Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Robin Williams

Default R.I.P. Robin Williams

He died today. That's sad.
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

Too bad RIP

He hasn't made a good movie in whats felt like years. Yet it always seemed like he was out to cheer people up. Super sad.

I love that this thread didn't follow the tacky ____ is DEAD convention. Thanks for being respectful.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    He hasn't made a good movie in whats felt like years.
    Huh, true. Looking at his imdb profile, the last prominent films he did were Death to Smoochy and One Hour Photo. And those weren't even that good... gotta look back to Patch Adams and What Dreams May Come, which were 16 years ago. Damn.

Anyway, my thoughts.

As the posters here at the bbs know, 99% of the time, I really couldn't care much less about celebrity deaths. I see it as, people die. I don't care more just because I've heard of them. And it especially irritates me every time how actors get so much more attention than people who do far more important and incredible things.

There has only been one person who died that I didn't know (though I met him briefly twice) that made me genuinely sad, and this was one of my biggest musical influences, whose lyrics and emotion touched me on a deep level. Otherwise, I can't say I've ever been sad about the death of someone I didn't really know.

That said, this is truly a weird sensation. Robin Williams is dead? As a Wisconsinite/true cheesehead who was a child in the early 90s, this feels a lot like when Brett Favre left the Packers. Something I've always known is gone. I only knew a world where Brett Favre led my Packers; I've only known a world where Robin Williams was acting. He was everywhere for anyone who grew up with a Hollywood life - Aladdin, Jumanji, Patch Adams, Toys, Hook, Good Morning Vietnam, Flubber, The Birdcage, One Hour Photo... I doubt I've seen more films with any particular actor than him. And he's been parodied everywhere in the US. It will be weird with him gone.

Dude was seriously probably one of the best actors of my lifetime at least. Thinking back to all those roles, he nailed them despite their diversity.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

1 members appreciate this post.

I'm just going to come out and say it - I loved that shitty R.V. movie.

I feel bad saying the same thing millions are already spouting it, but it seems like Robin Williams was synonymous with my childhood. Most of his classics were charming and funny, and have aged well over time. Though I feel like everyone posting pictures of Genie and his other roles choose to remember the character, not the man. His death is terrible, and the aspect of suicide is even worse. Oh well, I hope his family can find peace, and the media will eventually calm down. R.I.P.
    Night brings bad dreams
    Bad dreams and guillotines

A nineties icon is dead, RIP Robin Williams.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    Though I feel like everyone posting pictures of Genie and his other roles choose to remember the character, not the man.
    His characters are what 95% of people know about him, though. People who knew him personally, or were deeply into his standup (much more personal) are likely not posting pictures of him in his roles. The rest of us only knew his roles, and that is what we'll miss. It's a bit disingenuous for most of us to act like we're going to miss *him* personally, like we knew him at all...

I quite like the Genie one that's going around.

Not to be a buzzkill on that...
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...iberation.html

No, I agree; we'll all miss his acting, that's probably how most of us know him in the first place. I didn't know him personally, but I don't think that you have to know someone X amount to grieve their passing.
    Night brings bad dreams
    Bad dreams and guillotines

3 members appreciate this post.

I may be in the minority, but I believe that if someone is so terribly unhappy on this earth that they'd so strongly rather not be on it anymore, I do see that as setting themselves free. I have fortunately never hated life enough to truly be suicidal, but I can't imagine what it's like for someone who has. We can medicate and we can therapy a person all we want, but who's to say that shit even actually helps in some cases? Williams was rich and had access to the best drugs and best therapists. And he was still depressed enough to end his life.

I also do not care for the sentiment that suicide is "selfish". Yes, you hurt loved ones by killing yourself. I'm sure that haunts suicidal people until the bitter end, and often the only reason they keep struggling as long as they do. But sometimes we have to do something for ourselves, despite how it might affect others. I think it would be selfish to say that an utterly depressed person should not end their own life because it's gonna make me sad.

I do agree that it's important for young depressed people to not get the impression that suicide = freedom, but that's not the point here. The point is that we can seek some solace in the fact that someone who struggled so much in his life can now perhaps rest and may be free from whatever pain he was trying to escape.