Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: By the grace of Allah eat fresh

Default By the grace of Allah eat fresh

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-food/8507373/

Somewhere Moto is weeping uncontrollably into a freshly baked footlong.

Hey Justin, if you happen to see this, I will love you forever if you give us a new instalment in your Mohammed series. You know he needs to visit a sandwich shop.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

So...because a bunch of friggin Mudlump's don't want to eat swine, everybody who can eat it should not even be able to? Well, now that makes perfect sense. Wouldn't want to inconvenience the poor bastards. You know, it's pretty hard to just not order the meat you don't want and leave it at that.

I am going to have a big fucking ham sammich today in the name of Alah.. Mmmm. Deeee....lish...us.

The article's a bit sensationalist, I find. Subway just upheld their own initiative with regards to changing demographics in different regions.

It's not like a mujahid walked into a store in central London and had a conniption when he saw the long racks of lovingly glazed and preserved pig heads lining the walls. If you're going to open a store in a primarily Muslim area (an area of the town where it's very likely the grocery stores themselves have barely any pork, if any at all), acquiescing to their preferences isn't pandering, it's just common sense. Letting it be publicized and making sure everyone knows it is just good, free advertising.

I'm sure we all appreciate your choice to eat pork instead of beef, MOTO. Good on you for championing monogastrics over methane-producing cattle. You're a true environmental warrior, I can tell.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Yeah, that's me. An environmental monogastrotesticle or whatever the hell you said. A big fucking piece of ham in the name of Alah. I may have it for dinner too...IDK yet. I may even cover the ham with bacon and do a god damn middle eastern chant covered with bacon grease yelling kill the infidels while listening to Yanni or some shit. Anyone wanna join me? Worried about fucking ham, holy shit. Oh, they'll beat the shit out of a woman for no reason, but god forbid they eat a piece of fucking ham.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    The article's a bit sensationalist, I find.
    It was the least sensationalist one I could find. You should have seen the ones I rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    If you're going to open a store in a primarily Muslim area (an area of the town where it's very likely the grocery stores themselves have barely any pork, if any at all), acquiescing to their preferences isn't pandering, it's just common sense. Letting it be publicized and making sure everyone knows it is just good, free advertising.
    That all makes total sense. Except there's a growing fear in the UK that Muslims are trying to take over the country and this is going to really fan those flames. There's bound to be a backlash against Subway and so I feel they're really taking a gamble here.

I'm also concerned that this just gained organizations like UKIP and the EDL a lot of new supporters. It's perfect propaganda material.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Not to worry. As a practicing Muslim, I will help assuage their fears when I land in the UK in a few weeks.

Which part? Have you been to the UK before?

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Which part? Have you been to the UK before?
    I am landing in London, and I have never been before. And it looks like I'll be staying more or less permanently. So that will be fun.

Not really a fan of pandering to any religion in any way... but Subway is garbage, anyway. I can't really manage to care much about what a fast food company does.

Does sound like Subway is working extra hard to pander lately, though, between this and them removing azodicarbonamide from the bread in US stores due to a petition. I guess there's a reason it's the biggest* fast food chain in the world.

*I read somewhere there are more Subway locations in the world than any other chain, but I'm too lazy to check that at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by ilovellamas
    Not really a fan of pandering to any religion in any way... but Subway is garbage, anyway. I can't really manage to care much about what a fast food company does.
    First of all, the ten seconds it took for you to be "too lazy" show that Subway is third by a significant amount, behind McDonald's and KFC. I found that by typing "biggest fast food chain in the world" into Google and it was the first result.

I can't stand reading "I'm pretty sure but I can't be bothered to look it up right now." It just means "I have a general feeling about this but what I say isn't important enough to require a modicum (read: a google search's worth) of research."

Second, I am against Subway (and other fast-food, by extension) because of their links with high-intensity, high-yield industrial meat and wheat production operations. It's encouraging unstable methane emissions, it's damaging the water table, and it's taking advantage of the US's subsidy system and the EU's CAP system to prop up an unstable agricultural bubble that allows them to maximize profits. So let that just speak for itself before I say that I think you're completely wrong in saying that this move by Subway is 'pandering.'

If a mom-and-pop shop selling chips in a busy Lebanese neighbourhood took the time to advertise that they don't use beef-added oil or fries (like McDonald's, for example), we would all be praising them. It shows an awareness of their customer base geographically and demographically. Now when Subway does exactly the same thing on a larger scale, they're the bad guy? Richard is right - there's a rampant (and somehow increasing) Islamaphobia present in the EU and North America that is the primary reason for the negative coverage.

"Hello, I'm a Muslim and I don't eat meat that isn't Halal."
    "Yeah, well, tough tits Mr Iz-lams. We sell to whoever comes in the door."
    "Alright. Well, you're aware that your store is sandwiched (heh) between a gyro place that advertises Halal meats and a Lebanese place, yes? A large part of the community is Middle Eastern."
    "That's a very good point. So will you be taking your ham sandwich with pepperoni on flatbread to go or to go?"

Anyway, the point is that a business that doesn't understand their customer base isn't a good business. McDonald's doesn't sell beef in India, or non-Hala meats in Malaysia. Similar steps are taken by huge chain stores in Canada - Loblaw's in Jewish areas don't stock bacon or ham or sausages. If Subway's customer base in these areas was still mostly non-Muslims, unbelieving pigdogs, and infidels most various, I'd imagine that Subway would never have taken that step. But to call it pandering is to create a problem and an intention on Subway's side that doesn't exist. They've got enough to be villified for without accusing them of the wrong things.