Thread: I think I have a good example of MLM companies posing as random people online...

Default I think I have a good example of MLM companies posing as random people online...

in order to defend themselves and create a positive web presence. I want to see if folks would agree with my perception of the phony falseness of supposed MLM defenders around the net.

I watched this video of what I contend is a corporate shill making the case for MLM companies. His name is "Lou Abbot":

While watching the video, I paused it and decided to go check out the link to Abbott's website that the video presents. To be honest, right off the bat I was curious to see if he actually seemed like a regular guy who was inspired to speak/write about MLMs, or just some asshole who was paid by a sleezy MLM corporation to make a video defending them. Below is the link the the aforementioned website: http://www.mlm-thewholetruth.com/com...ge-1/#comments

While viewing the website, I found the whole thing to be really fake seeming. It just seemed to lack any sense of legitimate human inspiration. Robotic, corporate friendly language and phrases everywhere. Then I stumbled upon something in the comment section that I felt seemed outrageously phony. The conversation is below:

Steve Penney May 28, 2013 at 12:07 am
    I was in it a couple years ago. A huge start up cost and you really have to hustle to re-coupe your money. I helped my mother to switch to ACN, however, it she returned back to her old phone company provider she did not really save money on her phone bill. I got out of it after I read Lou Abbott book. Good thing that I did. I even took a trip to Michigan to their headquarter. I was not impressed. Steve

RJ Lange June 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Steve took a trip to Michigan to see the headquarters and wasn’t impressed. I guess not, since the headquarters is in North Carolina : \

ACN is a GREAT option for ANYBODY that needs an opportunity and is willing to actually work to achieve their goals. If you can introduce 3 partners to this business relatively quickly and acquire roughly 25 services in a year or two (consider 5-10 of those services will probably come from your own household) and then MAINTAIN that number of services, you can prosper greatly with ACN. The “HUGE start-up cost” Steve refers to literally made me laugh out loud.

Now is it just me, or does it REALLY seem like RJ Lange is someone paid by and involved with an MLM company? It just seems so odd how this "RJ Lange" has the perfect rhetorical response to each point made against MLMs. And his language seems to border between sounding like he's simply defending MLM's and the language that a con man might use if he were trying to talk someone into taking a bad deal by glossing over huge problems with the deal.
    Last edited by bighead384; 03-27-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Yes, well, ACN is a fucking awful organization, so it doesn't surprise me.

I have no idea how they manage to get so many people to swallow the company line. It's an absolutely abhorrent and immoral thing to sell to people - their clients as far as profit margin goes aren't the people signing up for the services but rather their own salespeople or representatives, all of whom buy into the corporate-sounding lingo and begin to refer to themselves as "running their own business," and who, once they've managed to hook up a service or two or gull a friend into joining below them in the pyramid, pay extra money to attend seminars from the guys at the top and be regaled with tales of how they "made it and you can too" and how they magnanimously give you the chance to network and essentially give your cheap business card to some guy six levels above you who'll smile and make sure to call you by name at least twice during the evening so you feel that thrill like you've been noticed, like you're going to get the chance to prove yourself now, you've got an in, but then he goes back to his hotel room and dumps the pile of sixty business cards in the lobby and drinks three double gin-and-tonics in the hotel bar and waits - really, really hoping that his fantasy of a bored married woman ten feet from him or maybe even a prostitute noticing him would come true so he can forget that tomorrow he has to fly back to the wife he sells the same stories of pathetic losers to and hear her laugh the same laugh and wonder where she really was while he was trying to memorize the names of dozens of losers printed on cheap, piece-of-shit paper - he waits until things start to get blurry and then he gives up, just masturbates and passes out. And the whole time you're driving away, one of sixty or seventy, one of a blurry mass, a pack of fools you couldn't pick apart if you shuffled the deck twenty times, all screaming away from the meeting with the same little buzz in your gut, the little lift that says you're in now, everything's going to be worth it.
    Last edited by T-6005; 03-27-2014 at 03:40 PM.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    Yes, well, ACN is a fucking awful organization, so it doesn't surprise me.

