Thread: Remembrance

1 members appreciate this post.

Default Remembrance

All across Europe today people are commemorating the start of the great tragedy known as World War I. I thought it fitting to take a moment to commemorate it here, on The Offspring BBS. Why, you may ask? Because this forum is as good a reminder as any of how far we have come. Yes, the world still struggles with the evils of war, yet the average citizens of the world, people like you and I, have never been so united. The internet has allowed us to form bonds of friendship and entire communities with like-minded individuals from around the globe. This is a magnificent thing and I suspect most of us take it for granted more often than not. Today, I would like to suggest we take a moment to really savour how fucking awesome this all is. How fucking awesome our lives are and how fucking awesome it is that we all get to know each other.

The bonds we all share here are a worthy testament to those who lost their lives in the trenches, the skies, the seas and their homes. I doubt any of them thought they were fighting for this, but I like to think they'd be proud of us now.

Again, I know the world is far from perfect. We've got a long way to go. But we've come a long way too, and today, out of respect, I feel like highlighting the positive.

To the Lost.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Yet, the BBS is so dead like it has experienced some kind of war. The great dying of dinosaurs, pardon, moderators, haha. The 3rd BBS world war somewhere around 2007? Negativity for the win, yay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

We haven't exactly advanced any as a species since 1917. Same old shit, different cultural and technological specifics.

As all those guys die out, that lived through the two world wars, the next generations aren't going to have that perspective, no reason it all can't or won't happen again.

Oh I couldn't, couldn't agree more. Human perfectibility? What a joke.

We haven't had a global scale war since 1945, life expectancy, and global quality of life have all gone up since 1917. (With an obvious dip for WW2). I don't know what you're talking about Eskimo, we're making leaps and bounds in improvement. Maybe not fast enough, but we havem't had a stretch of global peace in this long, since like ever. (And when I say global peace, I mean all of our conflicts are highly regional, which is an improvement.)

I have no strong feelings about WWI, and there are things about this coming century that seriously concern me, but as far as being a homo sapien goes, this is a fantastic time to be alive. Now, or back when we hunted stegasaurus, thats a toss-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Of course we haven't had mass-scale global conflict since WWII. You'd be nuts to think we've somehow evolved past that, though. It'll happen again eventually, we're human. It's basically what we do, how we've evolved. Fight, kill, conquer, self-preserve. Technology doesn't, and won't ever, fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    You'd be nuts to think we've somehow evolved past that, though.

It'll happen again eventually, we're human.
    That's just too fucking brave opinion.

We will see...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

Wholehearted agreement with Eskimo, there. We owe this truce of sorts since the end of WW2 through the overarching instinct of self-preservation, not through some misty-eyed desire of peace.