Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you ever be made to respect this guy?

Default Could you ever be made to respect this guy?

Suppose he had a very convincing argument and spoke to you personally.

When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Are you saying you don't respect him?

I see no reason not to respect him. He seems like a nice enough guy. Sure, his lifestyle is strange, he wears a funny outfit, he believes funny things and he's celibate. So what? You wouldn't judge a monk, would you?

Why the fuck do people need to judge each other so much? You think his lifestyle is absurd? Life is inherently absurd. The fact that we even exist is absurd. Just look up in the sky at night. The universe is more ridiculous than any number of middle-aged men pretending to be dogs.

You know who doesn't deserve respect? People who obsess about appearance and fitting in. People who can't be true to themselves because they're too afraid to be different. I totally respect this guy for saying you know what, fuck it, I'mma gonna be me.

Yeah, you know what, I respect the hell out of this guy and I would be honoured to throw a stick for him if I met him in a park. As opposed to Dr. Phil, who I would beat with a stick if I ever got a chance.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Why is your topic worded in a way that assumes everyone should have a stance of disrespect towards this guy initially?

The way he acts/is is weird to me, sure, but that doesn't mean I disrespect him. I pretty much agree with Paint_It_Black, except on the monk thing. Being a monk is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    You know who doesn't deserve respect? People who obsess about appearance and fitting in. People who can't be true to themselves because they're too afraid to be different.
    Some cannot help themselves. In a way, that's their personality. Takes all kinds...

Such people are not my cup of tea, either, but why disrespect them? They deserve pity, if nothing else. They are cowards. And it is a very sad state of affairs, when you cannot summon the courage to stop pretending.

Being a furry is weird. I can not imagine what makes a person want to do such a thing. If I met a furry, I'd be inquisitive and probably clearly find it odd, but being polite all the while.

What causes me not to respect a person includes things like intentionally hurting others, being a nasty person, being completely insincere and dishonest, etc. Being a furry involves none of these kinds of things.

Why on earth would I have no chance of respecting someone who happens to be a furry?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Anyone, including this fucking clown, who job is to go on national tv and give advice, is 99.99999% full of shit. They do their best to shade their complete bullshit by stating the obvious in such a convoluted way to appear waaaayyyy fucking smarter than they are. This guy is a first rate, run-of-the-mill, ball licking, douche.

I've watched the first minute only.
    This guy is crazed.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Anyone, including this fucking clown, who job is to go on national tv and give advice, is 99.99999% full of shit. They do their best to shade their complete bullshit by stating the obvious in such a convoluted way to appear waaaayyyy fucking smarter than they are. This guy is a first rate, run-of-the-mill, ball licking, douche.
    You didn't watch the video! You think it's about Dr. Phil!

Anyway, "respect" was a horrible choice of words. I was thinking of respect in the sense that you appreciate someone's approach to life. Like "having a deep respect" for someone. So basically, I mean that...if you met this guy would you be able to treat him the exact same way as you treat others when you met them? Is it possible that he could eventually become a friend of yours?

Personally, I think I could enjoy his company as long as he is reasonable, but I'd find it hard to be his friend.

Imagine: Your over his house just chilling, and he just drops what he's doing and starts acting like a dog and eating out of his bowl. That's just tough for me to really...appreciate or understand.

Also, I would say that you can "respect" any lifestyle choice so as long as it doesn't harm others, but that doesn't mean you have to view it as rational. And if you don't view someone as rational, it's hard not to think less of them.

and PS: llamas, being a "furry" doesn't really define him, as he mentions in the video. He actually believes he's a dog somehow.
    Last edited by bighead384; 04-01-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Some cannot help themselves. In a way, that's their personality. Takes all kinds...

Such people are not my cup of tea, either, but why disrespect them? They deserve pity, if nothing else. They are cowards. And it is a very sad state of affairs, when you cannot summon the courage to stop pretending.
    Yeah I didn't quite mean what I said. I used hyperbole to make a point. In reality I only feel disrespect for the kind of people Llamas mentioned. Those who harm others.

Bighead, although you are right and he's really not a "furry" by common definition he did say in the video something like he does identify himself as one. Also, you're right that it's hard not to think less of those we find irrational but, to be fair, most of us are irrational in some way. I honestly think no less of him than someone who is devoutly religious, for example.

I'm not sure this guy is capable of having friends exactly so no, I probably couldn't ever be friends with him. Ironic really since he thinks he's man's best friend. I'd have no problem spending time around him though.
    Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 04-01-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

2 members appreciate this post.

Its delightful that Moto's description of Dr. Phil is perfect for Moto himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.