I have no idea how they manage to get so many people to swallow the company line. It's an absolutely abhorrent and immoral thing to sell to people - their clients as far as profit margin goes aren't the people signing up for the services but rather their own salespeople or representatives, all of whom buy into the corporate-sounding lingo and begin to refer to themselves as "running their own business," and who, once they've managed to hook up a service or two or gull a friend into joining below them in the pyramid, pay extra money to attend seminars from the guys at the top and be regaled with tales of how they "made it and you can too" and how they magnanimously give you the chance to network and essentially give your cheap business card to some guy six levels above you who'll smile and make sure to call you by name at least twice during the evening so you feel that thrill like you've been noticed, like you're going to get the chance to prove yourself now, you've got an in, but then he goes back to his hotel room and dumps the pile of sixty business cards in the lobby and drinks three double gin-and-tonics in the hotel bar and waits - really, really hoping that his fantasy of a bored married woman ten feet from him or maybe even a prostitute noticing him would come true so he can forget that tomorrow he has to fly back to the wife he sells the same stories of pathetic losers to and hear her laugh the same laugh and wonder where she really was while he was trying to memorize the names of dozens of losers printed on cheap, piece-of-shit paper - he waits until things start to get blurry and then he gives up, just masturbates and passes out. And the whole time you're driving away, one of sixty or seventy, one of a blurry mass, a pack of fools you couldn't pick apart if you shuffled the deck twenty times, all screaming away from the meeting with the same little buzz in your gut, the little lift that says you're in now, everything's going to be worth it.
    Haha. This kind of rules.

See below for a video of the type of crap that MLM companies (in this case, an MLM known as "Xplocial") post while posing as "random" people who just decided to post a review on Youtuve. This video, along with MANY others like just like it, comes up in searches for "Xplocial reviews". MLM companies post dozens of videos in order to flood the first few pages of search results. They all have corny titles and video descriptions that try to appeal to people who are cynical, like : "HONEST review of Xplocial" (so you know you're going to get someone who's not afraid to really tell it like it is!) or, in the case of the one below: "Don't Join Until You See This" (because anybody posting a video about Xplocial who is even remotely suggesting that someone people shouldn't join Xplocial just CAN'T be someone being paid to make a video for them.

They makers of this video are so shameless that they even produced the video with hip background music.

And I love around 2:45 in the video, when he tries to say that someone with minimum wage could and should pay the $154 to become a platinum member right away because "we're all adults here". Nothing says "mature adult" like forking out like 75% of a minimum wage pay check to join a bullshit scam.
    Last edited by bighead384; 03-27-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Don't you just automatically avoid and ignore this shit like normal people?

Nice that T found a muse in this though. They can hide in the strangest of places, muses. Nice work.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I used to work a multi-company frontline job as tech support. Part of it was troubleshooting ACN videophones and dry loop DSL installations. Half the time it was customers, and the other half it was ACN representatives calling in to speak for their wife or mom or previously estranged uncle - all their 'clients' like a real business, and they'd vomit those dreams of opportunity at you through the phone like you were the one stealing their livelihood out from under them.

I worked in customer service a hatefully long time, but I never heard vitriol as undiluted as what came from these people. So yes, I got a little carried away in my initial response, but they say write what you know. And it turns out I know ACN.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Don't you just automatically avoid and ignore this shit like normal people?
    In my experience, the kinds of people who dig into this and ask questions like those bighead is asking are people who are not actually 100% sure the whole thing is a scam. They're still searching for concrete proof, and actually consider the possibility of it being legit. I dunno. To me, the whole thing is super obvious - of course you can't succeed with this shit and of course the people who write "success story" reviews about these schemes are part of the the whole thing. But if you're not 100% sure that the whole thing is a pile of crap, you ask questions and look for reassurance that you're right.

So yes, bighead, MLM are a joke, nobody actually succeeds except the very, very top people who basically set the whole thing up, and thus the commenters online are not legit. Don't get involved; ignore it like the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    In my experience, the kinds of people who dig into this and ask questions like those bighead is asking are people who are not actually 100% sure the whole thing is a scam. They're still searching for concrete proof, and actually consider the possibility of it being legit. I dunno. To me, the whole thing is super obvious - of course you can't succeed with this shit and of course the people who write "success story" reviews about these schemes are part of the the whole thing. But if you're not 100% sure that the whole thing is a pile of crap, you ask questions and look for reassurance that you're right.

So yes, bighead, MLM are a joke, nobody actually succeeds except the very, very top people who basically set the whole thing up, and thus the commenters online are not legit. Don't get involved; ignore it like the rest of us.
    Oh I KNOW it's a scam. I just hate to see them continue to play people for fools. I mean, people get upset about the things corporations like Wal-Mart are doing, and MLMs are probably even worse. I especially don't like how they flood the net with videos that defend them. A lot of well-meaning people that mean to be responsible and do the research but maybe aren't that bright will fall for these false info on the net.

Beyond that, I drove 45 minutes for a "job interview" for an MLM like 6 years ago. And by "job interview" I mean where they check to see if you're not mentally retarded and then proceed to scam you.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    And by "job interview" I mean where they check to see if you're not mentally retarded and then proceed to scam you.
    Nice that your disability worked in your favour that time.

Couldn't resist.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks