Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Narrowing down the list of questions for Greg. Have an interesting one, yourself?

Default Narrowing down the list of questions for Greg. Have an interesting one, yourself?

I've been pursuing this endeavor for about 20 months and it's about to become a reality. Considering what Noodles said when I met the band in Philadelphia, Greg must have already given the okay for me to interview him and he was quite friendly to me when I met him, despite the fact that I caught him off guard. I don't know when, where, or by what means it will take place but, since I know for sure now that it will happen, I've been narrowing down my list of questions for him to my very best ones. However, I'm willing to trim a few of my own off in order to add some questions by other fans. This will likely be one of the few times Greg will hear questions directly from the fans, so I want to let your voices be heard, too.

Questions including one or more of the following criteria have the best chance of being considered.
    1. Most importantly, no sarcastic, rude, or inappropriate questions. I won't dignify them with a reply and they certainly won't be passed along to Greg.
    2. Don't make your questions too personal, especially because this is Greg we're talking about.
    3. Have them be something only Greg can answer or something you want to know from his point of view.
    4. Make them interesting and something he hasn't been asked before, or even something the rest of the band hasn't been asked before.
    5. They could be something Greg might have to think about a bit before answering.

I'm looking forward to reading what you come up with, though, I'm not expecting much of a turnout. Those of you who take this seriously and participate have my sincerest gratitude.

P.S. No, I won't be posting my questions for him.

If this smile says anything about how Greg feels about me interviewing him, then it's going to be one for the record books!

Edit: I'd like to show you the first time Greg was told directly that I wanted to interview him and given supporting documents in the form of a petition with 87 signatures of those in favor of me interviewing him and 3 sample questions I picked out. Noodles may have mentioned it to him before, but this is the first time we can see his reaction to the information. Go to 3:28 to see that part. He refers to me as "Our Melyssa" and seemed fairly interested in what he was told about it.
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 09-03-2014 at 02:26 AM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

1 members appreciate this post.

I can list a couple that come into mind, you're doing such a nice thing!

1 - what's your favourite bassline of your catalogue
    2 - what's the offspring song you're most proud of
    3 - what's your least favourite song of your catalogue
    4 - a song you'd like to play that you never play live? not only old but even recent.
    5 - what happened to the "k" basses, why don't you play them anymore and where do you hide them?
    6 - and the one with the lights on the fretboard? it was so amazing! why abandoning it?
    7- a couple of years ago Dexter and Noodles let grow back their hair, have you ever thought of having again your '93 hairstyle? (shaved on the sides and long hair)

if any of these will manage to make it doesn't matter, can't wait to read your interview! oh btw... no chance that you're gonna film it? that would be rad!
    My Guitars cover channel

Batman Ninja guitars ---- > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsu...mNXVmfkL4Mi32Q

Those are some great quesions! Thank you for your speedy reply and enthusiasm. I can only hope I can conduct the interview in person. I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S, which takes beautiful high-definition videos. Even if I had to set it up or ask someone told hold it while the interview takes place, it would be such a wonderful experience to get on video. I mean, when does a FAN get to seriously interview a rock star? And, as just a fan and not a journalist, I feel I bring a little something extra to the table since it's not a job and I'm not getting a paycheck from it. In fact, depending on the circumstances, I may need to pay a pretty penny to get this done, but it would be worth it.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.

Here are some questions I'd like to ask Greg:

1. What's your favorite Offspring album of all time?
    2. What's your favorite Offspring song of all time?
    3. Is it possible that we'll see an "Ixnay on the Hombre" 20th anniversary tour in 2017?
    4. Will this Big 4 tour that includes The Offspring, Green Day, Rancid and Bad Religion ever become a reality?
    5. Do you still see or talk to Ron Welty? If yes, will we ever a see an Offspring reunion with him?
    6. How exactly did you and Dexter come up with the name The Offspring?
    7. What are some of the newer bands you enjoy listening to?
    8. Is Time Bomb (the label that released the Summer Nationals EP) officially The Offspring's new record label?
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

I would be curious, if he was willing to talk about
    and explain what exactly happened to cause Ron Welty
    to leave the band? I have heard a lot of rumors, I think
    one time I read Greg say the other 3 forced him out,
    others say Ron left on his own because Ron wanted
    more input into songs, and I wonder is that bad thing?

Others say Ron wanted to go in one direction and the
    other 3 said if you don't shut up you are out.. and then
    Ron was out.

I wonder what happened there?
    Was it a long time coming or was it sudden?
    Do the other 3 regret Ron leaving? What direction did Ron
    want to go which the other 3 did not? or was it just time
    to move on, like people some times do... which is why I
    respect long term bands so much, it is not easy for humans
    to stay together for long periods, it takes work.

Anyway, I have seen The Offspring many many times over the
    years and I think Ron was an awesome drummer for this band
    he kicked ass on those drums, not saying the replacement
    drummers are not good too, it is just that Ron was awesome.
    He beat the shit out of those drums.

TL/DR

Greg- "Would you be willing to please explain in detail
    what happened that led up to Ron Welty leaving the band?

I doubt he will want to talk about it,
    but that is what I would be curious about. Thanks for asking

I think I could word that in a sensitive way, letting him know that many people have been curious for years about that, because it's true. I'll also tell him that I completely understand if he doesn't want to talk about that. I wouldn't want to cause an awkward pause during the interview, but I will see if I can work that in somewhere in an inocuous way.

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    I think I could word that in a sensitive way, letting him know that many people have been curious for years about that, because it's true. I'll also tell him that I completely understand if he doesn't want to talk about that. I wouldn't want to cause an awkward pause during the interview, but I will see if I can work that in somewhere in an innocuous way.
    You are awesome... you really "get it"
    Thank you and good luck with the interview, that should be fun... ONE FINE DAY it will be.

I'd be interested in his input in songwriting (if any). Has he proposed any songs for Dexter? How often do his own ideas find their way into the band's songs?

When the band started, did he believe it would go beyond local shows? If Smash didn't become the hit it did, would he leave the band with Noodles?

Any interesting early members (Jim Benton was also on the Cross Country team with him and Dexter)?

When/why did he pick up bass? First model? Favorite model?

If any of these have already been answered, please disregard. It's not that often we get to hear from Greggor himself (any relevance to that nickname, by the way?)
    Night brings bad dreams
    Bad dreams and guillotines

Actually, a few of the questions you guys have posted are the same or similar to my own questions. I'm very happy you guys are thinking like I am about these questions. Keep'em comin'!

Also, who were his early influences when it came to being in a punk band, as opposed to just being in a general rock band? I remember seeing a picture of him holding the Dead Kennedys' Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables.

And what were his general early musical inspirations as a child? Like how Noodles grew up listening to the Ventures
    Night brings bad dreams
    Bad dreams and guillotines