Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nofx

Default Nofx

A thread for NOFX.

I'm only just starting to get into them, after a while knowing I would like them. I'm gonna see them in Barwon Heads in November. (That's in Australia)

Tips for good songs?

They have a tremendous amount of records, and most of them have plenty of great songs in it, so that's a tough one.

If you'd like a certain song recommendation and you haven't heard anything by them(which is uncommon), I'd recommend going with the standards that everybody knows and likes. You know, Linoleum, Leave It Alone, Bob, The Separation Of Church And Skate, Dinosaurs Will Die.. check these out and go from there.

Albums I recommend most are So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes, Pump Up The Valuum, Punk In Drublic, War On Errorism, also the latest ones like Coaster and Self Entitled are quite good, catchy and fun. But you could pick any album(aside from Liberal Animation or Maximum RockNRoll, these are only amusing) and you'd find some favorite songs on it for sure.

When you have listened to them long enough, you are ready for the biggest masterpiece they've done - The Decline. An 18-minute astonishing epic punk rock song. But don't let this be the first one you listen from them.

That might be it and opinions on best albums may differ from fan to fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

I generally agree with dff, except I see no reason not to start with The Decline. It kind of sums them up perfectly, and it's fantastic.

I just saw them twice in the last 3 weeks... fun show The only thing that sucked was at the show in Slovenia, during their set a security guard attacked one of the fans who jumped up on stage - threw him to the ground and everything - and NOFX just kept playing while the security guard took the fan backstage... until the entire audience started booing and the band was forced to stop. Kinda knocked off some points for me. I thought NOFX would be the kind of guys who would've stood up for their fan, rather than just watching as a buffoon security guard attacked him.

Otherwise, I enjoyed their set both times, and Fat Mike is hilarious. The second time I saw them, Skrillex was playing on the other main stage. Fat Mike is all, "You guys are aware that Skrillex is playing, right? Right over there..." the audience booed, and Mike goes, "You guys, I feel bad making fun of him because he can't make fun of us back. He'd just be like "wub wub wub *fart noise*", and I don't understand that language."

Win.
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I generally agree with dff, except I see no reason not to start with The Decline. It kind of sums them up perfectly, and it's fantastic.
    I kinda meant it in a "save the best for the last" way, but mostly, some years ago when I played this song for some of my friends who didn't know NOFX at all, they just said it was "okay". Now how is this song only OKAY??

I also don't understand why they wouldn't stand up for a fan who was getting beaten by the guard. Maybe they were a bit wasted or something? Or they didn't like the guy, that might be not so wonderful but it happens. Watch the series Backstage Passport btw it's a lot of fun.
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by dff_punk View Post
    I kinda meant it in a "save the best for the last" way, but mostly, some years ago when I played this song for some of my friends who didn't know NOFX at all, they just said it was "okay". Now how is this song only OKAY??
    Weird. I mean, even from the standpoint of not liking punk, it's a very good song. I could understand finding most NOFX music only "okay" if you're not into the style, but The Decline is fantastic. Those friends of yours are dumb

I also don't understand why they wouldn't stand up for a fan who was getting beaten by the guard. Maybe they were a bit wasted or something? Or they didn't like the guy, that might be not so wonderful but it happens. Watch the series Backstage Passport btw it's a lot of fun.
    I don't think they even noticed the guy until he was being attacked, so there was no reason to believe they didn't like the guy. When the guy was being shoved to the ground, Fat Mike's attention was grabbed, he looked on and said, "Uh oh..." and then continued singing. It was definitely messed up. After having to stop due to the booing, Mike said, "Hey, it wasn't ME," which obviously didn't help, as that's a very childish response. Then he said something about how you have to be responsible for your crew, which also didn't help because it didn't excuse the guy getting beaten. Finally, he apologized, and said some crap about, "We're sorry, that was messed up. To make it up to you guys, we're gonna play a special song". They played the same song at the second concert, so that was a load of BS.

Will check out that series.

I don't think they even noticed the guy until he was being attacked, so there was no reason to believe they didn't like the guy. When the guy was being shoved to the ground, Fat Mike's attention was grabbed, he looked on and said, "Uh oh..." and then continued singing. It was definitely messed up. After having to stop due to the booing, Mike said, "Hey, it wasn't ME," which obviously didn't help, as that's a very childish response. Then he said something about how you have to be responsible for your crew, which also didn't help because it didn't excuse the guy getting beaten. Finally, he apologized, and said some crap about, "We're sorry, that was messed up. To make it up to you guys, we're gonna play a special song". They played the same song at the second concert, so that was a load of BS.
    Well, that seems like they didn't know how to deal with it(which is absurd since they play gigs for like 30 years), or they just didn't want to have anything to do with it. But that certainly is no "punk" thing to do although from some point of view it might seem like it

I just saw them twice in the last 3 weeks... fun show The only thing that sucked was at the show in Slovenia, during their set a security guard attacked one of the fans who jumped up on stage - threw him to the ground and everything - and NOFX just kept playing while the security guard took the fan backstage... until the entire audience started booing and the band was forced to stop. Kinda knocked off some points for me. I thought NOFX would be the kind of guys who would've stood up for their fan, rather than just watching as a buffoon security guard attacked him.
    Yeah, that sucked, but otherwise it was a great show. This was my 3rd time seeing them, and had a blast! Hell, the whole festival was one big party

By the way, nice meeting you again, too. It's a shame you couldn't stay until Friday when we played, at least our crowd would have been bigger by one person (or you could just take the full advantage of our cocktail parties during the days leading up to that, but that's another story)

I saw NOFX when they played before offspring at Ink N Iron Festival last year and they were really good

Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Quote Originally Posted by dff_punk View Post
    Well, that seems like they didn't know how to deal with it(which is absurd since they play gigs for like 30 years), or they just didn't want to have anything to do with it. But that certainly is no "punk" thing to do although from some point of view it might seem like it
    I think they just didn't really care, which is sad. I don't think they're bad guys, but it was a big mistake and there should've been a bigger apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Yeah, that sucked, but otherwise it was a great show. This was my 3rd time seeing them, and had a blast! Hell, the whole festival was one big party

By the way, nice meeting you again, too. It's a shame you couldn't stay until Friday when we played, at least our crowd would have been bigger by one person (or you could just take the full advantage of our cocktail parties during the days leading up to that, but that's another story)
    Yeah it was cool seeing ya I was really surprised at how small Punk Rock Holiday is, though. At first I thought I would've liked to stay for the whole thing, but it's just too small. Lagwagon was super worth the trip, though - and The Toasters were good, too! Even though catching a train back to LJ at 4am and getting home at 7am really sucked... Glad you guys had a great time