Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P. Robin Williams

A lot of people see depression as something you can get out of and it can only last so long, just stick it out until you make it. So when people commit suicide there are always questions like 'how could he do that to his family?', 'that's so selfish', 'everything gets better, you just need to stick it out and not give up'. From my perspective, no one looks at it and acknowledges that they are giving up on a better tomorrow or acknowledging that it wont get better, so much as they are utterly incapable of dealing with life and find themselves in unbearable pain. Suicide is not a means to an end, it is the end.

That said, I've gone through some pretty depressive states where I've looked back and couldn't tell you why I was like that or what happened to make me so depressed. It's not even a combination of things, I wasn't depressed and then I was. I think about that a lot when I'm feeling good, and how I've got to remember that half the time I can't even remember why I felt so awful. That's really it though, you don't know why you hate life, and yourself, and living. You just know that you do and it's horrendous and unbearable and you have the power to end it all.

I don't know man, it's a really tough subject. I've never genuinely contemplated suicide, but I can understand how some would, and I don't know that we can really blame anyone for that. Maybe if someone close to me had killed themselves, I would feel differently about it.

it's not exactly a parallel, but no one calls cancer patients in favor of euthanasia selfish. they have loved ones who want more time with them too, but they live everyday in excruciating pain.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 08-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

A comedian I follow who also went through depression and addiction pointed out that you actually do think about your family at that moment, you simply conclude they'd be better off.

Suicide is stiln pretty taboo as a topic of conversation, so I'm generally fine if people phrase themselves awkwardly. But the people who condemn suicide as selfish often come off as spoiled brats trying to 'brand' themselves as the opposite by showing the world they have deep controversial opinions on serious subjects. The people who call suicide selfish are easily the most selfish, they want to change the subject from people commonly grieving someone beloved, to how edgy that person is. Because they are spoiled idiots they also tend to think they are on solid ice while saying it. Pretty chickenshit.

Thankfully no one's expressed that opinion yet on this board, which is surprising. Except Mega Man who bravely linked an article that criticizes a specific phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

1 members appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Thankfully no one's expressed that opinion yet on this board, which is surprising.
    I think it makes total sense that this community might be able to understand concepts like depression and suicide better than a random sample of the populace might. I mean, I didn't start listening to The Offspring because I was happy and well adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    A lot of people see depression as something you can get out of and it can only last so long, just stick it out until you make it.
    I think perhaps people who have never experienced depression can't possibly understand it. Like you basically said, depression doesn't have to make any sense. So to someone who has never experienced it just saying "cheer up" is valid. Seeing it as something that will pass is valid. How could they possibly know how ridiculous, random, persistent and pervasive depression can be? You really have to experience it to understand it, I feel. So, in the same way I would never blame someone for their mental illness, I also try not to blame "normal" people who don't understand. They may well be incapable of understanding.

I have found it helped me to accept that depression is something I'm always going to struggle with. It's a part of me. I'm not going to grow out of it and no magic pill will make it go away. It will come and it will go as it pleases and all I can do is manage it as best as possible.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I drank from your hands I drank from your mouth you poured into me until I was drowned I had no breath was drunk on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Meet HAU, the philosopher.
    Dr. Hause transcends labels. He is both human and humanity.

I drank from your hands I drank from your mouth you poured into me until I was drowned I had no breath was drunk on you.

1 members appreciate this post.

I don't really understand the RIP stuff. It's not like the dead can hear us, right?

But I'm sorry to learn he was depressed, he was good at what he did and brought joy to those who watched him. I'd always thought his was quite a sad smile, mind you. But then again, it's well-known that clowns and people who devote their life to making others laugh are usually in need of being cheered up themselves.

Shit is scary, even people open about depression are fucking dead. Some soccer player from Germany. I don't know what does it say about medicine or weak personalities. Maybe it's the shitty culture.

Doctors pump them full of chemical crap that everyone, no matter their age or build, should stay away from.

Nah, that's bullshit. Pills are not an enemy. I know some case from Slovakia. He stopped taking pills, but did not throw them away, kept them somewhere, then probably got attacked by depression, ate all the pills at once and poisoned himself. He seemed like smart man. He is fucking dead.

Here is the German soccer player:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ermann-3887018
    The 33-year-old, who started at Hertha Berlin, wrote a book about tackling depression in football but died yesterday

Here is the other one from 2009:
    http://content.time.com/time/world/a...938319,00.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Enke#Death

Shit is difficult to comprehend.

Late to the game here, but the poster who called him a "90s icon" can eat a dick. The guy was a big name since, what, '81, and pretty well-known as a stand-up for about a decade before then?

I slappa yew.