Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a new guitar

Default Help me pick a new guitar

If you've read my post in the "Post a picture of you instrument!" thread then you should know why I'm making this post- but in short, i need a new guitar and I need help choosing. I want something retro, different but not too perculiar. I don't want a big scary BC Rich slipknot guitar, just something nice and new that'll fit in a punk band. Here's some of the guitars that I was thinking about:

Gibson Les Paul
    Gibson SG
    Blue Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod
    Pale Blue Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    White Ibanez RG

Don't worry about the Jazz Guitar in there, Dexter's used one of them as with most of those models. Which one should I get though?? Obviously most of them will be copies as I'm only 13 lol.

Gone_AwayUK

I say go for the Stratocaster or RG. I'd suggest the Les Paul, but given you're only 13 the weight will probably be too much to play easily (and that's with a copy, the originals are made of far heavier materials). Though if you do get one get a Black Beauty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What exactly is your price range? Are there any particular features that you need? Do you need a floyd rose bridge? Do you like humbuckers or single coils? Do you prefer 22 fret guitar or 24 fret guitars? Do you like your necks thin, thick, or whatever? What amp do you have at the moment? All those guitars you mentioned are extremely different so I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for in a guitar. I'm a giant Ibanez whore so i'd get the rg. I have a similar one but in black.
    Last edited by Jebus; 04-02-2005 at 02:52 PM.

Ibanez RG - very good for punk.

Talking of the RG series whats this particular one's say to you guys? It worth the cash?

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/searc...ils.asp?ID=722

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/searc...ils.asp?ID=744

I really like the first one. But seriously, what are the main differences?

Talking of the RG series whats this particular one's say to you guys? It worth the cash?

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/sear...ails.asp?ID=722

http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/sear...ails.asp?ID=744
    I really like the first one. But seriously, what are the main differences?

The rg2550 hands down is the best one. The rg350 is made in Korea while the rg2550 is made in japan. The quality control in japan is much better than in korea. The Edge Pro floating tremolo on the rg2550 stay in tune better than the rg350's Edge III after heavy tremolo bar use. You'll also won't be able to play any other neck after you try the rg2550's Wizard neck. It's extremely thin and smooth. It pratically plays itself. The wizard neck is a 5 piece maple neck with two bubinga stripes in the middle which helps prevent neck warpage. The pickups on the rg2550 are custom dimarzios so you cant go wrong with them while the rg350 has mediocre stock ibanez pickups which aren't that terrible but can't compare to the dimarzios. The rg2550 also has directly mounted pickups which enhance the sustain. Don't get me wrong about the rg350 though. The rg350 is still a great guitar but it isn't as good as the rg2550. Infact, I own the very same rg350ex in that link you posted If you have the money, you could try buying some dimarzio pickups of your choice and putting them in the cheaper rg350 which could make it sound just as good or even better than the rg2550. The trem the rg2550 would still be better than the rg350's though. Even though the rg2550's trem will stay in tune better than the rg350 after whammy bar use, the rg350 will stay in perfect tune forever if you dont use the bar. You could read my review of the rg350ex at http://www.musicianforums.com/forums...10#post6767610
    Last edited by Jebus; 04-02-2005 at 06:48 PM.

My price range is within zero to 250. I'm looking for a medium weight, good for rhythm guitarists and with a medium sized neck. I used to have a copy of a les paul but the neck (strange enough as it sounds) has warped. Unusual I know.

I own both a Stratocaster and Les Paul, and you know, the best of all my guitars is actually a nameless 170 one I bought from Argos. My Les Paul has a dull sound in comparison. Oh, and the necks of Les Pauls (for me) are difficult to play... too wide generally. Go with the Strat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You really can't go wrong with this Ibanez rg. Since you play rhythm, simplicity will be your friend so you'll won't need a floyd. The rg321 will deliver the tone without any bells and whistles.
    http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html

I used to have a copy of a les paul but the neck (strange enough as it sounds) has warped. Unusual I know.
    Since you left it infront of the radiator, the humidity around the guitar changed drastically which is what causes extreme neck bow.