Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atom Willard talks about leaving The Offspring

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Dude didn't really do his research, did he? Even at the time I think that lack of creative input was being cited as one of the reasons for Ron's departure.
    I am pretty sure it was the main reason Ron left it's surprising he didn't know that

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    With that said I think every band should play at least one obscure song at every show. I just think they should
    I agree with you about that
    Last edited by cool 2 hate 681; 04-21-2014 at 10:18 AM.

The not allowing creative control part is fine...it is Dexter's band. The thing that does bum me out a bit is him feeling like na employee and not a band member. That's hard...I get why he left.
    A ghost is all that's left, of everything we swore we never would forget. Tried to bleed the sickness, but we drained our hearts instead. We are...we are the dead.

Atom and the band are better off.
    I thought Atom looked super nervous playing Tehran at CBGBs.

I kinda wish Pete could do whatever he thinks sounds good in relation to his talent, but I have to say Dexter's script works, it just works.

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Dude didn't really do his research, did he? Even at the time I think that lack of creative input was being cited as one of the reasons for Ron's departure.
    Definitely not. It's never been a secret that Dexter runs the band in pretty much every way and makes the decisions. Noodles and Greg are apparently fine with that, but Ron didn't like it. It's surprising that Atom was unaware of this. But it is kind of a shame, as I'd love to hear what a career drummer would do with the drum parts. I bet it'd be a lot more creative and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    I've heard all of those songs several times (minus songs from the first album) at regular shows, and s/t songs at many a club show. I think the 2005 "vault songs" were pure common sense, they had thousands of kids out every night who knew the offspring's first 2 albums, who knew punk-o-rama songs etc. It's common sense. I bet you half of the warped tour crowd either knows or pretends to know the Offspring earlier works and probably cites the age old bullshit "they were better before they hit it big" and "I really liked them back in the day" stupid non sense. At regular non-warped shows the ratio of people that know their earlier work and want to hear it is in the single digits precentage wise. It makes no sense to bum out a couple of thousand people to do a few dozen a favor.
    I think you're being a bit harsh toward people who prefer earlier stuff - it's quite natural and I feel that way about a good number of bands. You get into a band early and really dig their sound and what they do, but then what they do and their sound changes... and suddenly the band is no longer doing what you fell in love with. Weezer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alanis Morissette, Goo Goo Dolls... all examples of bands I adored the early work of, but whose new releases I don't even bother checking out anymore because I haven't enjoyed anything they've done in at least a decade. If I went to see these artists live, I'd definitely hope for them to play more older stuff, for sure. I'd also rather hear a lot of older/more rare stuff if I went to see them again.

However, I wouldn't be upset with the band if they played newer/more popular stuff, and the fact is that a huge percentage of concert goers are not hardcore fans and want to hear a lot of songs they already know. There's nothing wrong with that, either. It's the band's decision which songs they prefer to play. The Offspring likes being a commercial mainstream type of band, so it makes sense that they'd prefer to play the stuff their radio fans will be excited about. They're not Nick Cave - complete opposite of a cult band.

Quote Originally Posted by findout5 View Post
    The not allowing creative control part is fine...it is Dexter's band. The thing that does bum me out a bit is him feeling like na employee and not a band member. That's hard...I get why he left.
    Yeah, I agree. It is Dexter's band and people can decide if they want to play in his band or not... but feeling like an employee when you're playing in a band is really sad... I wonder if all the guys feel that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    but feeling like an employee when you're playing in a band is really sad... I wonder if all the guys feel that way...
    They don't, from what I gather... well I am not sure about Greg, he doesn't talk much

I think it's important to point the fact that Atom joined the band quite late. It's Dexter's band as much as Noodles' and Greg's, even if he's the one who writes the songs. So I don't think the guys feel like employees. I also think that after Atom something changed, probably they loosen things a bit, and decided to let Pete do his thing sometimes so he can enjoy more than atom did and that's why he's still sitting behind the kit.
    My Guitars cover channel

Batman Ninja guitars ---- > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsu...mNXVmfkL4Mi32Q