Thread: 1994: The 40 Best Records From Mainstream Alternative's Greatest Year

Default 1994: The 40 Best Records From Mainstream Alternative's Greatest Year

I nice look back at "the year punk broke." Check out number 17:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...smash-19691231
    Night brings bad dreams
    Bad dreams and guillotines

1 members appreciate this post.

I'm usually one of those people who think Smash has become kind of overhyped, but the fanboy in me is a little upset at this. Smash and Dookie singlehandedly brought punk rock into the mainstream, and it's a fantastic record. Not only do I not believe there were 16 records released in 1994 that were better, but the legacy and impact of Smash alone should place it in the top ten. Even though 1994 saw a huge concentration of good rock music.

I just went through the list, and predictably, Dookie was #1. Actually, now that I look at it, every one of those albums ahead of Smash make a pretty good case, but I prefer very few of them to Smash. Maybe Superunknown and Vitalogy.

That list is messed. The best albums in that list are Weezer, Green Day, NIN, Soundgarden, STP, Tori Amos, Cranberries, Bush, Live, and Offspring. A lot of that list is crap. Hole? Nirvana's live album? Korn? Wow... Hole and Korn did nothing for the music scene. Hole was trash rock, and Korn was the worst of the nu-metal shit. Neither made any impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I agree it's cool they put Smash on it but it is a pretty shitty list

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    That list is messed. The best albums in that list are Weezer, Green Day, NIN, Soundgarden, STP, Tori Amos, Cranberries, Bush, Live, and Offspring. A lot of that list is crap. Hole? Nirvana's live album? Korn? Wow... Hole and Korn did nothing for the music scene. Hole was trash rock, and Korn was the worst of the nu-metal shit. Neither made any impact.
    Korn did nothing for the music scene? Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by miqal View Post
    Korn did nothing for the music scene? Are you serious?
    They started the worst "genre" of the 90s. That's what they did. Nu-metal? There's a reason that shit is dead and buried. I still listen to some nu-metal out of nostalgia, but it's far from good music. What lasting impression did they have?

They started the worst "genre" of the 90s. That's what they did. Nu-metal? There's a reason that shit is dead and buried. I still listen to some nu-metal out of nostalgia, but it's far from good music. What lasting impression did they have?
    In my opinion Korn released some influencial albums, including KoЯn and Life is Peachy and the rest till Take a Look in the Mirror that are also quite good.

First of all, Nu-metal is like any other genre, some winners a WHOLE LOT OF LOSERS. You can't write off an entire genre, Nu Metal brought us the follwing

-The song Blind and Twist from Korn
    -The song Break Stuff from Limp Bizkit
    -Chester Bannington live
    -Slipknot live
    -Numb/Encore Linkin Park / Jay-Z collaboration, which is worth more than both artists complete catalog combined

These are some of the things, that have been added to my music experience as excellent... add to that, that when they are good live KoRn are absolutley fucking mindblowingly amazing, that happens rarely to say the least. I've seen them 6-7 times... 1 was ok, the rest were bad, one was simply aweful and embaressing, and 1 (the most recent, interestingly enough) was absolutley mindfuckingly brilliant and perfect.

You can't write korn off, especially not the first 2-3 albums. I like follow the leader, even tho it was obviously an intentional "sell out" (god how I hate saying that... leaves a bad taste in my mouth) album, I still think there is a lot of brilliant songs like Got the life for example, and Children of the korn.

You guys are missing my point... there are some nu-metal songs I enjoy, but no nu-metal bands had any serious lasting influence on music in the long term. I think the bands that earn a spot on a list like this need to have been influential, like the Offspring being part of what sparked punk to come back in the 90s.