Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If your friend is attacked in front of you, do you feel obligated to do something?

Default If your friend is attacked in front of you, do you feel obligated to do something?

in all possible situations?

I mean, I've stood up for people and stood up to people but I've never had to actually fight. Although recently I took a weak punch to the head in a bar scrum.

Suppose someone just took the angle that it just wasn't going to result in any good for them to intervene? Only one more person getting hurt. To be honest, that's not an unreasonable position to take depending on the situation. And beyond that, let's be honest: some people are just fucking WEAK. Most people can at least throw a good enough punch to actually damage someone, but I've seen plenty of people that are so pathetically weak that they couldn't even hurt someone with a free shot. If you are such a person, that seriously limits the amount of situations in which you could actually produce a better result by intervening.

Personally, I'm too afraid to violate this expectation with the fear that I'm justifying selfishness to myself. Which I find strange, because I can sometimes see the logic in not doing anything.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

You always help a friend. No hesitation. No thinking about it. You just do it. It doesn't need to be logical. It doesn't matter if intervening will actually help. It doesn't matter if you might get hurt. You just do it.

You obviously don't understand the meaning of the word pals.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Without a doubt you jump in and help your friend no matter what. If you just stand back and watch your friend getting their ass kicked then you are a horrible person and friend.

Completely agree with PIB.

Sometimes, just an outside intervention, even with someone weak, can help.

Besides "hey, I saw you were getting touched by that guy, and yeah, sure it could have turned into rape but he's stronger than both of us... So I figured ..." [being attacked, girl version]

And also, have you ever seen a duck in a fight ? :

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

Depends by what you mean by attack. If my friend shoots off his mouth and gets into it...he better not expect my help or anyone else's, cause my ass is going to spectate. But in the general sense of stupid violence and some fucking dirtball wants to just get ignorant, of course you help. Unless, of course, you see it's a lost cause, then run like a 'lil bitch.

1 members appreciate this post.

No.

I'd hope that he dies so I could go to his house later to loot his things. Then i'd go home and read my copy of Atlas Shrugged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

1 members appreciate this post.

I jump into pretty much any fight I see, whether they're ongoing or need my fist to fan them to life.

Only kidding - although honestly, in the aforementioned scenario, of course I'm going to jump in. Fists don't hurt when you have adrenaline! Seriously, most "bar scrums" are collective wild swingings of your fists. You're more likely to get hurt tripping while walking up the stairs (more embarrassing that, though, isn't it?). It's easy to get involved in late-night bar fights - you punch someone a few times, maybe get punched, and it's over.

If people are being bottled or stomped or stabbed you call 911. Don't be a fuckhead.

Use your head to direct your fists, young one - either to apply the smackdown most holy on the unbeliever or to loosen your grip and refer to the nearest emergency services because shit going down, y'all. Someone's going to need an ambulance so may as well jump the queue.

I humbly request that you read through my comment again while attempting to guess which accent I was putting on while I wrote out each section.
    Last edited by T-6005; 05-03-2014 at 11:57 PM.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

8. Default

It is initial action that I will do for my friend without any hesitation. I will intervene to them.

Knees to faces!
    I wrote a four word letter.

The fuck? I'm a short, rather small girl and even I would get involved if a friend of mine was attacked. There's almost no way I wouldn't get my ass kicked... but can not stand by and watch something bad happening to someone I care about. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I figured that pretty much everyone would do the same. However, I tend to go with mind over body, and would hopefully remain calm and rational enough to think up a way to get us the fuck out of there... but there's a good chance adrenaline would get the best of me and I'd get myself hurt.

Harley and Thibault made damn good points (definitely calling the police immediately if it's serious). And jackknife made me smile - if your friend is getting his ass kicked because he got in a fight, just go off in search of a new friend. Maybe even the guy who started the fight, because that guy can offer you protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk