Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Kozik hates Americana

Default Frank Kozik hates Americana

Wow I didn't know this I guess that explains why he didn't do another album with the band.

http://diffuser.fm/cover-stories-the...ing-americana/
    http://www.avclub.com/article/frank-kozik-13635

Whoever says that americana is the worst, even considering only the catalogue up until that poin has no clue what he's talking about (music).
    It's just the whole "mainstream" thing again and again... fuck so sick of it. And he said he is a whore himself when it comes to money... pathetic.
    My Guitars cover channel

Batman Ninja guitars ---- > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsu...mNXVmfkL4Mi32Q

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter_italy View Post
    Whoever says that americana is the worst, even considering only the catalogue up until that poin has no clue what he's talking about (music).
    It's just the whole "mainstream" thing again and again... fuck so sick of it. And he said he is a whore himself when it comes to money... pathetic.
    I agree to think bad about someone for being on a major label and then saying your a whore for money is very hypocritical if you ask me

I think people will say whatever to shock... or earn some more money. So I don't give a shit about what he's saying. I've read it some time ago and didn't care much.
    this is all I need - and this is all I need to know
    I'll be lost until the music takes control

I am not sure what is leading you to believe he hates it...

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    I am not sure what is leading you to believe he hates it...

Specifically this part and the answer to the last question

O: Do people ever commission you to do album covers or posters for bands you hate?

FK: I've only done... One time I owed somebody a favor, so I did a Bob Weir poster, and I hate that shit, all right? That was maybe 15 years ago. There have been a couple of things where, if I hadn't stiffed them for triple the normal amount, I wouldn't have done it. There's been a couple... Like, for example, that Offspring thing. Dexter [Holland, the singer] is an okay guy, and I know him from a long time ago. I was really hesitant about that. They really wanted me to do it, and I actually had a phone call with him. I go, "You understand that people are gonna give me shit, so I've got to charge you, like, 75 grand to do this." And he was like, [grudgingly] "Okay." So, I figure, I'll take a few angry letters in return for 75K.

O: I almost bought a copy of that piece as a silkscreen poster in a gallery seven years ago.

FK: Yeah, I mean, that's the thing, too. I told him that the thing has been around forever. It was originally a poster for this really cool band called Ritual Device out of Nebraska. I used it as the cover of my first book [1997's Man's Ruin: The Poster Art Of Frank Kozik]. He's just in love with that image, so it was kind of like, okay, old image, lot of money... I've really got to stick it to Columbia Records.

O: I'd have been super-pissed if I'd bought that particular print, though. That album is the worst.

FK: It is the worst. I told him, but... Yeah, of course, I'm not Jesus Christ. Someone comes along, I'll whore myself, sure. But it's few and far between. By and large, what I do is take that money and blow it on the label, so I get to put out Fuck Emos records and shit, which I adore and nobody buys, so karmically I think I'm in balance.

The premise of the OP is beyond me. Makes no sense.

Come on, guys, it's not a stretch. The guy's tempering himself a bit so as to not sound like a complete prick. It's clear he thinks the band are the gorilla taint.

And that's fine, different strokes for different folks. He got paid a bunch, we got a cool cover out of it, what does anything else matter?

I always liked the little boy on the cover

Yeah... a job is a job, and everyone has different tastes in music. Can't really expect artists to necessarily like all the work of the people they do their job for. It's not like he dissed any of the band members... he just isn't into the music. No big deal. He did a stellar job with that artwork regardless - Americana has the best album art of all their albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk