Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Offspring or Bad Religion?

You know, I'm totally a bigger fan of Offspring's songs... way more into seeing them live and buying their albums... but Bad Religion is so much more musically talented. I mean, Dexter writes good songs and lyrics, but the band just can't perform on their instruments. Good song writers, unimpressive musical skills. But Bad Religion is amazing musically.

However, Offspring has far more amazing songs than Bad Religion. So they win for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

This thread has my first really really drunk post. (Now I never have problems with spelling, or accidentally switching languages.) I was really fucked up though that night 6 years ago.

Time flies, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

By the way, I am just listening to the brand new Bad Religion live cd "30 Years Live"... it did not disappoint(how can Bad Religion disappoint? it was completely what I expected).
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by dff_punk View Post
    By the way, I am just listening to the brand new Bad Religion live cd "30 Years Live"... it did not disappoint(how can Bad Religion disappoint? it was completely what I expected).
    Same here! Except I didn't know that there was even going to be a song from the upcoming album in there. Good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Ive been a fan of The Offspring pretty much my whole life, Even though BR are musically better, i still rather listen to Offspring, just something about offspring that phyches me up, where as bad religon are just one of those bands where they're awesome, but there is more stuff i would rather be listening to IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by lousyskater View Post
    the offspring pretty much copied the vandals song too much drama.

http://killamedic.bandcamp.com/releases
    A new era of punk rock, and a hotplate!
    But seriously, check out this band, if you're on the BSS, you'll love em!

It was really nice from BR to offer the download of the 30 years live thingy! I loved that one...coming home, opening my e-mail and bam! A freebie!

The Offspring only gave YGGFK as a free download...gotta work more on that and on offspringnation.com which died a bunch of time ago!
    A ghost is all that's left, of everything we swore we never would forget. Tried to bleed the sickness, but we drained our hearts instead. We are...we are the dead.

I like both of them about the same, for different reasons:

OFFSPRING

-I like their songs that are more general-themed, ones that are "just about life in general" like All I Want, Nitro, Have You Ever, Can't Repeat, etc. Those are the lyrics that hit me the most. The few songs they have that actually have guitar solos, have great (although not hard) guitar solos (Forever And A Day, Kids Aren't Alright, You're Gonna Go Far, Kid, Feelings, etc.). However, I *don't* so much care for their lyrics that are more stereotypical "rock" (like Defy You). I do like their "funny" songs, though, because they give some context to the serious ones and make them more appreciable (they're like the marshmallows in a box of lucky charms~).

-Their songs tend to use a lot of the exact same types of chords (almost always power chords/muted power chords), and very rarely try anything beyond that. Even slower songs like Fix You tend to just have arpeggiated power chords. However, most of the time the structure, lyrics and melody are unique enough to distract you from the simple instrumentation, so in the end they come across as having more unique, individualistic songs.

BAD RELIGION

-Greg Graffin is a much better singer IMO, and I really like how he's sung ever since he quit doing that nasally thing he does on No Control and Against The Grain (I give HCHBAW a free pass because it was their first album and they hadn't really found their sound yet). I prefer him over Dexter because Dexter sings at the same pitch in almost every single song, ever, whereas Greg's style and pitch varies greatly (compare "Slumber" with "Punk Rock Song," for example). Also, the harmonies in BR songs are much better and more coordinated (Sinister Rouge is a prime example); Offspring tend to just have one guy in the background wailing, "Whoa!" Which sounds alright, but it doesn't feel quite as epic or enthralling.

-As a whole, I prefer Bad Religion's lyrics over Offspring's....however, that's only back until about the Against The Grain era. Anything before that is kinda "meh" to me. Suffer, especially....the lyrics on that album are so fluffy and awkward, it sounds like he wrote it with a thesaurus on hand. The vocabulary of a given Offspring song tends to feel more natural than that of a given Bad Religion song. On the plus side, you learn more words listening to Bad Religion than you do listening to Offspring....on the negative side, though, a lot of those words are really out of place and forced (like "1000 More Fools," it has some of the worst verse lyrics of any Bad Religion song IMO, although I love the chorus).

-Bad Religion songs ALMOST ALWAYS SOUND THE SAME. They're almost always either fast with the *exact* same drum beat (the same drumbeat used in songs like Sorrow, Generator, Heaven Is Falling, and Flat Earth Society, among MANY others), with minor variations here and there, or a slower song with a steady, straightforward tempo like Faith Alone or The Answer. The chords are so very generic that most songs on a given album run together (such that they're almost completely indistinguishable from one another) until I've listened to it all the way through several times (Stranger Than Fiction, while a decent album, was like this for me). Bad Religion almost always uses the exact same song structure, the exact same chords, and the exact same solo techniques --- I would rather they have fewer solos but with more diverse techniques, like Nimrod-era Green Day, than have a solo on almost every song but have most of them sound pretty much the same. Offspring's solos are much more original, IMO, which makes up for the fact that they are so much fewer and farther between (I'd be interested to see a breakdown of "Solos Per Album" for BR and Offspring).

An example of a lazy solo for me would be "No Direction." He just follows the melody of the song with single notes (not even any accent on any of the notes, just playing them flat), and then he plays up a couple of unison bends and ends with a pick scrape. It doesn't really feel like a solo, more like a brief filler riff....and he does the exact same thing in "God Song." A much better solo, IMO, would be "Chimaera," just because you can't listen to each individual move and say, "He did that in [x song], he did that in [y song]," etc. etc.

Also, having solos here and there on an album that pretty much exclusively uses power chords in the same formations kind of creates this weird musical dissonance --- if the song is this simple to begin with, why does it *need* a solo? Why not just have it like a fast Ramones song, with a melody and verse and chorus and then it's over? That would make a lot of BR songs better IMO.

SHORT VERSION:

-Offspring = better universal lyrics, better and more unique solos, better and more unique song structure and song diversity;

-Bad Religion = better topical/philosophical lyrics, more solos (but not as good IMO), better vocals and harmonies.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    On the plus side, you learn more words listening to Bad Religion than you do listening to Offspring....
    Hehe... this kind of relieved me since I always doubt my English skills whenever I have to look up words from Bad Religion lyrics
    Quote Originally Posted by SåS View Post
    Then we got 1000+ views on our myspace, that was our biggest achievement
    Quote Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
    Our goal is to find a drummer & rythm guitarist, record a 5 song demo, get on the radio,

The Ricetigers

Quote Originally Posted by findout5 View Post
    It was really nice from BR to offer the download of the 30 years live thingy! I loved that one...coming home, opening my e-mail and bam! A freebie!

The Offspring only gave YGGFK as a free download...gotta work more on that and on offspringnation.com which died a bunch of time ago!
    I believe the original intention had been to let Conspiracy of One be an album you could download for free, however the record company cock-blocked the Offspring there.

Yes I was here at the time, it was all the talk.

So anyways don't let that take away from the Offspring.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Not a fair comparison... Offspring is in a massive huge label that wouldn't allow something like that; Bad Religion is on a smaller label and can get away with it. And yes, what WCM said.
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk