it's freakin' annoying.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.