Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Im New. Please Love me!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Prison Break. The first season was about a guy, who wants to save his brother from death row by breaking him out of prison, and the second season focuses about the escapees on the run. It should have ended there, but then the showrunners decided to go Jar Jar Binks on themselves and so the show became the biggest disappointment in the history of television (until the final 6 seasons of Dexter happened).
    I might Have to give it a watch then

Quote Originally Posted by KoshaTanic23 View Post
    I might Have to give it a watch then
    It's on Netflix you should check it out it's really good

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS (i've blackened out the text):*
    That does sound pretty great. I see you've given it some serious thought. I like that. It does, of course, make it a completely different show and since I'm a pretty big fan of the show as it is I'm probably glad they didn't do that. But yes, as a whole, your idea is potentially superior. It's got a cohesive narrative. You're basically using the three seasons like the three-act structure of film. It tells a complete story in a satisfying way.

The way Showtime did it clearly wasn't an attempt to tell a complete, cohesive story. It was simply getting to watch a few years of Dexter's life. Seeing his triumphs, his failures, and potential growth. Each season had a complete story and the events of each season would have repercussions in later seasons but there was no attempt to tell a larger story throughout the entire series beyond the story of Dexter's life. I'm fine with that and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even the less great seasons. I tended to watch them as they aired and always eagerly awaited my weekly fix of Dexter. The overall weakness of certain seasons is probably more apparent if you binge-watch entire seasons at once. I'm prone to doing that with shows myself so I'm not arguing against it, but I do think it sometimes encourages us to judge a show too harshly. It is good to keep in mind that the show was not intended to be viewed this way.

I've just realized I have a strong tendency to remember a show more positively if I watch it in instalments as intended instead of binge watching, even though I love the binge while I'm on it. It's even evident in shows where I started off binge watching until I got caught up then switched to weekly viewing, like Breaking Bad or True Blood. I can remember the events of the seasons I binged more clearly, yet I have warmer feelings towards the seasons I watched as they aired. Hmm, anyone else feel this way? I wonder if there's much research on this.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

1 members appreciate this post.

I see what you mean, and looks like you've enjoyed the later seasons of the show more than me. I've followed the show closely, eagerly expecting each episode, but it wasn't until the last 3 seasons or so that I realised something was missing.

MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:

Now that I look back it's even worse, other than the first two (and, to a degree, the fourth) seasons I only very vaguely remember the plots of each season at all. Towards the end it all got too samey for me - a bit of drama between the main characters, a new big bad to catch by the end of the season, all sprinkled by plot twists which were either too predictable or just out of the blue and made no sense (seriously, even if it wasn't biologically, Debra and Dexter were still sister and brother, so who the hell thought planting the idea of Debra being in love with Dexter was a good idea?).

And then the final season, it really seemed they were going somewhere with the plot and I enjoyed it for a few episodes, but then the writers seemed to have lost any sense of direction. And the big finale, holy FUCK! I mean, lumberjack, really? REALLY? The only person who knew who Dexter really was (Debra) dies, nobody hasn't got even a whiff of him being a serial killer, He's got a loving girlfriend (who is, would you know, also a serial killer herself and as such unlikely to ever hand him over to the authorities) waiting for him with his son (who is by now the most important person in Dexter's life). Basically the guy got a clean slate, has the opportunity for a fresh start where nobody on Earth could have gotten to him, as nobody was even after him at this point. And what he decides to do? He somehow believes to be a threat to the 2 people he loves the most, decides to fake his own death (how he even survived the hurricane is beyond me) and move to Alaska. What. The. FUCK!

Now, imagine the possibilities if Brian Moser was left alive at the end of the first season. He was the most intriguing of all the "big bads" of the series, and in my opinion killing him was the single biggest mistake the writers made. If only they had let him live and escape, only to keep in touch with Dexter in the later seasons by letters, e-mails or an occasional phone call... Playing Lecter-esque mind games and so on.

Sorry for the rant, I just had to let it out
    Last edited by Rooster; 06-24-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Yeah, I pretty much have to agree with all of that I suppose. And yet I still love the show in general. Maybe it was the quality of the performances that kept me going? For me it was always fun, even when it was less than stellar. I intend to rewatch it at some point, but maybe just the first four seasons.

You really made excellent points. Well done.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I see what you mean, and looks like you've enjoyed the later seasons of the show more than me. I've followed the show closely, eagerly expecting each episode, but it wasn't until the last 3 seasons or so that I realised something was missing.

Now that I look back it's even worse, other than the first two (and, to a degree, the fourth) seasons I only very vaguely remember the plots of each season at all.
    I agree I honesty can't remember anything from season 7 and the last episode of Dexter was one of the worst series finales ever

2 members appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    I agree I honesty can't remember anything from season 7 and the last episode of Dexter was one of the worst series finales ever
    Was the 7th season the one with Tom Hanks's son (and that awfully predictable plot twist) as the religious nut as the main big bad? Or was that the 6th season? I can't remember at all. This is my main beef with the series - while the latter seasons did have some great episodes they were too far in between, but the main storylines were just nothing memorable, basically Dexter on autopilot. Or the plotlines just didn't work at all, as with Dexter being Debra's crush thingy. Or the fact that Debra tried to kill Dexter in the 8th season, and it was all forgotten one or two episodes afterwards. Or Dr. Vogel, who's repeatedly acted so far out of her character it was just unbelievable (for somebody who was supposed to be an expert on psychopaths/sociopaths she missed too many clues about people she was in contact with).

I was a big fan of the show once, but in the end every episode was a chore. I just sat through them so that I would finally see how it would all end. I've invested too much time in the series to not see the ending.

It's nice to discuss this here with others who followed the show, without it turning into a bitchfest (everyone is entitled to their own opinion after all). It wasn't the worst show, but it could have been so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much have to agree with all of that I suppose. And yet I still love the show in general. Maybe it was the quality of the performances that kept me going? For me it was always fun, even when it was less than stellar. I intend to rewatch it at some point, but maybe just the first four seasons.

You really made excellent points. Well done.
    The quality of the performances was, more than a couple of times, outstanding. Maybe not Breaking Bad level outstanding, but Jennifer Carpenter did a few brilliant performances, as well as Michael C. Hall (especially when Dexter completely lost it in the 5th season, killing a random guy in some public restroom and let out that scream of pure rage). Or John Lithgow.

The acting was something that was saving the show, very good point there!