Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Canada thread

Default The Canada thread

I'm constantly seeing comparissons of the United States to it's friendly neighbor to the north. What do you think of Canada's politics and culture? Too far to the left, too far to the right, too much descriminalized drug use, too cold?

I'll be the only person on here who says too far to the left.

I honestly don't know much about Canadian culture or politics though. Just that it's ridiculous that they have so much representatives of the Queen there.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Yeah, I'm not sure why we have representatives of the queen either. Right now all they do is serve the same function as diplomats.

Well, I know the whole world doesn't hate Canada therefore Canada must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel_Blue_Ibanez
    Well, I know the whole world doesn't hate Canada therefore Canada must be doing something right.

I think that's more of a reflection that Canada isn't doing anything than that it's doing the right things. Nobody hates Antartica either.

I think they're system of socialized medicine is flawed - it's my opinion that the best system is one of both privatized and public medicine. Other than that, their civil rights record seems good... though the fact that 75% of their industry is owned by the U.S. should probably be a reason to pause.

I don't know much about Canadian politics other than what I gather every now and then.
    “It is a strange paradox that today’s central banks are generally staffed by economists, who by and large profess a belief in a theory which says that their jobs are, at the best, unnecessary, and more likely wealth-destroying. Needless to say, this is not a point widely discussed among respectable economists. Nevertheless, it is an issue worth pondering.”

George Cooper, The Origin of Economic Crises

Hmm... I've never really been in the U.S. for a long period of time, so sometimes it's hard to really know the differences.

For one, it's WAY TOO COLD.

In terms of politics, I believe it's too left... I totally don't understand why WCM would say so as well... am I totally not understanding where you're coming from?

A lot of people in Canada think they're far superior to Americans and that bothers me because we owe so much to them, and they're really not THAT different.

In terms of culture I think Canada can be pretty cool. We've got the Quebecers who are totally crazy (in a good way). And the northerners who are also pretty crazy. They love the outdoors, partying, and drinking lots of beer. That's how I grew up. Then there are the big cities like Toronto and Vancouver that are super multicultural. I think white people are in a minority there, maybe. It can be pretty neat but it's VERY busy and hectic. Also, I find that the cultures all tend to stick together and so even though everybody's living together, they're still sorta isolated. I kinda like the idea of one big happy family instead, but I guess people just don't work that way. Umm... I have no idea how different this can be from other cultures, it's pretty hard to explain it sometimes and you just have to experience it.

I think it's good that the drinking age here is 19 (and 18 in some provinces). Whenenver I go to the US I can't buy alcohol! Also, I believe that marijuana should be legalized, but I guess that's another issue.

100% support of two tier healthcare. But people are scared of that.

If Canada's too far to the left, then how come it has such a higher standard of living then the United States? Beliefs are beliefs, but the facts show that Canada has a wider middle class and much less poverty, higher literacy rate, lower infant mortality rate, incarceration rate, crime rate in every degree, etc... I don't know exactly what they're doing but it seems to be working pretty well, or at least better then it does in the states.

Yahoo Canada!

Jake, you're not allowed to reply to my topics.