Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: By the grace of Allah eat fresh

T, that was exactly the sort of response I hoped for when starting this thread. Thanks for that. Your intellect and knowledge passed impressive and became intimidating some time ago but at least I can get some use out of it.

So how come you're moving to the UK?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    First of all, the ten seconds it took for you to be "too lazy" show that Subway is third by a significant amount, behind McDonald's and KFC. I found that by typing "biggest fast food chain in the world" into Google and it was the first result.

I can't stand reading "I'm pretty sure but I can't be bothered to look it up right now." It just means "I have a general feeling about this but what I say isn't important enough to require a modicum (read: a google search's worth) of research."

Second, I am against Subway (and other fast-food, by extension) because of their links with high-intensity, high-yield industrial meat and wheat production operations. It's encouraging unstable methane emissions, it's damaging the water table, and it's taking advantage of the US's subsidy system and the EU's CAP system to prop up an unstable agricultural bubble that allows them to maximize profits. So let that just speak for itself before I say that I think you're completely wrong in saying that this move by Subway is 'pandering.'

If a mom-and-pop shop selling chips in a busy Lebanese neighbourhood took the time to advertise that they don't use beef-added oil or fries (like McDonald's, for example), we would all be praising them. It shows an awareness of their customer base geographically and demographically. Now when Subway does exactly the same thing on a larger scale, they're the bad guy? Richard is right - there's a rampant (and somehow increasing) Islamaphobia present in the EU and North America that is the primary reason for the negative coverage.

"Hello, I'm a Muslim and I don't eat meat that isn't Halal."
    "Yeah, well, tough tits Mr Iz-lams. We sell to whoever comes in the door."
    "Alright. Well, you're aware that your store is sandwiched (heh) between a gyro place that advertises Halal meats and a Lebanese place, yes? A large part of the community is Middle Eastern."
    "That's a very good point. So will you be taking your ham sandwich with pepperoni on flatbread to go or to go?"

Anyway, the point is that a business that doesn't understand their customer base isn't a good business. McDonald's doesn't sell beef in India, or non-Hala meats in Malaysia. Similar steps are taken by huge chain stores in Canada - Loblaw's in Jewish areas don't stock bacon or ham or sausages. If Subway's customer base in these areas was still mostly non-Muslims, unbelieving pigdogs, and infidels most various, I'd imagine that Subway would never have taken that step. But to call it pandering is to create a problem and an intention on Subway's side that doesn't exist. They've got enough to be villified for without accusing them of the wrong things.
    Lol, I sat down for a cappuccino at the Vienna airport and killed 5 minutes by coming here and writing that post before packing up to catch my ride :P Had I been at home, I would've checked it immediately.

Fair enough on your second point. Again, 5 minutes... skimmed the article and commented. No need to be so snippy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Lol, I sat down for a cappuccino at the Vienna airport and killed 5 minutes by coming here and writing that post before packing up to catch my ride :P Had I been at home, I would've checked it immediately.

Fair enough on your second point. Again, 5 minutes... skimmed the article and commented. No need to be so snippy!
    I don't blame you for that, Bri. I really don't. Sometimes I post here like that too. But that doesn't make either of us immune from criticism or having our shit called out.

Richard - my work visa in Toronto ran out. In two weeks I land in London with no savings, no place to live and no plan. It's going to be an interesting landing since within 2 days of landing I desperately need a job and a place to live or this time next month I may be homeless (in London).

Which, whatever. Orwell did it, so how hard can it be?
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Well shit. I'm sleeping on a friend's living room floor myself otherwise I would offer you a place to stay.

So why'd you pick London?
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

More work than Paris (terrible 'youth' unemployment in France, and I'm more comfortable in English), and I don't speak German.

Plus I know more people than anywhere else in Europe there (2!) and I can work.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

PIB, are you living in London ? I tought you were living somewhere else in England...

T-6005> Good luck ! I think it is definitely easier to find a job in London but that city is SO expensive it's crazy...

I'll call you both next time I go. We'll go grab a beer.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I'm in Nottingham for the time being but London is only a short train ride away.